I bought a new Savage Model 10
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: I bought a new Savage Model 10 Author: 204ShooterLocation: Diana, TX PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:43 pm
    ----
Hi Folks,
Last Friday morning (Black Friday) I went to WalMart and purchased a new Savage Model 10 in 243 Win. After purchasing a Savage Model 12FV last year in 204 Ruger, I have come to like Savages. I especially like the way they fit me and the Accutrigger. On Friday afternoon, I took the new gun to the range. The 3-9 x 40mm scope had been bore sighted at the factory so it didn't take me long to dial it in. I started at 50 yards and it was off only a few inches. I moved it on with a few shots and then moved the target out to 100 yards. I made some final adjustments to the scope and then decided to see what the gun could do. The weather was warm - about 70 degrees F, Sunny, and the wind was gusting up to 10-15 miles per hour from the Southeast. We shoot directly North at the Ben Avery Range in North Phoenix. I waited for the wind to calm down a bit and fired three shots slowly at a small target. The Range Master then announced the range would be closing in 1 minute so I fired another 3 shots without waiting for the wind to settle at a different target. When I retreived the targets from the 100 yard mark, I had shot a 0.3xx inch group for the first target and a 1.005 inch group at the 2nd target! I was using my 243 handloads. These consist of Winchester brass, Hornady 87 gr V-Max bullets, Federal 210 primers, and 35.6 grains of IMR4064. The speed of this load is about 2950fps and I find it to be a really accurate load. So, I think I have a winner here. Very Happy This gun will shoot a <1/2 MOA right out of the box. This why I am impressed with Savage guns!
BTW, I will try to post a picture of the targets in a few days.

#2: Re: I bought a new Savage Model 10 Author: SwampFoxLocation: Destin, Florida PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:48 pm
    ----
Hey 204shooter,
No one said a Savage 10 would not shoot..... They are a good gun for the bucks and your story is typical, except for the no load development for that specific gun.:D

If you have not done so, you might post the load in the data base, as a standard or accuracy load for the 87gr if you have gotten the load to shoot with similar results in several 243 guns. Sounds like it would be a good starter load in a load development for the 243.

Glad for you, but it sure made the load development and bullet search into a short work proposition. Very Happy
Ed

#3: Re: I bought a new Savage Model 10 Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:59 pm
    ----
I have owned a couple of savage rifles and thay all have shot very well.
Joe

#4: Re: I bought a new Savage Model 10 Author: 204ShooterLocation: Diana, TX PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:28 pm
    ----
SwampFox,
The 1 in 10 twist of the barrel limits the loads I can use. I have found the 87 gr to be about the best bullet for this barrel twist. Some people use the 95 grain bullets but I like the 87 grain a bit better. I have been using this load for a while and it is very accurate in several guns. The only problem is that I seat the bullet out further than is recommended for most 243s. Most 243 Win loads have a maximum length of 2.650 to 2.680 inches. On the guns I have checked, there is enough space between the end of the bullet and the lands to increase the length therefore placing the bullet closer to the lands. I typically set the length to 2.700 inch. I have not had any problems with feeding or pressure using this OAL. This load is not extremely fast in fact it is a bit slow - only maybe 2900-2950 fps. But, it hits what you point it at and that makes me smile....

#5: Re: I bought a new Savage Model 10 Author: FALPhilLocation: Dixie PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:39 pm
    ----
Hey, 204shooter, there are several vendors who make pre-fit barrels for your Savages. ALl you need is a vise, barrel nut wrench and headspace gage, and as long as the bolt face is correct, you hcan enjoy your new rifle in a multiplicity of cartridges.

#6: Re: I bought a new Savage Model 10 Author: SwampFoxLocation: Destin, Florida PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:19 am
    ----
You can put the data in as an amount off the lands rather than an OAL. The data base allows you to do this.

There are multiple twist rates available for the 243. You will see guns listed with 1-9 to 1-12 twist barrels. Just note in the comments that your barrel has a 1-10 twist.

Phil, indeed the Savage is the easiest new bolt action gun to set up as a switch barrel. One just needs to be careful about switching the barrels to often. In the short action set up for a 308 based cartridge, you could use any 308 body cartridge by simply changing barrels and setting headspace. You just maintain the body taper and the cartridge will feed throught the magazine.
Ed

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions