savage 99. 250 3000 accuracy?
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: savage 99. 250 3000 accuracy? Author: speed swede PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:14 am
    ----
hi there. what kind of accuracy can i expect in a savage 99 cal 250-3000 in mint condition and handloaded ammo?...johan

#2: Re: savage 99. 250 3000 accuracy? Author: freedyfLocation: Idaho Falls, Idaho PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:57 pm
    ----
Hi Speed: I've got an older M 99, mfg in about 1914, about the best and probably most accurate grouping I've been able to achieve is about 1 1/2"
with my own handloads, using a 3x9 scope, from a wobblie bench. Nice rifle tho, anxious to use it for deer. Good luck. Freedyf

#3: Re: savage 99. 250 3000 accuracy? Author: ArronLocation: Cen.Iowa, by way of SWIowa PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:02 pm
    ----
If this rifle is in mint condition then you might want to consider giving it a special place in the collection as this is one of the rearest chamberings for this rifle. The one that I /dad has is worth something like $600 and it is VERY well used so no harm in us sending bullets down the bore.

However as to the accuracy there really is not a good way to tell, other than putting bullets into paper. Should you decide to use this then I would hazzard to say that hunting accuracy should be well within it's capabilities, so long as you are able to bring out that level. And handloads are usually for the purpose of finding the "perfect" load. Contrary to what alot of people seem to think it is not REALLY about saving money. As there is always another new tool you need to make your loading faster, easier, or better. If do decide to use this rifle you fall in love with it and wonder why they are not making making it today. Probably because this w2as so good when it was made they do want to sell them anymore, they last too long, and are too expensive to make.

#4: Re: savage 99. 250 3000 accuracy? Author: speed swede PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:40 am
    ----
thanks guys Very Happy im going to buy it for sure. its only has 40 round trough the barrel Shocked and i like to own a levergun for once. the reason i wonder about the accuracy is that i going to hunt black grouse and capercaillie in the vintertime here in sweden and then i often shoot at 200.m a little time at the loading bench will do the trick Very Happy

#5: Re: savage 99. 250 3000 accuracy? Author: ArronLocation: Cen.Iowa, by way of SWIowa PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:22 pm
    ----
OH MY!!! HOLY CRIMINNY BATMAN!!! Only 40 rounds through this little rifle? That did it for me, it would go in the vault. You just do not find this kind of rifle like that. I would say you will probably never see another one. I am not sure just what a capercaillie is other than the band, ha ha.
But the .25 might be a bit heavy for any grouse, and at 200m or 220yards there may not be enough left of the bird to find. I once saw what was left of a rooster pheasant after someone I know shot it at about 250 yards with a .243Win and there was nothing but a 48 inch diameter red patch on the snow. Again if you do get this, and I really hope you do; get a current value guide. And after looking at that you may decide to let it "gain" some value. As I said the one we have is beat to snot and worth around $600 in it's condition. It also looks like Savage discontinued them in about 1980. That would make sense because that is when Savage Quality was going down the tubes and NO ONE wanted a Savage, and the M99 was just too well built for them to keep making it while trying to save the company.

#6: Re: savage 99. 250 3000 accuracy? Author: speed swede PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:48 pm
    ----
black grouse are a large bird 3-5 kilograms and we need at least 222 rem power when we are hunting them. 250 yards are a regular distans at this kind of hunting and when the winds blowing strong cal 25 does the trick. i have used 22-250 and 243win fmj whit good results and no meat damage so i belive 250 savage will do fine if i kepp the velocity down a little Very Happy ....johan

#7: Re: savage 99. 250 3000 accuracy? Author: speed swede PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:43 pm
    ----
oh yes this rifle shoots like a dream Very Happy i loaded some sierra 100gr mk last winter and i am suprised by the accuracy of this lever rifle Shocked i have taken out 15 birds whit it. one at 260yards i newer ever tought a lever rifle can shoot so good. now im loading some 85gr cast bullets whit some sweet red dot powder for the rabbits Very Happy

#8: Re: savage 99. 250 3000 accuracy? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:15 pm
    ----
Hot damn...Welcome back...Ya need to communicate more often then once a year. Glad that rifle worked out for you. I've heard good reports on the Savage 99 in all calibres...

#9: Re: savage 99. 250 3000 accuracy? Author: speed swede PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:30 pm
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
Hot damn...Welcome back...Ya need to communicate more often then once a year. Glad that rifle worked out for you. I've heard good reports on the Savage 99 in all calibres...
thanks bushmaster! yupp im going to be here more often than once a year Embarassed but im so bad at english and my spelling sucks so im having some trouble expressing myself but i will try to write so that its legible for you guys Very Happy ...johan

#10: Re: savage 99. 250 3000 accuracy? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:48 pm
    ----
Looks to me like you are doing a fine job of spellin'...Absolutely...Join right in...

#11: Re: savage 99. 250 3000 accuracy? Author: speed swede PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:55 pm
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
Looks to me like you are doing a fine job of spellin'...Absolutely...Join right in...
thanks bushmaster Very Happy

#12: Re: savage 99. 250 3000 accuracy? Author: phill21Location: Western Australia PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:11 pm
    ----
speed swede,

Don't worry about the spelling mate Smile 1/2 of us caint spell proper no how.
chers
phil

#13: Re: savage 99. 250 3000 accuracy? Author: speed swede PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:25 pm
    ----
phill21 wrote:
speed swede,

Don't worry about the spelling mate Smile 1/2 of us caint spell proper no how.
chers
phil
Very Happy Very Happy no thats the way it should be

#14: Re: savage 99. 250 3000 accuracy? Author: 280shooter PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:35 pm
    ----
I want it I want it,,LOL
I always wanted one of them 99s,
I was looking at the used gun at Cableas last year and they had one in 308..I almost bought that one,But I want the 300,but i take the 250-300,,you bet ya,They made differnt grades in the wood,I like to have just a plain Jane one. that would make me happy,
have fun shooting your new to you rifle.
One of the mian reasons they dont make them,,is they cost to much,all the gun makers went cheaper is more money in there pockets.and stock holders,IMHO.

#15: Re: savage 99. 250 3000 accuracy? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:07 am
    ----
O K...Let's see here...Vince will you show Phill21 how to spell cheers. And 280shooter has so many misspelled words it almost isn't funny... Shocked

speed swede...And you're worried about spelling??? Smile

Now everyone will be checking MY spelling lookin' for a mistake... Very Happy (Won't have long to wait. I'm sure)

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions