mauser/kimber
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: mauser/kimber Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:17 pm
    ----
howdy! . I have a mauser action in 7/08 the barrel is stamped sporterized by kimber. I didnt know kimber did anything not on there actions. The gun is pretty accurate i put a timney trigger in it and bedded it it does just under 3/4 inch groups with 42 grains of varget and 140 gr c/t bt. I was wondering if any one new anything about these guns thanks for the help.

shrpshtrjoe

#2: Mauser/Kimber Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:44 pm
    ----
Not sure, but I recall reading abut these rifles. I suspect they used some commercial Mauser actions from Yugoslavia. If there is a thumb cutout in the left side of the receiver wall, then it is a military action. All the best...
Gil

#3: Re: mauser/kimber Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:57 pm
    ----
Howdy. thanks for the imput. There is a thumb cut out on the left side. I bought this rifle and a shotgun both for $165.00. I didnt think i could go wrong. Im pretty happy with it so far i didnt like the trigger so had a timney put in, it is in a sny stock i also had it bedded it has a stainles bolt. It does pretty good with 42 grains of varget and 140 gr c/t sbt (under 3/4") with the bullet seated 12 thousanths off. I dont know much about these guns first time i have come across one thanx again

shrpshtrjoe

#4: Re: mauser/kimber Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:15 am
    ----
It appears that you have a Mauser military receiver that has been sporterized. Are there any markings on the left receiver wall such as "Mod 98" or "VZ-24"? The markings may have been polished off during the conversion process. Looks like you did very well. All the best...
Gil

#5: Re: mauser/kimber Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:44 am
    ----
Howdy. no markings on left side of receiver but does on top of receiver. The scope base covers most of it up but this is what i can read.
CARL(base)STADS
GEVA(base)TORI
Maybe this will help. Thanx for your help

#6: Re: mauser/kimber Author: BIGBOB PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:16 am
    ----
It is most likely a small ring swedish mauser. Kimber sporterized carloads of these in the late 80's or early 90's. The giveaway is the Carl Gustav imprint. All the swede's I've seen were liberaly stamped with a crown on each piece of the gun, cocking piece, safety, bolt, etc. This was the acceptance stamp for the Swedish govt. Nice actions. All the conversions I was aware of were in 6.5x55 swedish mauser, the standard military chambering. But who's to say someone didn't rebarrel one? If the cocking piece has an upwards piece that sticks up behind the bolt shroud and the top surface is checkered, thats another giveaway. Only the swedes were checkered on the top AFAIK.

#7: Hey Joe... Author: BIGBOB PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:19 am
    ----
Just noticed you are from MD. ME too, Eastern shore.

#8: Re: mauser/kimber Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:37 am
    ----
Howdy. Thanx big bob i think we have a winner. It has crowns stamped on all the parts. The gun shoots very well im very happy with it i just didn't know much about mauser actions the only thing i don't like is the saftey is hard to disingauge ( to close to the scope) thanx for the help

#9: Mauser/Kimber Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:27 am
    ----
Swedish Mausers are classic guns, smooth as silk and very nice quality. I have several in origional 6.5X55mm and enjoy them. My only comment would be that the Swedish Models 1896 and 1938 were designed for operating pressures about 45,000 p.s.i. The 7mm/08 tops out at over 50,000 p.s.i. so I would not load hot rounds in a converted Swede. Just the idle thoughts of an idle fellow. All the best...
Gil

#10: Re: mauser/kimber Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:36 am
    ----
Howdy Thanx for the tip Gil thats a good thing to know. The current load i am useing is pretty accurate with no signs of pressure but i will keep this in mind, i am working on a load for it now useing the 140gr nosler accubond. Thanx again Gil

#11: Re: mauser/kimber Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:48 am
    ----
Howdy. I have talked a few times about my 7-08 i thought i would show a pic of it. www.huntingnut.com/ind...e&pid=147. Its a sweet shooter Very Happy Very Happy

#12: Re: mauser/kimber Author: The Big Dog PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:20 am
    ----
Hey Joe,

RED FLAG!!!!!!! You are loading way to hot for your Kimber in 7mm/08!!! The Proof load for the 6.5 Swede is 55114 psi while the Proof load for the 7mm/08 is 60190 psi. The working load for the 6.5 Swede is 48225 psi while the 7mm/08 is 52666 psi.

I just ran your load through Quickload and found the pressures you are loading for should be around 55761 psi. This is slightly about the proof load for the 6.5 Swede! Your max working pressure load with Varget and the 140gr bullet should be arounf 39.9 gr of Varget. A friend of mine just blew up a 6.5 Swede and he didn't have any signs of pressure before it let go! If you need any help with loads for your kimber, E-mail me at crystaleskies @ yahoo.com/

Let me know what bullet and powders you want to use and I'll send you the info. I hate to see a fellow shooter with a face full of scrap iron.

Catch you later,

The Big Dog

#13: Re: mauser/kimber Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:07 pm
    ----
Howdy. Thanks for the heads up big dog. I traded it to get my 788 back so i no longer have it but again thanx.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions