7mm Remington Mag good or bad?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  :| |:
-> General

#76: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Author: gobbuster PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:25 pm
    ----
I was watching one of those hunting shows and the host was talking about his Christensen and stated that there was absolutly no metal in the bore or chamber. Was he inaccurate about that? I'll look them up on the internet and let ya all know what I find out. Although, I'm sure you guys know what your talking about. Dimitri sounds real informed on this subject.
Speaking of custom actions, I just finished beding, lapping, and mounting a nice 3.5x10 Leupold a model 110 Savage. This rifle is a nail driver now. Did the same thing to all my actions and it does make a big difference, with exception to a model 70 ultra light mountain rifle that never improved.
Well guys, I'm going to get out and shoot some dove and quail today.
Gobbuster

#77: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:32 pm
    ----
GobBuster,

The TV show was wrong.

Quote::
Q: What does a carbon barrel consist of?
Written by Carms Team

Christensen Arms uses a Shilen select match grade, 416R stainless steel blank, which is machined down and wrapped in carbon.

As they state they make the liner out of a Shilen barrel. There is a metal liner in the barrel.

A picture from there website showing that the liner is not thin all the way through but gradually builds up into the chamber area and thins out towards the muzzle. Smile

Dimitri

#78: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Author: gobbuster PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:59 pm
    ----
Thank you Dimitri, you have deffinitly cleared up the subject for me. What is your opinion on this new concept. Are they worth the price tag? And do they have any more life span than a good barrel such as a Douglas? I've never personally shot the barrel out of any high power like a friend I have that has shot several out in his .270.
Merry Christmas
Gobbuster

#79: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:23 pm
    ----
Not sure if they are wroth the money unless you want a light weight rifle. Its a pretty expensive gun and you can purchase guns for that kind of money (4000$ for a basic rifle) from other sources for cheaper.

HS Precision for example sells rifles that are not as expensive (base price starts at about 2,000$ if memory serves) and they garrentee 3 shot groups at under 1/2 MOA at 100 yards from their rifles (30 caliber and under). And there are many more companies out there that have similar accuracy gerrentees for their rifles.

But in the end depends on what your son likes to shoot and what he wants it for.

Dimitri

#80: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Author: outlawlinemanLocation: Central Coast California PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:05 pm
    ----
This is from the Christensen Arms web site. Actually not too bad if to have a rifle that is shooting sub par.

Install custom barrel with match grade chamber and Shilen barrel liner.(Includes facing the front of your action) $995
Turn down your barrel and install our patented Carbon Wrap $599

Install Christensen Arms Graphite Stock. Remington Only.
(Includes glass bedding)
$425
Install Custom Stocks: MPI, Rimrock, Mcmillan, or any after market stock.(Does not include glass bedding) $499
Modify your existing stock and free float your barrel $75
Install our Titanium Muzzle Brake $195
Converting Rem 700 bolt faces to magnums or larger size.
(Includes installing a Sako style extractor) $100
Glass Bed your Action $115
Pillar Bed your Action $125
Accurize your Action $200
Teflon Coat Your Action $150

#81: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:30 pm
    ----
outlawlineman wrote:
This is from the Christensen Arms web site. Actually not too bad if to have a rifle that is shooting sub par.

Install custom barrel with match grade chamber and Shilen barrel liner.(Includes facing the front of your action) $995
Turn down your barrel and install our patented Carbon Wrap $599

Install Christensen Arms Graphite Stock. Remington Only.
(Includes glass bedding)
$425
Install Custom Stocks: MPI, Rimrock, Mcmillan, or any after market stock.(Does not include glass bedding) $499
Modify your existing stock and free float your barrel $75
Install our Titanium Muzzle Brake $195
Converting Rem 700 bolt faces to magnums or larger size.
(Includes installing a Sako style extractor) $100
Glass Bed your Action $115
Pillar Bed your Action $125
Accurize your Action $200
Teflon Coat Your Action $150

All good "wishlist" stuff.

