Racoon helmet lamps - I need one.
-> Small Game Hunting

#1: Racoon helmet lamps - I need one. Author: jbird22calLocation: Baraboo, WI PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:27 am
    ----
I am slowly getting into coon hunting with dogs again and I find myself in the market for a helmet lamp. I have used nite lights and a lights by a company called Show Me Llight Iindustries.

I am not that fond of nite lites, the seem to burn out the bulbs quickly and I have been unable to find Show Me Light Industries, lights since I was at a UKC hound auction many years back.

I am not looking for a top dollar light such as a predator, but something more economical as I no longer own hounds and the fact that the local whitetail bow hunters are severely against me chasing a dog around in the woods at night within twenty miles of where their sacred big buck "might be." (no offense to bow hunters, it's just hard to teach hounds, however smart, to read no trespassing signs)

So figured I would ask any one else who loves to hear that low bawl on still and star lit night. what they would recommend.
Smile

#2: Re: Racoon helmet lamps - I need one. Author: SwampFoxLocation: Destin, Florida PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:10 am
    ----
I used a miner's helmet light for years to shoot rats at night with a 22 rifle. It was an elastic strap afair with a switch on the light and a battery pack for the belt. You just set it up to shine down the barrel / sights when the rifle was mounted. I note that there are a bunch of miner's lights out now that run from $6 to $35.
Ed

#3: Re: Racoon helmet lamps - I need one. Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:18 pm
    ----
jbird22cal wrote:
I am slowly getting into coon hunting with dogs again and I find myself in the market for a helmet lamp. I have used nite lights and a lights by a company called Show Me Llight Iindustries.

I am not looking for a top dollar light such as a predator, but something more economical as I no longer own hounds.

So figured I would ask any one else who loves to hear that low bawl on still and star lit night. what they would recommend.
Smile

Gidday jbird22cal, how are you mate?

Have a look at this thread and also I'd talk to Watchmaker as he appears to be a lights guru. He certainly has plenty of knowledge and experience in that direction.

Lights For Hunting

I have a couple of headlamps, one is a krypton globe model that uses up 2 AA batteries very quickly, and the other is a single LED model that uses 1 AA battery that has lasted for many hours so far. Both of these lamps are realistically only good for walking along a track and neither throw a massive amount of light out, well not enough to shoot by. But they are good for general lighting around the camp. A mate has a LED headlamp that has 11 LEDs in it and it is much better than mine, and much more expensive, but still not good enough to shoot by....a headlamp is not a spotlight.

Cheers, Vince

Cheers, Vince

#4: Re: Racoon helmet lamps - I need one. Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:32 pm
    ----
We used Wheat mine lights for YEARS when I was a kid. The battery slides on to your belt and the lamp comes with a hard hat.
www.banditlights.com/belt_light.htm

#5: Re: Racoon helmet lamps - I need one. Author: codybrownLocation: Michigan PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:58 pm
    ----
Try this:
www.streamlight.com/pr...ector.aspx

They have numerous headlights, depending on your preferance. I personally have the Septor model, and I'm fairly impressed with it. I don't know how long the runtime is on it since I have never let it run down all the way. I personally don't like rechargeable batteries, but that's just my preferance.

#6: Re: Racoon helmet lamps - I need one. Author: jbird22calLocation: Baraboo, WI PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:06 am
    ----
Crackshot,
I viewed the website for bandit lights before I posted my question, they look like a good light, a bit spendy, but if it lasts longer I'm all for it. Have you ever tried this company? I was concerned with the jack type connector popping out while in the brush and in a weary state, me popping it back in without turning the power down and blowing the bulb! I don't know if this happens, but just a fore thought.

I am looking for this type of light and will buy one, I'm just trying to get info from "operators" in the field.

I am trying to go to the S.H.O.T. show this year, If I make it I will try to search these folks out, I imagine that they'll be there.

#7: Re: Racoon helmet lamps - I need one. Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:36 am
    ----
Its not been an issue with mine. I have never had the light jack come out on mine.

-> Small Game Hunting