Feral Cats...and I thought I had heard everything!
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> Varmint Hunting

#31: Re: Feral Cats...and I thought I had heard everything! Author: keetoowahLocation: Deep in the mountains of Montana PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:37 am
    ----
cane toads need to be eradicated. even I agree with that one.
they make funny statues after they are stuffed. sell to all the tourists that come over.
you forgot wombats, wallabies.
good for stews over a fire with a full billy close

I miss camping over there.

#32: Re: Feral Cats...and I thought I had heard everything! Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:46 pm
    ----
keetoowah wrote:
cane toads need to be eradicated. even I agree with that one.
they make funny statues after they are stuffed. sell to all the tourists that come over.
you forgot wombats, wallabies.
good for stews over a fire with a full billy close

I miss camping over there.

Bloody cane toads....they are the biggest and worst eco disaster in Australia. They were introduced in the 1920's/30's to control another pest that found its way here, the cane beetle, and now the toads are here to stay. Some native birds are learning to deal with them...they flick them onto their backs and go in through the belly, avoiding the poison glands on the shoulders. They say the most humane way to kill them is in a plastic bag and into the freezer.....personally I use a metal spike about 36"x1/4". Some say that a 6 Iron golf club is good too, but my preference is a 3 Iron cause the toad will clear your neighbours place and land in the next yard Laughing Laughing Laughing Razz Saves you getting yelled at by your neighbour. Very Happy Very Happy When it rains they come out onto the roads......they POP nicely. Laughing Laughing

Keetoowah.....wombat stew? wtf Shocked They are pretty much protected over here. Now a nice wallaby steak is good, or as you say, a stew/casserole. Ah, billy tea, black with lots of sugar, now there's a good brew...and the making of it is almost a dying art. Sad

Cheers, Vince

#33: Re: Feral Cats...and I thought I had heard everything! Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:33 am
    ----
If keetowah says something needs to be eradicated, I'm convinced Very Happy , (read some of her earlier postings Very Happy ) I never knew about the cane toads. Sure is lots for me to learn about Oz, but if you ever make it this way Vince, I think I can promise you'll like the tea I'd brew for you. Make it the same way I make campfire coffee and pretty much as strong and yep yep...black with plenty of sugar.

#34: Re: Feral Cats...and I thought I had heard everything! Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:49 pm
    ----
Well Tracker.....the cane toad is about the ugliest critter you ever laid eyes on (apart from me), and its also poisionous. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Feral Cane Toad

Mate, you got a deal. Very Happy Very Happy I would love to visit Canada (my daughter is talking about going in October this year).

Billy Tea

Cheers, Vince

#35: Re: Feral Cats...and I thought I had heard everything! Author: WrzWaldo PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:28 pm
    ----
rdncktink wrote:
Most people around here keep their cats inside because of the cars and the drivers that don't care. My friend lost 2 cats to stupid drivers. Ast for the "scroungy-ass, missin-half-yer-fur, rip-off-a-rabbits-head-for-no-reason cat" its better for all cats if they are "taken care of" just do it clean so it won't suffer any more.

Stupid drivers or stupid/lazy pet owners? I'm sure if the animal had proper supervision it would not have been an issue. Were these "stupid drivers" trying to hit the cats? Did the drivers get reported? I imagine they were accidental kills... And again, had the cats been under the owners control it would not have been an issue. Any pet that is allowed to free range is a hazard to the community and itself! What if a driver was trying to avoid a free ranging pet only to swerve into a pedestrian? Another vehicle? ??? If I was involved in an accident because of a lame pet owner you could bet I'd find out who the owner was and kindly allow them the privilege of covering any costs associated with their free ranging critter! I don't play/crap in your yard, my kids don't either, keep your pets out of mine! If you are not responsible enough to do that then you have no business owning them.

Shame on any pet owner that complains about their pet getting killed because they were to lazy to take care of it!

