Teaching the young ones
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> General

#16: Re: Teaching the young ones Author: WeinbenderLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:57 am
    ----
Bascally that means that we hunters are a great bunch of people! Very Happy

#17: Re: Teaching the young ones Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:25 am
    ----
I believe my oldest son has done a fine job of it. This is a photo of my 15 year old grand daughter and her small (but legal) humpy.

#18: Re: Teaching the young ones Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:29 am
    ----
My grand daughter went goose hunting for the first time this year...She got one of Canada's finest...Canada goose...

I really don't think she and her dad are doing too bad...The lab is Harley. My son's general gun dog. He's been known to hunt downed ducks until he finds them. refuses to give up...

#19: Re: Teaching the young ones Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:26 am
    ----
What area is that behind your Grand Daughter?

#20: Re: Teaching the young ones Author: vint2Location: Iowa PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:30 am
    ----
Weinbender, it says we ain't all bad!!!!! Great pics Bushie!!!! Smile

#21: Re: Teaching the young ones Author: WeinbenderLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:51 am
    ----
That goose looks kinda small but i think its probably the lesser Canada Goose (lol thats what i call em) they are alot smaller and have a smaller bill and neck but who cares its still a goose!

great pics!

Weinbender

#22: Re: Teaching the young ones Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:05 am
    ----
Great pictures Bushy.
That is a lesser Daniel.

I have a new way to cook goose that even my wife likes, and she hates eating goose.

Cut the breast length ways very thin.
Marinade with Cooking Red Wine, Worcestershire Sauce, and Montreal Steak seasoning.
Marinade for 24hrs, then slow cook in a cast iron pan using the marinated mixture to cook the breast in.
Make sure that the meat is still pink when you pull it out of the pan.

Boy Methinks that I will have to cook some tomorrow for the family.

Eric

#23: Re: Teaching the young ones Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:44 am
    ----
If I'm not mistaken that is Eastern Washington, Crackshot...My son lives North of Seattle.

#24: Re: Teaching the young ones Author: WileyWapitiLocation: NW Colorado PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:43 pm
    ----
I have been taking my son with me out deer hunting for several years, even though he is not old enough to purchase a tag, he is a great assistant. I won't go into the details of why, but the fact remained, a couple days ago we were forced to track a bleeder over hill and finally dale, I had lost the track a couple times and my son was able to pick it up both times. I have always taught my children to respect the land and game - if they choose not to pursue hunting, at least they know where I stand and why I do what I do. As I have mentioned before, I love the sport and TRULY believe that our youth are the future of the sport, not limited to gender.

I was equally pleased this year when my 6 yr old daughter set her alarm and was up and dressed at 5 in the morning, scared the hell out of me as I did not know she was up, but she asked to go with me deer hunting - she was ready to go, what can you say, and why would you say anything other than "get in the truck"? I have never been a prouder father, just the fact that she wanted to hang out with Dad was pretty cool in my book! She knows track identification and has a pretty good set of eyes for the game as well.

I do test them from time to time, we will see a deer or elk on private land bordering public and I will ask them if the shot would be good or bad, they always ask first what my tag is for and then they ask if I know if the land is public or private. It isn't everything that makes up the sport, but I believe I have started them on the right track.

I will continue to ask advice from you good people, but I am glad to see this post - I think you folks are great and the hat is off to you and your youth!

#25: Re: Teaching the young ones Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:56 pm
    ----
Looks to be very pretty country.

#26: Re: Teaching the young ones Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:15 am
    ----
Crackshot...The Northwest (the Tri-states [Idaho, Washington & Oregon]) is God's Country...Everything from deserts, prairies, pine and douglas fur forests to rain forests. Not to mention the Coast line. Did you know that Oregon alone has more miles of sandy beaches then California???

#27: Re: Teaching the young ones Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:32 am
    ----
I did not know that Bushy! Pretty impressive.

#28: Re: Teaching the young ones Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:17 am
    ----
Sounds like a lovely place Bushy...just like paradise....Queensland Australia. Laughing

Cheers, Vince

#29: Re: Teaching the young ones Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:36 am
    ----
I agree with you Vince.
I sure could live there. A person can never get bored in a place like that.

Bushy, you taught your kids well. I hope that I can be as successful with my kids as you have been with yours.
Only time will tell.

Eric

#30: Re: Teaching the young ones Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:18 am
    ----
I hope mine turn out good as well. All we can do as parents are teach them right from wrong, Nock their heads together now and then to remind them, and hope for the best. Smile

-> General