Wormy Kangaroo meat and dog food.
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> General

#1: Wormy Kangaroo meat and dog food. Author: roimon13Location: Australia-Illawarra PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:40 pm
    ----
This will be more for the Aussie members but that dont matter. I was shooting recently down Jindabyne way and we knocked over about 30 roos, needless to say the freezer is full of meat for both the family and the dogs.
We love it and so do the kidz but I was talking to a mate who mentioned a worm of some description that is not normal and potentially fatal to the dogs not to mention ourselves and that is apparently impervious to the general intestinal worm tablets for dogs. Has any one any further knowledge on this?
Thanks, Roimon

#2: Re: Wormy Kangaroo meat and dog food. Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:20 pm
    ----
Sooooo what does Kangaroo taste like ............. ?????

#3: Re: Wormy Kangaroo meat and dog food. Author: roimon13Location: Australia-Illawarra PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:55 pm
    ----
Tastes great! A little like lamb but it is extremely lean. If it is over cooked it becomes boot leather.
I marinate in olive oil and herbs for about 1-2 hours and then bake in 200 c oven for 20 min per 500 g. That is for a rear thigh leg roast.
Try googling "kangaroo recipes".
Roimon13

#4: Re: Wormy Kangaroo meat and dog food. Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:10 pm
    ----
1895ss wrote:
Sooooo what does Kangaroo taste like ............. ?????

Dare I say it 1895essess
um....KANGAROO !!!!

Haha Laughing Haha Laughing

Actually I find that kangaroo has a rather unique taste, I would lean a little more towards veal than lamb, but not really lthe same as either, bit hard to describe. Its very nice if you get a nice tender piece and as roimon13 says, its nice and lean.

Cheers, Vince

#5: Re: Wormy Kangaroo meat and dog food. Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:38 pm
    ----
roimon13 wrote:
Has any one any further knowledge on this?
Thanks, Roimon

Have a look at these links mate.

1. Disease in Kangaroos

2. Endoparasites of an insular subspecies of the western grey kangaroo, Macropus fuliginosus

In fact, even our mates in the US should look at these links because some of the information, although specific to kangaroos, is also applicable to any game meats.

Cheers, Vince

#6: Re: Wormy Kangaroo meat and dog food. Author: MoraxLocation: Pittsburgh Pa PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:39 am
    ----
i never knew you could eat roo's.. yet another reason to visit aussies.... do they have a particular season or how does that work??

#7: Re: Wormy Kangaroo meat and dog food. Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:24 pm
    ----
Morax wrote:
i never knew you could eat roo's..

Very Happy I think a lot of our fast food places are using it Very Happy At least you guys didn't say it tastes like chicken Very Happy
Joe

#8: Re: Wormy Kangaroo meat and dog food. Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:37 pm
    ----
Taste?? How about "can you say Giant Rodent"??

#9: Re: Wormy Kangaroo meat and dog food. Author: roimon13Location: Australia-Illawarra PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:24 pm
    ----
Yes they do have a season - open season. In NSW there is restrictions on shooting and you are suppose to have tags which I beleive are regulated by the National Parks And Wildlife Service - another government beauracracy who think they are a law unto themselves.

#10: Re: Wormy Kangaroo meat and dog food. Author: MoraxLocation: Pittsburgh Pa PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:57 pm
    ----
oh really so it is just see em shoot em huh??

#11: Re: Wormy Kangaroo meat and dog food. Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:13 pm
    ----
Morax wrote:
oh really so it is just see em shoot em huh??

Well, not really....unless you are a professional roo shooter, and then you must have a tag for each animal shot/harvested, although a pro roo shooter can purchase an endless number of tags at about .50c each. The tags aren't like you guys use....go in a draw, season named, names selected, tags for this or that issued......the tags are more for control/accounting purposes.

Primary producers (farmers and property owners) can get a Mitigation Permit to cull if the roos are over running their property, but I'm not exactly sure what the procedures and limitations are for one.

A lot of people just don't realise, or understand, that the kangaroo population out here outnumber the people by probably 2 to 1 or more....there ain't no shortage of them. However, the greenies with their warm and fuzzy, touchy feely, koombiah, tree hugging outlook on life have managed to throw a spanner into the works.

Cheers, Vince

As for anybody having a shot, well I'm not going to say it happens, however....... Wink Very Happy Razz

Cheers, Vince

#12: Re: Wormy Kangaroo meat and dog food. Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:45 pm
    ----
I just didn't know that they where eaten by humans ......... hhhhhmmmmmm .......... Ya learn somethin' every day ........ ! Very Happy

#13: Re: Wormy Kangaroo meat and dog food. Author: tikkat3 PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:49 am
    ----
Yeh, you can buy it in most supermarkets, steaks or sausages.
Under the name of Macropod Meats.

#14: Re: Wormy Kangaroo meat and dog food. Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:15 am
    ----
I'm actually serious on this request.
Is it possible to make jerky out of Kangaroo, and send us guys some for tasting?????

Eric

#15: Re: Wormy Kangaroo meat and dog food. Author: powergelLocation: Australia PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:05 pm
    ----
Elyboy yep, started making roo jerky about 25yrs odd ago, it's just a natural meat to use as it is very lean, don't make it much these days due to restrictions on shooting them, but when I do it's the traditional way, dry spices and cured by hanging in a tree, sorry can't help with your second request out customs may have something to say about it if you know what I mean. but I'll check that out...

-> General