Fact-of-the-matter is that most factory rifles with handloads will outshoot the average hunter. Most hunters (notice I said "HUNTERS", not "SHOOTERS") would benefit more by spending their money on additional ammo and range time rather than having CA tweak their guns. (CA has billed themselves as a long range "HUNTING" rifle manufacturer in every advertisement I've seen)

#82: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Author: gobbuster PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:40 pm
    ----
Hi there hunterjoe21,
I totally agree with you that most hunters would benefit more with range time. Most hunters I have guided were not confident enough, or skilled enough to take a 200 yard shot at game. The majority of hunters don't even know how to sight their rifles in properly. More often than not they will have the local sporting good store bore sight it thinking that is sufficient. I worked in a sproting good store and the gun smith bore sighted a rifle I had just mounted a new Leupold on and it wouldn't even get on the paper at 200 yds. Honestly I don't believe there is any substitute for benching a rifle. In fact, most will try to sight in off hand, unable to get a consistency by which to make changes to the scope adjustments accordingly. A couple of months ago I was at our local range and there was about 10 other people getting ready for hunting season doing exactly as I just described. A man and his wife asked me if I would sight in his wife's .243 he had just bought for her and was upset that the gun shop had not bore sighted it in correctly. I sighted it in for her and was able to help both of them with their shooting skills. By the time I left the range both of them were putting most of their shots in the center area of the target at 200 yds. The gentleman was honest and admitted he has never actually been able to hit any where near the center of the target at even 100 yds. until I showed him how to bench his rifle. Lets face it, if a person can't even hit the target effectively how are they going to ever start enjoying the sport and want to get others involved. I know I get a little carried away in this this area of our beloved sport, but I want to see average folks really enjoying it and getting all they can out of this type of recreation. Its a dying sport and is in need of more supporters to stop it from becoming extinct. I understand that not everyone wants to spend the money on a spotting scope, shooting rest, chrony, and all the other tools some of us more serious shooters use. But one can't just not sight in their rifle and expect to hit an animal at even 100 yds. without at least some type of steady rest. I think I'm done now.
Gobbuster

#83: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Author: gobbuster PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:08 pm
    ----
Thanks Demitri,
I didn't realize they were that expensive. I'll probably just get him a Ruger M77 in 7 mag. and I'll do the fine tuning myself. He has an M77 in .270 and its a real shooter. It easn't all that bad right out of the box before I floated the barrel, lapped the action & barrel, pillar bedded the action, and mounted up a nice Leupold 3.5x10x50. my boys of which I have 5 and 1 daughter, all have been raised with guns and taught how to bench them, benefit from well tuned firearms which is the only reason I work these production rifles for them. Speaking of production rifles, I really like the Savage 110. I have several of them and my boys have a few as well. These inexpensive rifles are really good shooters and are as easy to customize as are the Remingtons. My buddy builds some really nice rifles using 98 actions and can't hardly believe how accurate one of my 110s in .280 is at 200 yds. It cleanly puts 5 in the same whole at 200 yds. consistently. And all I did to it was glass bedded the action, lapped the action/barrel, and floated the barrel. This particular rifle was very badly head spaced when I took it out of the box. And to my surprise I took my go no go guage to the local gun shop and randomly started checking actions on new rifles and a lot of the Savage's had serious issues in this so critical of an area. I did bench this 110 before I corrcted the action and the groups were terrible. But thanks again for the heads up on those CA's and I think I'll just stick to my inexpensive customized productions.
Gobbuster

