Leupold Vari-X-III, Your thoughts
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Leupold Vari-X-III, Your thoughts Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:06 pm
    ----
I bought a V-X-III 4.5-14X50mm, illuminated reticle from my brother for a good price, and was wondering if any one has had any good or bad to say about it. Seems to be a clear scope, he never had it on a gun. He has some vision problems and ended up buying a 56mm. The lighted recticle flickers a little when I adjust the brightness, I don't know if that will be a problem or not. Leupold seems to be a good company and I'm sure I could send it in for repairs if needed.

#2: Re: Leupold Vari-X-III, Your thoughts Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:51 pm
    ----
I own a a VXIII and love it. I own alot of VX-II's as well and have had nothing but exceptional results. I dont know much about the lighted reticles and would contact Leupold if the reticle is flickering. They are good people and will correct it if there is a problem.

-DallanC

#3: Re: Leupold Vari-X-III, Your thoughts Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:51 am
    ----
I only dream of owning a VX-III. In fact I would settle for a VX-I. Laughing

I have heard nothing but good about them over here in Aussie. I know those that have the Leopold product over here have never had a problem with them.

Cheers, Vince

#4: Re: Leupold Vari-X-III, Your thoughts Author: fb41 PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:23 am
    ----
I have a Vari-X III 1.5-5x on my .50 Beowulf AR-15. Great scope, fast acquisition and clear.

#5: Re: Leupold Vari-X-III, Your thoughts Author: ShipsterLocation: Oregon PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:32 am
    ----
glockman55 I maybe a little bias on my view of Leupold since I work about 3 miles from their Beaverton Plant but dollar for dollar they are the best scope you can buy and the customer service is second to none. A couple of years ago I took my Competition Series 36x scope by the plant to have the reticle changed that was on a Monday and on Friday the UPS man dropped my scope off. Not only did they change the reticle they upgraded the the adjustment system for nothing. So basically I got a new scope for the price of the reticle change. I wish I could tell you more, but all of the other Leupold scopes that I have are still mounted on rifles and have not needed any service preformed on them.

#6: Re: Leupold Vari-X-III, Your thoughts Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:42 pm
    ----
I own one other Leupold V-X 1 3X9X40, Love it, I put that on my Encore 209 Magnum ML. The V-X-III 4.5-14X50mm Is on my 7mm,mag. Burris scope rings, ( my brother says that's the only kind to buy) Best out there.
Thanks for the positive feedback.

#7: Re: Leupold Vari-X-III, Your thoughts Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:34 am
    ----

Here is a pic of my Scope mounted on my 7 mag. I decided to put three sets of Burris rings on it for better stability. My brother is a big fan of over kill, he has 4 sets of rings on his rifle. Adds some weight, but I think it holds the larger scopes better.

#8: Re: Leupold Vari-X-III, Your thoughts Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:09 am
    ----
Glockman,

Neat never seen that done myself. Smile

Most people I know when they ask for advice on what scope rings to get from me think I'm a fan of over kill when I tell them if I ever mount a scope on my gun I'm going to get these rings:

But 4 different scope rings attached to the scope means that even if one or even 2 (as long as they arnt both in the front or in the back) get lose you wont lose zero on your rifle if you lapped them stright when you installed them. Smile

Dimitri

#9: Re: Leupold Vari-X-III, Your thoughts Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:07 pm
    ----
Dimitri, those are some Bad A$$ rings, I'll bet they give them away.LOL

#10: Re: Leupold Vari-X-III, Your thoughts Author: yotebusterLocation: Georgia PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:47 pm
    ----
Leupolds are darn near bullet proof. Excellent optics. And they are a fine company about standing behind their products.
Hey Vince, what's stopping you from owning one?
By the way, Leupold is coming out with a 2x12x50 scope. Talk about a near perfect all around scope. Can't wait to see it.
Yotebuster Very Happy Very Happy

#11: Re: Leupold Vari-X-III, Your thoughts Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:35 pm
    ----
Glockman,

They'll give them away to you for 170$ a pair from Midway USA Very Happy

Dimitri

#12: Re: Leupold Vari-X-III, Your thoughts Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:00 pm
    ----
Ya, I checked them out, Sure look like some awesome rings. I think a set of Burris is around $50.

#13: Re: Leupold Vari-X-III, Your thoughts Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:10 pm
    ----
Glockman,

Yah there are cheaper alternatives that work just as well, but reason I like these ones is because there is more clamping area and they are pretty thick. Only place I've ever seen rings fail is there not at the spot they hold the scope. Smile

Dimitri

#14: Re: Leupold Vari-X-III, Your thoughts Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:17 pm
    ----
I've seen scopes screwed up by over tightening and mounting too close to the bell, I'm by no means an expert but I have yet to mess up a scope. Confused Too much invested.

#15: Re: Leupold Vari-X-III, Your thoughts Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:19 pm
    ----
Glockman,

They must have just slaped on the scope and clamped it down, bet they didnt even slowly tighten it to make it fit "stright" nevermind lapping the rings stright Shocked

Dimitri

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions