.22 LR Ruger 10-22 or T/C or Rem 597?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: .22 LR Ruger 10-22 or T/C or Rem 597? Author: Arizona Hunter PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:54 am
    ----
I'm looking to get a semi-auto .22 for my wife (really). She does not like bolts or single shots or levers. She wants to pull the trigger until the magazine is empty. Very Happy

While I have used and have friends with Ruger 10-22's and they seem well made and reliable, still I was wondering about the Thompson Center R-55 and the Rem 597. What are your thoughts folks?

Not interested in the Marlin 60. I've had those before, and the 3" long "pin" in the action gets bent to easily Mad and turns it into a single shot.

#2: Re: .22 LR Ruger 10-22 or T/C or Rem 597? Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:16 pm
    ----
Arizona Hunter wrote:
She wants to pull the trigger until the magazine is empty. Very Happy .

Rather than recommend a rifle, I'm just going to recommend that you always be nice to your wife Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

#3: Re: .22 LR Ruger 10-22 or T/C or Rem 597? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:01 pm
    ----
Don't about the others you mentioned, but my daughters 10/22 has never failed to send them down range...

#4: Re: .22 LR Ruger 10-22 or T/C or Rem 597? Author: SwampFoxLocation: Destin, Florida PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:40 pm
    ----
On the off chance that your wife may let you use her gun and you might be allowed to "fix it up" I would say the 10/22. It can be anything you want, from a can buster to a semiauto target rifle of real good quality. You can swap barrels with the removal of a screw. Pieces and parts for the 10/22 are everywhere. They are famous for reliability. If you get a stainless with a plastic stock it should be almost indestructable. put a little scope and a carbon fiber barrel on it and you might not get to ever use it.

I have a 22 LR carbon fiber .900 diameter barrel, new in the package, if you want one, at a good price. One of those projects I never got around to.
Ed

#5: Re: .22 LR Ruger 10-22 or T/C or Rem 597? Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:40 pm
    ----
Yes, the 10/22 is a great gun. I used to own one before John H(itler)oward became prime mongrel in Oz.
Get a few 50 rnds mags to go with it and let her pull trigger to her heart content....then get her to reload them so you could share the fun Very Happy :-D
You got a gem there, many of my friend's wives don't even like to hold a gun, let alone pull triggers.
And I agree with tracker, be nice to her Very Happy

#6: Re: .22 LR Ruger 10-22 or T/C or Rem 597? Author: Joe BoleoLocation: Pennsylvania PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:47 pm
    ----
Another vote for the Ruger 10/22. My significant other loves to go to the local gun club with me. She has a Remington 581 for accurate work and likes the Ruger 10/22 for burning ammo. Take care...
Joe

#7: Re: .22 LR Ruger 10-22 or T/C or Rem 597? Author: d_hoffmanLocation: Chillicothe, Ohio PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:13 pm
    ----
Hey Arizona Hunter, what usually causes that pin to bend? I've never had a single problem with my mod. 60.

The 10/22's are a good gun, really versitile. My brother-in law bought one at the gunshow with a custom stock, bull barrel and scope, it shoots pretty good too.

The 597 is a good gun for the money too. Not as versitile as a 10/22 but not as expensive either.

Hey Gelandangan, as far as I know they don't make anything for loading 22 rimfires but for 8 bucks for a 550 rnd bulk pack...who cares. You can shoot until you get tired of it (if that's posible) and not go broke doing it.

#8: Re: .22 LR Ruger 10-22 or T/C or Rem 597? Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:41 pm
    ----
gelandangan wrote:

Get a few 50 rnds mags to go with it and let her pull trigger to her heart content....then get her to reload them so you could share the fun

d-hoffman quote...Hey Gelandangan, as far as I know they don't make anything for loading 22 rimfires but for 8 bucks for a 550 rnd bulk pack...who cares. You can shoot until you get tired of it (if that's posible) and not go broke doing it.

I think he meant she could be reloding the mags while he's shooting...

