Japanese Type I rifle
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Japanese Type I rifle Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:23 pm
    ----
Have any of you good folks encountered this rifle?

The Japanese Type I rifles was made in Italy by Carcano in 6.5 Jap caliber. The rifle has a Mauser type magazine and a Mannlicher Carcano action. One undocumented report claims about 50,000 were made before WWII and issued to the Japanese Navy.

I have only seen two of these rifles in my life and bought both of them. The first was a Type I barreled action that I bought for $1 at a rural feed mill that also sold guns. I gave that rifle to a WWII U.S. veteran who landed in Japan at the end of WWII and wanted a souvenir.

The second rifle came from a local gun shop where it was sitting on a used gun rack. I acquired the mint rifle, with bayonet and sling for $85. The shop has just bought it from a widow whose husband brought it home from the South Pacific.

Smith and Smith in "The Book of Rifles" and W.H.B. Smith in "Small Arms of the World" have pictures of this rifle, but little information. Hope this helps. All the best...
Gil

#2: Re: Japanese Type I rifle Author: K.W.Location: Finland PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:30 pm
    ----
Hello Gil. For You, please. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arisaka I have two Arisaka38 modell rebarreled 9,3x57 Mauser and .308 Winc. I think, they are very god for gun smith making to custom rifles. The bolt mechanism is "the strongest".

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions