Slugs from a shotgun
-> General

#1: Slugs from a shotgun Author: KnifeboyLocation: The Arizona desert PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:56 pm
    ----
I have never shot a slug from a shotgun. I was just wondering what kind of accuracy you can get with them? I know that a lot of people use them out East, and a lot of you are back there. Also it seems like it would cause a lot more recoil than shooting bird shot, is this true? How far can you expect a slug to fly? Any info, and or stories on this topic would really be great to hear.

Knifeboy

#2: Re: Slugs from a shotgun Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:39 pm
    ----
Well I know you can hit a telephone pole with them at 50 yards out of a smoothbore pretty easy (abandoned pole, no power lines). Recoil was the same as a similar load of birdshot, F=MA, it doesnt matter if the mass is singular or in a bunch, you accelerate it all the same rate.

I always wanted to try a true slug barrel and see how they hold up accuracy-wise. As far as distance, I dont know for sure but close to whatever a muzzleloader would go I'd guess. Modern slugs are pretty powerful.

Perhaps people from back east where they are restricted to shotguns will have alot more info and experience.

-DallanC

#3: Re: Slugs from a shotgun Author: grimel PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:49 am
    ----
Ummm, a "true" slug barrrel comes with either scope mounts or rifle sights. It can have either a smooth or rifled barrel. The rifled barrels can shoot around 2" at 100yds after you find the right slug. Smooth bores are good for <6in (usually).

Range - sabots from a rifled barrel with a GOOD PRACTICED shot? 150-175yds

smooth bore - 100yds. 125 with an outsanding barrel and a good practiced shot.

#4: It depends Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:33 pm
    ----
There are areas in Pennsylvania that are restricted to slug guns, archery equipment and muzzleloaders. I put B-Square "saddle" mounts on a Remington 870 12 gauge and a mirror image setup on a 16 gauge 870. These are improved cylinder smoothbores and are accurate out to about 75 yards. The slug will go farther, but gravity and physics come into play and accuracy becomes a bit questionable thing. There are many areas in this state where deer are shot at 50 yards. Slugs guns have more range than a bow and archery hunters take a lot of deer every year.

Last year, I found a 12 ga. Marlin Model 512 slug gun, bolt action with a rifled bore. Lightfield sabot rounds were impressive and I was able to stay on paper at 100 yards. I believe slug rounds have more recoil than birdshot loads. The payload weight is about the same, but slugs leave the muzzle at a higher velocity, hence more kick. All the best...
Gil

#5: Re: Slugs from a shotgun Author: calsibley PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:26 am
    ----
I have not fired my 12ga shotgun with a slug barrel at more than 50yds., but it grouped at a little less than an inch at that distance. It's an older Remington 870, and I was quite impressed. I never knew they were that accurate. The recoil wasn't too bad. It's strange, but I only seem to notice recoil when I'm firing at the bench. In fairly heavy bush I prefer using the slug barrel for deer and bear. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

#6: Re: Slugs from a shotgun Author: KnifeboyLocation: The Arizona desert PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:26 pm
    ----
This is great info guys thanks for posting. I am now wondering about the slug itself, does is mushroom like a normal bullet?

Knifeboy

#7: Re: Slugs from a shotgun Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:06 pm
    ----
Howdy Knifeboy. Its bin my Experience with slugs that they do not mushroom like a rifle bullet. They do expand but just kinda deform( for lack of a better word) the lead ones. They make so many now and have come a long way so they may do better now i haven't slug hunted for about 6 years now i did a lot of it in the 90s. Winchester use to make one copper plated they were very accurate but you could shoot it in the ground dig it up and looked like it did before you shot it. (imo) light fields are one of the best around for expansion and accuracy but slug guns are like rifles gotta shoot different ones to see what it likes.

-> General