Ruger has always been my favorite, I used a 10/22 while growing up. I'm not sure you can make one misfire if you tried. Last I checked here, retail price was $189.00, used price @ the local gun/pawn shop was $199.00.

#9: Re: .22 LR Ruger 10-22 or T/C or Rem 597? Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:44 pm
    ----
gelandangan wrote:

Get a few 50 rnds mags to go with it and let her pull trigger to her heart content....then get her to reload them so you could share the fun

d-hoffman quote...Hey Gelandangan, as far as I know they don't make anything for loading 22 rimfires but for 8 bucks for a 550 rnd bulk pack...who cares. You can shoot until you get tired of it (if that's posible) and not go broke doing it.

I think he meant she could be reloding the mags while he's shooting...

Ruger has always been my favorite, I used a 10/22 while growing up. I'm not sure you can make one misfire if you tried. Last I checked here, retail price was $189.00, used price @ the local gun/pawn shop was $199.00.

#10: Re: .22 LR Ruger 10-22 or T/C or Rem 597? Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:48 pm
    ----
WTF???

Either I've started stuttering or something is wrong with the way resposes are posted.

"Calling Dr DallanC...Calling Dr. DallanC......."

#11: Re: .22 LR Ruger 10-22 or T/C or Rem 597? Author: d_hoffmanLocation: Chillicothe, Ohio PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:59 am
    ----
Like, duh Nuts (to myself) of course that's what he meant. (must get more sleep) Sleep Might also help to read the whole thing.

Just was looking at walmart.com and they've got a camo 10/22 for $216. The store by me has several .22 auto's for around $100.

#12: Re: .22 LR Ruger 10-22 or T/C or Rem 597? Author: Arizona Hunter PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:10 pm
    ----
Hi Hoffman,
That pin gets bent accidentaly when a person (like me) is not careful enough removing the bolt assy and putting it back together after cleaning. Just seems like they could have made it stronger.

Sounds like the 10-22 is going to be the one to buy judging from all the posetive comments. Not sure of the timetable yet, but most likley in 2-3 months.

#13: Re: .22 LR Ruger 10-22 or T/C or Rem 597? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:42 pm
    ----
I'd go with the 10/22 if I was going to get a 22LR, I recently got my 2nd firearm which is a Sears 22LR made in Canada by the Cooey Firearms Company, Cooey Model 64, its a nice 22LR, need to go out and shoot it, haven't done that yet. Only thing I don't like its the safety, its not a real safety its like keeping a Lever action at Half cock, except instead of the hammer being at half cock the bolt is. I don't much like this set up myself. Confused

Still its a nice rifle, might be a while before I buy another 22LR though, maybe once I get a "keeper" girlfriend to teach her how to shoot with her "own" 22LR.

Best part about 22LR's is that if they are semi-automatic or not they don't have magazine restrictions here in Canada and you can get 50 round 10/22 magazines here. Laughing

Dimitri

#14: Re: .22 LR Ruger 10-22 or T/C or Rem 597? Author: kbisLocation: East, Texas PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:37 pm
    ----
Go for the 10/22. I have beat the crap out of mine and it still works great. Every time I go out on the property, it goes in the back of the Gator. Great for snakes and trutles.

#15: Re: .22 LR Ruger 10-22 or T/C or Rem 597? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:07 pm
    ----
gelandangan wrote:
You got a gem there, many of my friend's wives don't even like to hold a gun, let alone pull triggers.
And I agree with tracker, be nice to her Very Happy

I'm one of those guys Gelan....would love my wife to come out and have a shot with me.

hunterjoe21 wrote:
Either I've started stuttering or something is wrong with the way resposes are posted.

At last....someone has taken the "stutter" away from me. WOO HOO.

Arizona Hunter, I've never owned a semi auto, and I can't now because of the laws here, but why not take "She Who Must Be Obeyed" to the gunshop and let here pick the gun. Another consideration could be a .22 pistol....something like a Ruger MkII...a great little pistol...and it can also be used for self protection at a pinch.

I also agree with Gelan...be nice to her. Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers, Vince

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions