Unertl Scopes
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Unertl Scopes Author: codybrownLocation: Michigan PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:57 am
    ----
I have one of these sitting on a remington model 700, and I am thinking of swapping out for a leupold. Does anyone khow anything about theses scopes? It's a 15x fixed power.

#2: Re: Unertl Scopes Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:35 am
    ----
Well, codybrown, if it says "Unertl", it is increasingly valuable. What determines the value is the condition and the objective and tube diameter.
These model featured external adjustments and most had external recoil springs. Less successful were the internally adjusted Unertls and their value has declined.

The Unertl scope continues to be used in competition even after all these years. They have been used by the military as well as benchrest shootes and varmint hunters.

Now, relegated more to the collectible status, their value has been on the rise for the past decade or more. But, alas, they have been superceeded by today's optics and no self respecting rifleman would want one cluttering up a good rifle.

So, cody, what kind of Unertl do you have and what kind of Leupold do you want? Maybe, I can help. (smile)

#3: Re: Unertl Scopes Author: codybrownLocation: Michigan PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:49 pm
    ----
I'll get some pics uploaded

#4: Re: Unertl Scopes Author: codybrownLocation: Michigan PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:09 pm
    ----

#5: Re: Unertl Scopes Author: A17ShooterLocation: California Foothills (Gold Country) PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:09 pm
    ----
codybrown,

Unertl Repairs

get it to the hospital, quick. Or PM me. Very Happy

#6: Re: Unertl Scopes Author: codybrownLocation: Michigan PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:57 pm
    ----
pm sent....what do they sharge for repairs? Any idea if it's a flat rate, or if it depends on what they do?

#7: Re: Unertl Scopes Author: A17ShooterLocation: California Foothills (Gold Country) PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:31 am
    ----
codybrown wrote:
pm sent....what do they sharge for repairs? Any idea if it's a flat rate, or if it depends on what they do?

No idea. The only dealings I've had with Unertl was before the new management took over.

#8: Re: Unertl Scopes Author: SwampFoxLocation: Destin, Florida PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:21 pm
    ----
Cody,
Take a look here. This guy started buying used scopes in the Gun List a few years ago.

www.alexweb.net/unertl/

Unertl is a quality scope, it is an investment. Unertls apreciate. Buy a Leupold and it will loose value.

If you want a Leupold, go buy a used one, but keep the U.
Ed

#9: Re: Unertl Scopes Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:28 pm
    ----
no, no, no, Cody, don't listen to SwampFox! Unertls are heavy, obsolete and ugly and you should have something lighter and newer. Let me know if you want to trade. smiles

#10: Re: Unertl Scopes Author: codybrownLocation: Michigan PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:23 pm
    ----
I think I'm going to hold onto it for a littlw while. Do you have any used Leupold for sale Handloader? A new one isn't in my budget right now.

#11: Re: Unertl Scopes Author: A17ShooterLocation: California Foothills (Gold Country) PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:45 pm
    ----
Cody,

Just a suggestion. Check with Unertl and see if you can get the original type of lens covers. They are steel screw on covers. And while parts are still available get them to replace the bell with the dent in it. Then you will have one of those nice Unertls that sell for $600 - $1000.

Just a thought.

#12: Re: Unertl Scopes Author: codybrownLocation: Michigan PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:02 pm
    ----
I have the caps that screw into the scopes already. I think they're on in the pictures. I actually called Unertl, and they aren't accepting repairs as of right now Sad

#13: Re: Unertl Scopes Author: A17ShooterLocation: California Foothills (Gold Country) PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:05 am
    ----
codybrown wrote:
I actually called Unertl, and they aren't accepting repairs as of right now Sad

Bummer. Sad

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions