Donations, Hunting Nut
-> General

#1: Donations, Hunting Nut Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:12 pm
    ----
Like many, I often hit the Hunting Nut website first and enjoy all the information, comments and opinions that I find here. But, nothing comes free. Somewhere, someone is picking up the cost of maintaining and operating this meeting place.

So, the question I pose is not whether we should contribute by donations, rather how much and how often?

DallanC, can you give us some added information? Are you running at all in the red from month to month? It would be shameful if you are going out of pocket; in fact, it would be wonderful if you had some surplus to expand the website as needed.

#2: Re: Donations, Hunting Nut Author: bodyalterLocation: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:38 pm
    ----
here here!! could even do like a membership drive thingy. I know I would give what I could.

#3: Re: Donations, Hunting Nut Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:40 pm
    ----
Handloader wrote:
Like many, I often hit the Hunting Nut website first and enjoy all the information, comments and opinions that I find here. But, nothing comes free. Somewhere, someone is picking up the cost of maintaining and operating this meeting place.

So, the question I pose is not whether we should contribute by donations, rather how much and how often?

DallanC, can you give us some added information? Are you running at all in the red from month to month? It would be shameful if you are going out of pocket; in fact, it would be wonderful if you had some surplus to expand the website as needed.

Thanks for asking. I've never tried to make a profit off of HuntingNut. It has been a fun hobby for me allowing me to keep current in the latest programmer languages, to keep in contact with people and offer a fun place to discuss things

For 5 years I never asked for any money, I was fine paying the monthly costs. When I upgraded the software for the site, and updated the hosting plan costs did rise a bit. Last year I added in the Donations block on the home page to finally allow people to "chip in". It was IMO a big success! I am grateful people donate, not because of the money, but because it shows they really love the place enough to go the extra mile to help out. Last year donations covered the website costs plus a small amount to go towards this year. Its a good thing too because at the rate we are increasing hits, I will have to upgrade our hosting plan again probably in a few months due to extra bandwidth we are using.

So this past year was the first year I didnt have to shell out any money to cover expenses, but at the rate we are going now, nearly 200,000 hits a month, we will have to upgrade plans which will raise the hosting costs.

If people would like to donate, they can either A) send money via paypal through the Donations block on the front page, or B) send money via check to me (I can add it as a donation manually). Paypal does charge me a small percentage to cover the transfer but its not much.

There is a chance I might try to get some specific advertisers too for the various sections that will help out.

-DallanC

#4: Re: Donations, Hunting Nut Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:59 pm
    ----
Glad you made mention of PayPal Dallan. I am more than happy to make a donation to help cover costs....or at the very least "pay my way", but I wasn't sure how to go about it.

Now I know.

Cheers, Vince

#5: Re: Donations, Hunting Nut Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:51 pm
    ----
on the way......... Smile

#6: Re: Donations, Hunting Nut Author: freedyfLocation: Idaho Falls, Idaho PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:29 am
    ----
I'm willingo make a donation to this site, I enjoy. I've gleaned knowledge, ideas and probably save a few bucks. I didn't see any line to paypal or a mailing address?? Keep up the good work. Freedyf

#7: Re: Donations, Hunting Nut Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:38 am
    ----
It's on the home page in the right hand upper corner you will see where it says "Donations." Click it and it will open a new page and you're there.

#8: Re: Donations, Hunting Nut Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:22 am
    ----
There are some people who cannot or refuse to use paypal. I used to have the mailing address in the donations block but when I upgraded reciently it looks to have been lost. I'll add it back in.

Thank you everyone who donated!

-DallanC

-> General