Lee trimmer-45/70
-> Reloading Ammunition

#1: Lee trimmer-45/70 Author: kbisLocation: East, Texas PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:40 pm
    ----
I am trying to reload for my 45/70, this will be the second box and I was going to trim the cases since some of them have grown some. This is Win. brass that I bought new , factory loaded, and this will be the first time it has been reloaded.

The problem is that I can not trim the case since the shaft that the cutter rides on is so tight in the neck of the case that it will not turn. I used the full length sizer, but do I also have to use the neck expander before I try to trim the cases? I have not had this problem with my 243 or 308, I just size the case and put it in the cutter and away we go.

I thought that there might be dirt in the neck, so I cleaned out the neck of several cases and the same problem. Then I thought that it might need some oil so I wiped some oil into the case, same problem.

Any ideas??
Thanks

Ken

#2: Re: Lee trimmer-45/70 Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:37 am
    ----
kbis,
I have encountered a similar situation when using a Lee trimmer with 9mm and .45 ACP cases that had been resized. The corrective action is to deprime the cases without resizing them. I use a Lee depriming rod on the fired cases. The the Lee trimmer can then be used easily. The next step after trimming, chamfering and deburring is to resize them. Try it and I am certain it will work. All the best...
Gil

#3: Re: Lee trimmer-45/70 Author: kbisLocation: East, Texas PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:55 am
    ----
Thats great if you have a depriming rod, but I don't. Do you think I should just expand the neck, I guess I have nothing to lose at this point. The first box that I reloaded, didn't have this problem.

I think I need to get the catalogs out and order a deprimer Smile .

Ken

#4: Re: Lee trimmer-45/70 Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:19 am
    ----
kbis,
Expanding the necks should give you the clearance necessary to do the required trimming. Measure the overall case lengths to determine if trimming is needed. In the future, you can deprime cases using the dies and the decapping rod turned a bit lower. That way you will not resize the brass and can use the Lee trimmer. All the best...
Gil

#5: Re: Lee trimmer-45/70 Author: kbisLocation: East, Texas PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:27 am
    ----
GilMartin

Do you mean that I can use my full lenth sizer for just a deprimer ( can you tell that I am new at this Smile )?

I measured all the brass, 4 out of 20 are within spec, the rest need trimming. I thought straight walled cases didn't grow that much. These have only been fired one time.

Thanks

Ken

#6: Re: Lee trimmer-45/70 Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:03 am
    ----
kbis,
Yes, I just looked at my RCBS .45/70 dies and the sizing die also houses the decapping rod. You can deprime with a full-length resizing die without resizing the brass. Adjust the full-length sizing die so it is well above the shell holder. Then turn the decapping rod downward so it extends below the die body. It is now set to deprime .45/70 brass without resizing the brass. OK? All the best...
Gil

-> Reloading Ammunition