#36: Re: Feral Cats...and I thought I had heard everything! Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:52 pm
    ----
Vince wrote:
Mate, you got a deal. Very Happy Very Happy I would love to visit Canada (my daughter is talking about going in October this year).

Although I'm a ways away from where Tracker is if you come to Canada, stop on by and I'll have a selection of Canadian beers and Canadian Whiskey for you to try Wink

Dimitri

#37: Re: Feral Cats...and I thought I had heard everything! Author: rdncktinkLocation: Hwaseong, South Korea PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:57 pm
    ----
First cats get out no matter how hard you try to keep them inside. Mine got out once and mad it to the bottom of the walk before I got to her. Second yes it was a stupid driver aiming for cats because there was 5 found down that road that day, and they admitted to doing it. And yes I yelled at her for letting the cats run lose still doesn't mean that it hurt any less losing a pet that's is treated as part of the family. And I DON'T need to hear that it's a pet/animal and not a human, for some it's the only stable thing they have. So lets leave this soap box that has started and look at the original post. The cats getting hit was just a side line to that.

#38: Re: Feral Cats...and I thought I had heard everything! Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:37 am
    ----
Dimitri wrote:
Vince wrote:

Although I'm a ways away from where Tracker is if you come to Canada, stop on by and I'll have a selection of Canadian beers and Canadian Whiskey for you to try Wink

Dimitri
Off Topic nevertheless, God did give Canadians whiskey to stop us from taking over the world... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

#39: Re: Feral Cats...and I thought I had heard everything! Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:50 am
    ----
If, for what ever reason, a cat, dog or horse (my dogs are bigger then yours) gets out of the owners control we can't blame the driver if the cat, dog or horse runs out in front of a car or truck. Infact if that cat, dog or horse causes an accident or damages the car or truck the pet owner is held liable for damages...WrzWaldo...I side with you.

Now if the driver runs up into your yard to run over that cat it is a different story...

Dimitri...I heard that said of the Irish...The whiskey thing...

#40: Re: Feral Cats...and I thought I had heard everything! Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:07 am
    ----
That was me, not Dimitri, yeah I stole it from the Irish cuz I figured I got enough Irish in me to count Very Happy I agree with you on the automobile/pet discussion as well. There was an incident a couple hours north of here about 5 years ago where a horse wasn't being properly cared for, ran up on the highway, was hit by a car and killed, but two of the passengers in the car were killed as well....says it all to me.

#41: Re: Feral Cats...and I thought I had heard everything! Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:12 am
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
Dimitri...I heard that said of the Irish...The whiskey thing...

Yes the saying Tracker said is the Irish one, For us Canucks it's actually God's gifts of good beer, great hockey, and fine women which stops us Canadians from taking over the world. Very Happy

Dimitri

#42: Re: Feral Cats...and I thought I had heard everything! Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:38 am
    ----
Seems to me Dimitri, that with all that going for you Canucks you have already taken over the world...

#43: Re: Feral Cats...and I thought I had heard everything! Author: keetoowahLocation: Deep in the mountains of Montana PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:20 pm
    ----
Well not of the world Bushmaster. I standfast on my part, yet to be conquered by the Canuckistanians.. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

#44: Re: Feral Cats...and I thought I had heard everything! Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:10 pm
    ----
Dimitri wrote:

For us Canucks it's actually God's gifts of good beer, great hockey, and fine women which stops us Canadians from taking over the world. Very Happy

Dimitri

I know 1972 was a long time ago for most folks, and before some here were born, but I'd like to point out that Canadians stood down Russian police armed with automatic weapons. The Canadians were armed with hockey sticks. It was called the summit series for a reason Party Party The Wave

#45: Re: Feral Cats...and I thought I had heard everything! Author: keetoowahLocation: Deep in the mountains of Montana PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:19 pm
    ----
I really need to stop speed typing.
Bushmaster I meant "not in MY world." sorry about that.
if my fingers could only type as fast as I think.

Oh Mr Gates.......... we need a new machine.

-> Varmint Hunting