reloading 223 ammo
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#16: Re: reloading 223 ammo Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:36 pm
    ----
gunman570 wrote:
Hey Vince (and others),

We must have been on the same thought process so here's what I just finished doing. I dropped my sizing die (RCBS small base FL die) as far as it could possible go and then sized 4 cases (no primers..no bullet..just the case) and then singlely loaded then into my gun. 1 case ejected with a little effort, 2 took 2 hands and a lot of effort, and 1 required the old rubber mallet on the charging handle.~~~~ When I was messing with my seated die, I did see what you were talking about...just a slight buldge...so I back the seating die back and just have a slight crimp (roll).~~~ Is it really 0400 where you are Vince (the land-down -under)...man you're up early mate....later

Bob

Bob

Okay Bob, looks like we might bre getting somewhere. See my PM for more info. Keep working on it mate....we'll sort it out for you. Once we have your rounds chambering mate we will then work on accuracy if needed.

Not up at 0400 mate....its still yesterday at that hour of the night. Laughing I think that the Forum software shows local time for each and every member online. Not sure what time zone you are in over there so I can't work out times etc.

Cheers, Vince

#17: Re: reloading 223 ammo Author: d_hoffmanLocation: Chillicothe, Ohio PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:07 pm
    ----
Sorry but I don't see where he says the brass is all his or where they're just picking it up and divying it up between them.

I do see where He's still having problems and until he gets it straight any suggestion might help.

Good luck finding the problem Bob.

#18: Re: reloading 223 ammo Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:36 am
    ----
How are things going Bob? Have you had a chance to do a little reloading to confirm what we have found?

I would also revisit the adjustment of your sizing die. I have always set mine so that they just touch the ram, with a case holder fitted, then back them off about 1/4 of a turn. This is just the start point.....I then "smoke" a case and run it through the die and have a look at just how far the die is actually sizing. I then adjust the die so that it only sizes down approx 3/4 of the length of the neck.

With your seating/crimping die I set it in the same manner, then using an old case that is trimmed to the correct length (I trim to the factory length) I seat and crimp a cast bullet. I then inspect the case for problems and adjust the die as necessary. You need to keep your cases trimmed to the same length if you are going to use the roll crimp otherwise you will end up with problems and inconsistent crimps. The best way to overcome this is by using a Lee Factory Crimp die. Best thing I ever did was buy one for my .243 WIN.

Let us know how things are progressing mate.

Cheers, Vince

#19: Re: reloading 223 ammo Author: d_hoffmanLocation: Chillicothe, Ohio PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:55 pm
    ----
Hey Gunman570, did you ever get that problem fixed with your .223 loads? Let us know what you've found out.

#20: Re: reloading 223 ammo Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:05 am
    ----
I recently had the same problem loading .223 for an AR. Rounds feeding from the magazine wouldn't quite chamber and were VERY hard to extract manually. If I put a round in the chamber and let the bolt drop they would chamber and fire. My AR doesn't have a forward assist.

I also measured length, etc and it was all good. Then I noticed a slightly bulged shoulder on one of the rounds that wouldn't chamber when fed from the magazine. I figure my seating die was set up wrong, causing the bulge, and that, combined with the drag of feeding from the magazine, was enough to keep it from chambering. I haven't had time to load any more yet so I'll let you know later if that was the real problem.

-> Reloading Ammunition