22rifle
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: 22rifle Author: fireball 3Location: northern calif PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:40 pm
    ----
need info on production date==stevens arm. 22 shorts longs and long rifles can be shot. it was my fathers in the late 50's. made at chicopee falls, mass.springfield model 15. has no ser. #
anyone that can help with the pro. date would be appreciated. dave Very Happy Surprised

#2: Re: 22rifle Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:08 pm
    ----
Fireball its older then Gun Control Act of 1968 because it has no serial number but you aready knew that. And it was made after Early 1938 when they started producing them. Smile

I'm going to go on a limb and say after 1941 they stopped making them till 1945 because of the War effort and making 22 caliber rifles were probably not in the list of goods that were ok'ed to use metal that the War Department needed to make items required for the war effort. Smile

BTW it cost in 1938 3.19$ to buy. Shocked

Dimitri

#3: Re: 22rifle Author: rdncktinkLocation: Hwaseong, South Korea PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:13 pm
    ----
Thanks for the help. My dad did the posting for me since I was busy. It's gone through both me and my brother and well I ain't giving it up. I think that my grandpa had gotten it from a catalog (or so I've herd). Thanks for the years on the seral numbers.

#4: Re: 22rifle Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:22 pm
    ----
If you knew the date it was bought new I'd personally add maybe at most a year to that date to get the range it was possibly manufactured in, I don't think that the rifle would have been more then a year from manufacture to dealer to being sold. Smile

Dimitri

#5: Re: 22rifle Author: terry264Location: Eastern-North Central West Virginia PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:22 pm
    ----
According to the "Blue Book", it was made between '36 and '45, and they made 224,000 of them. No prices listed in my book but newer books may have more info. My book is 20th. edition, 1999.

#6: Re: 22rifle Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:26 pm
    ----
Quote::
Springfield Model 15
Q: I have a .22 single-shot rifle. The barrel is marked "Springfield Model 15" on top. In between "Springfield" and "Model 15" is stamped "J. Stevens Arms Company, Chicopee Falls Mass. USA, Short, Long, or Long Rifle." There are three patent numbers on the left side of the barrel below the rear sight. There is no serial number. The barrel is 247⁄8 inches long and is held onto the stock by one knurled bolt. It has a nice brown patina to it. Like so many old goats, this was the first rifle given to me by my dad more than 45 years ago, and it was used then. Can you give me an idea when it was made? --E.B., Southport, FL

A: The J. Stevens Company introduced the Springfield Model 15 single-shot in early 1938. It had an original retail price of $3.19.

This is where I got it from -> www.gunsandammomag.com...alues0412/

Terry, interesting that they claim they were made during the war. Wouldn't have thought that. Smile

Dimitri

#7: Re: 22rifle Author: rdncktinkLocation: Hwaseong, South Korea PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:30 pm
    ----
Well we're having to go on family heresay on when and how it was bought since both of my grandparents are no longer with us. On my grandpa's it says patent pending with 14 in side of circle, left side of the rear sight. We have a parts rifle that says 3 patents pending, don't really care about that one since we already stole the ejector pin out of for my grandpa's

#8: Re: 22rifle Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:32 pm
    ----
Ah good old fashioned parts swapping. Smile

If one says only one patent (your grandfathers) and the other one says 3, then the other one is probably newer as more patents being issued probably came one after the other. Smile

Dimitri

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions