noob question
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Small Game Hunting

#1: noob question Author: aznmochamike PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:45 pm
    ----
hi... sorry for this really noob question and i know that these 2 are totally different things but then i wanted to know every1's opinion on what these 2 are, what they are used for and pros and cons on them... one is the airsoft TM vsr-10 g-spec... and the other is a pellet gun... crosman phantom 1000x... what i wanted was something where i could shoot in my backyard... like cans... or even small game because i got an empty field behind me where animals could come though... is the TM vsr-10's range of accuracy greater than the crosman?... thanks

#2: Re: noob question Author: Arizona Hunter PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:00 am
    ----
I have no experience with pellet guns, but from what I read in a magazine called Predator Xtreme (see their web site), they have a monthly article on using air guns, I would imagine you could take out a squirrel or rabbit at 20-30 yards without to much trouble, with the right combination of pellet and valocity.

Go to www.predatorxtreme.com, there you can read on-line articles about air rifles plus lots of other info. You might even decide to subscribe to the monthly magazine later on.

As for specifics on the guns you mention, the most reliable info is likely found on the company web sites or by phoning those manufacturers.

Let us know how things work out.

#3: Re: noob question Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:27 pm
    ----
Air guns can be great fun. As a young fella (not that long ago I think) I used to sit in my bedroom and "blase" away at a target on a tree in the backyard. I have also used one on feral cats, but the realistic lethal range for a really good .177, on small, game is about 30 yards. Still a lot of fun though, and very cheap to shoot.

I agree with Arizona Hunter, check out the manufacturer's website for info. Another resource you could try is shooting magazines in the UK. They are bound to have something on the web. Air guns get a lot of use ovcer there cause thats pretty much what most are allowed to have.

Cheers, Vince

#4: Re: noob question Author: MoraxLocation: Pittsburgh Pa PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:55 am
    ----
Vince wrote:
Air guns can be great fun. As a young fella (not that long ago I think) I used to sit in my bedroom and "blase" away at a target on a tree in the backyard. I have also used one on feral cats, but the realistic lethal range for a really good .177, on small, game is about 30 yards. Still a lot of fun though, and very cheap to shoot.

I agree with Arizona Hunter, check out the manufacturer's website for info. Another resource you could try is shooting magazines in the UK. They are bound to have something on the web. Air guns get a lot of use ovcer there cause thats pretty much what most are allowed to have.

Cheers, Vince

my cousin took a jackrabbit at 60 yards with one of those crossman pump pistols.. and todays technology the airguns are just as good as .22s, pricey but still

#5: Re: noob question Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:09 am
    ----
Vince wrote:
As a young fella (not that long ago I think) Cheers, Vince

Haha Haha Haha ROFL ROFL ROFL

#6: Re: noob question Author: Arizona Hunter PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:42 am
    ----
Now Tracker, don't you think you are a little hard on Vince. Heck, I bet if you shave off the chin hairs and put a basball cap on him, he would look 16 again. Very Happy

#7: Re: noob question Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:09 am
    ----
Yeah, me too...made for a pretty pathetic 16 year old Very Happy Very Happy

#8: Re: noob question Author: d_hoffmanLocation: Chillicothe, Ohio PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:48 am
    ----
Arizona Hunter wrote:
Now Tracker, don't you think you are a little hard on Vince. Heck, I bet if you shave off the chin hairs and put a basball cap on him, he would look 16 again. Very Happy

Well..................maybe at a distance!!! Poke ROFL Cheers

#9: Re: noob question Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:11 am
    ----
I still shoot my daughters crossman pump, shoots bb's or 177 cal pellets, it doesn't do to bad with the pellets Very Happy and I believe ya vince ol buddy Very Happy
Joe

#10: Re: noob question Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:15 pm
    ----
Air guns are Soooooooo much fun its crazy! Very Happy My son and I both have Gamo pellet rifles with scopes, they are one hole accurate to 40 yards and death on squirrels and rabits with the right pellet inside the 40 yard range. Dillon and I will set in the back yard and use up 100 pellets at Starlings a day in the summer. Very Happy

#11: Re: noob question Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:57 pm
    ----
Thanks Joe, you are a good man. As for the rest of you buggers who are intimating that I'm getting old........ppppphhhhhhtttttttt. Laughing Laughing

Well, there ya go. When I first saw this thread I thought...."okay, don't think this one will get much input"......but it seems that I am wrong. I suppose that most of us started shooting with an airgun, and the way the lawmakers are fighting to control (read remove) firearms, we may well finish our shooting with airguns.

Was looking at an advert in a shooting mag the other day and there are some airguns coming out of Europe now that cost as much as a VERY good quality rimfire or an average centrefire.....and thats just for the "hunting" quality...not the target version. The accuracy of some of these guns has to be seen to be believed. I think its time I looked at getting another one.

Cheers, Vince

#12: Re: noob question Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:16 pm
    ----
Well myself I wouldn't use the Airsoft gun myself. Sure its a cool Remington M700 clone I believe but from stock its only 275 feet per second using a light weight 6mm plastic BB, any .177 pellet gun shooting at about 500fps would give quite abit more energy on your small game target using heavier pellets at faster speeds. Smile

Even at 500fps a 6mm Airsoft BB is no comparison to a .177 pellet gun. Smile

Airsoft is for playing games like paintball guns are not for hunting even small game.

Edit: By the way the reason I didnt mention accuracy is because I feel its not something really to talk about the Tokyo Marui is not a hunting rifle so its accuracy is of no value compared to the pellet gun. Remember a gun is only as accurate as the guy (or girl) shooting it. Smile

Dimitri

#13: Re: noob question Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:04 am
    ----
Vince wrote:
Thanks Joe, you are a good man. As for the rest of you buggers who are intimating that I'm getting old........ppppphhhhhhtttttttt. Laughing Laughing
Cheers, Vince

Any Time Buddy Very Happy I got your back Hiding
Joe

#14: Re: noob question Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:29 am
    ----
Vince, Joe, and every one else. We are not OLD, we are Classics! Very Happy

#15: Re: noob question Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:08 pm
    ----
"Classics"?? And here I thought it was just my second childhood...You mean like a '57 Belaire hard top...??

-> Small Game Hunting