Hunting alone is crazy?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> Big Game Hunting

#16: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:03 pm
    ----
Welcome to the Hunting Nut Rainmaker sit and stay awhile Very Happy
Joe

#17: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:10 pm
    ----
Rainmaker,

Welcome to the forums. Howdy

Dimitri

#18: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:37 am
    ----
Welcome to the greatest hunting forum on the web Rainmaker. Good first post.....makes a lot of sense, but I still think that hunting alone isn't real good, even more so when you are alone in the camp as well.

However, I do agree with your sentiments about having no one to go with. I've sat at home more than once wishing I had a mate to go hunting with.

Cheers, Vince

#19: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Author: d_hoffmanLocation: Chillicothe, Ohio PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:08 pm
    ----
I do hunt alone but I don't really like to. Safety factors do come to play here. For example, my nephew went out hunting alone and while climbing into his stand the approximatly 2" branch that he was on decided to snap off at the trunk and he fell from about 25 feet. Needles to say he was hurt pretty bad. He had a broken ankle and several stiches in his face and a broken nose where he hit his face on his knee. That happened in a tree that he'd been using for quite awhile. Tree stand accidents happen all the time, some are fortunate enough to survive them without crippling injuries or worse yet, death.

#20: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:22 pm
    ----
A local fellow fell out of tree stand this last fall and is now parapelegic. He was on the ground in a heap for 2 days before any one found him.

#21: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:26 pm
    ----
I don't hunt in tree stands, if God wanted us to hunt in trees we'd still have tails. Smile

Dimitri

#22: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:33 pm
    ----
Some things are best hunted from tree stands. I hunt Elk from tree stands all the time. The thing is no matter how you hunt, a little common sense goes a long way in ensuring your safety.

#23: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:27 pm
    ----
1895ss wrote:
The thing is no matter how you hunt, a little common sense goes a long way in ensuring your safety.

You hit the nail on the head 1895ss
Joe

#24: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Author: RainmakerLocation: Ohio PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:19 pm
    ----
Thanks for the welcome guy’s! Glad to be here. I’ve lurked around the site for some time now. Now that I’ve retired again and have some time I decided to register and start posting again.
It’s my belief the only reason not to hunt alone (or camp, travel etc. when that is the only option) is for safety or health reasons. Experience and common sense are the important factors when determining what’s safe. So are safety factors different when hunting solo vs. when with others? I don’t believe so. Safe is safe. However the level of risk that is taken might change for some. Let me say this. There are acceptable levels of risk. If there wasn’t no one would drive a car as an example. Just gotta know where to draw the line and what preparations need to be made for the unexpected.

#25: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:06 pm
    ----
Dimitri wrote:
I don't hunt in tree stands, if God wanted us to hunt in trees we'd still have tails. Smile

Dimitri

Isn't that about the same as saying if He wanted us to fly across the country we would have wings.........???? Shocked

#26: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Author: lone wolfLocation: Medicine Hat, Alberta PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:12 pm
    ----
Personally, I prefer to hunt alone. I find it very satisfying and I can cover as much or as little territory as I feel like in a given day. The downside is having to pack the animals out by yourself. Common sense should always prevail and I ensure that someone knows the area I will be hunting in and (approximately) what time I will be back to town. Cell phones are a good idea where coverage exists. I never leave the truck without a compass and always pack a lightweight emergency kit (space blanket, first aid kit, water, trail mix & firestater) just in case I have to overnight it unexpectedly. It's definitely not for everyone but if you are comfortable in the outdoors and confident in your own ablities, give it a try !!

#27: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Author: MoraxLocation: Pittsburgh Pa PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:58 pm
    ----
a heck of a lot of pros and cons being tossed out on this subject, i am real surprised, shoulda put this into a poll form to see what the outcome would be!!

#28: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:19 pm
    ----
I hunt alot and alot of the time I hunt alone. Never considered it any big deal.-tr

#29: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Author: MoraxLocation: Pittsburgh Pa PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:21 pm
    ----
wow and noone caught what i said yet hahahah

#30: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:06 pm
    ----
1895ss wrote:
Isn't that about the same as saying if He wanted us to fly across the country we would have wings.........???? Shocked

Yes I belive it is, never liked flying anyways did quite a few trips from Toronto to Thunder Bay wasn't the funnest thing in the world, actually I prefered the LONG Gray Hound bus I took one time on that same route. Smile

Morax,

I did put it in a poll 55% say its safe and they do it all the time. Nananana

Dimitri

-> Big Game Hunting