#84: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Author: gobbuster PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:23 pm
    ----
Does anyone want a guided turkey hunt this spring? I will guided for free and have a near 200% sucess ratio (2 birds in New Mexico). I've been guiding for over 20 years. All I ask is you pay for the expenses of hunting. I don't want any money at all. This hunt is in the Cloudcroft area, S.W. New Mexico about 80 N. E. of El Paso, Texas. One very important matter is your ability to climb a steep slope at elevations of over 8 thousand feet at 4:00 AM in the morning. I've had many clients pay for a hunt they can't endure. So be sure you are personally up to a grueling work out. In this neck of the woods turkey hunting is very physical long before you ever get set up for the shot. I don't allow roost shooting as some turkey hunters do. All you need to bring is your shotgun, or bow, some warm water proof clothing/ boots. I prefer to take someone that has never killed a turkey or one called in so I can enjoy the look on their face when that gob comes strutting in.
Gobbuster

#85: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:05 pm
    ----
gobbuster wrote:
Does anyone want a guided turkey hunt this spring? I will guided for free and have a near 200% sucess ratio (2 birds in New Mexico). I've been guiding for over 20 years. All I ask is you pay for the expenses of hunting. I don't want any money at all. This hunt is in the Cloudcroft area, S.W. New Mexico about 80 N. E. of El Paso, Texas. One very important matter is your ability to climb a steep slope at elevations of over 8 thousand feet at 4:00 AM in the morning. I've had many clients pay for a hunt they can't endure. So be sure you are personally up to a grueling work out. In this neck of the woods turkey hunting is very physical long before you ever get set up for the shot. I don't allow roost shooting as some turkey hunters do. All you need to bring is your shotgun, or bow, some warm water proof clothing/ boots. I prefer to take someone that has never killed a turkey or one called in so I can enjoy the look on their face when that gob comes strutting in.
Gobbuster

Thanks for the offer, But I can shoot a Turkey on my own place here in FLAT 600 feet above sea level Michigan.. If I'm going to climb mountains for something it's gonna have to be more than a bird. Like Elk, Deer, etc.

How much for an Archery Elk Hunt?

#86: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Author: vint2Location: Iowa PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:41 pm
    ----
I am always amazed by people who never go to the range and shoot and never expect problems with a weapon that would be taken care of if they shot once in a while!!! Confused Smile

#87: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:50 pm
    ----
vint2 wrote:
I am always amazed by people who never go to the range and shoot and never expect problems with a weapon that would be taken care of if they shot once in a while!!! Confused Smile

??? did I miss something?

#88: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Author: vint2Location: Iowa PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:03 pm
    ----
No, I am several posts late with my response!!!!! Embarassed

#89: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:19 pm
    ----
Had a very busy Christmas, hence the late post. But I'm here now. Very Happy

gobbuster wrote:
I know I get a little carried away in this this area of our beloved sport, but I want to see average folks really enjoying it and getting all they can out of this type of recreation. Its a dying sport and is in need of more supporters to stop it from becoming extinct.

Damn fine sentiments gobbuster. I personally won't argue with them. The more people, especially youngun's, you get interested in the shooting sports, the more chance you have of beating the antis.

Cheers, Vince

#90: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Author: gobbuster PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:05 pm
    ----
I know this sounds rather unacceptable to some folks. But I taught my Son's and Daughtter to shoot guns when they were old enough to pull the trigger. I taught them safety to the extreme and now that they are adults they are passing it on to their children and spouses. Frankly I won't shoot or hunt with weekend warriors for safety reasons. I've been nearly killed so many times I honestly can't count. All the result of lack of consideration for safety. One of the reasons I like Arizona is we have tons of public land that is not accessible by any means but foot. It help weed out the dangerous ones that manage to shoot their selves or someone else. I don't go to the range any more because it isn't supervised. I now go out into the country to shoot. My wife and I have always kept loaded guns in our home and because we showed our children what guns do they never touched the guns unless it was with supervision and in the right enviroment. in fact they would restrict their friends from the curosity of wanting to pick up the guns by letting my wife or I know when a friend was in our home. We teach them about other dangers that kill and guns are no different. As I stated, we showed them what guns can do by letting them see an animal that was shot with all the blood and gore. It gives a clear immage of death without having to manufacture circumstances or exagerate.
Gobbuster

-> General