Computing velocity
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#16: Re: Computing velocity Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:19 pm
    ----
What are you trying to say Vince? Come on spit it out.........!

#17: Re: Computing velocity Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:21 pm
    ----
Who me ???? Surprised Shocked

Haha Haha Haha

Cheers, Vince

#18: Re: Computing velocity Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:23 pm
    ----
Vince wrote:
Who me ???? Surprised Shocked

Haha Haha Haha

Cheers, Vince

Yes "You" .....!!!!!!! Shocked Haha Haha Haha

#19: Re: Computing velocity Author: GrantLocation: Grande Prairie, Alberta PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:19 am
    ----
1895ss wrote:
Grant try Russel Sports in Calgary as well, their prices are better on some items at times. Even try S.I.R.
www.russellsports.com/
www.sirmailorder.ca/

I've never looked at rRussell sports before, but I have used SIR. I'll have to chek both out.

#20: Re: Computing velocity Author: GrantLocation: Grande Prairie, Alberta PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:24 am
    ----
1895ss wrote:
Dimitri is right, it isn't our laws that are holding up gun related stuff at the border. It is the U.S. laws that are holding things up. I guess they are scared we may all be terrorists north of the 49th.

It's even worse when your from BC, Those yanks think every person in BC has a grow op....... Insane

I mean, we do, but most of us only have small operations for personal use........ Angel

#21: Re: Computing velocity Author: GrantLocation: Grande Prairie, Alberta PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:58 pm
    ----
1895....... Wholesale sports on the F1 $109
SIR................................. $139
Didn't check Russel yet. Ya do have to check your prices don't ya.

#22: Re: Computing velocity Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:26 pm
    ----
Yep you sure do and they change around from time to time and depending on what you're buying. Smile

By the way, Russell Sports in Calgary sells the F1 for $104.99

#23: Re: Computing velocity Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:20 am
    ----
Every time I hear that this software or that new software can accurately predict the speed of a bullet I think of the tests that my brother and I have made with our revolvers. Most loads will shoot 125 to 150 fps faster in my gun than they do in his. That is about a ten percent difference in the velocity. That to me would not be an accurate estimation if someone told me my ammo would shoot the bullet at 1500 fps and it was 10% slower or faster. We used our revolvers for the tests because they are the same caliber, we were able to use the same loads (mine) in both guns, the barrel lengths are the same, they are the same make and model with a serial number that is very close (within three numbers). For all practical purposes they are identical guns but there is quite a difference in the speed at which a bullet from the same load will exit the barrel. I have never found any software that can even come close to predicting the velocity of ammo. My chronograpgs do a real good job of recording it though. That chronograph will take the wind out of your sails real fast. I have fired loads for others in their rifles over the chronograph that they thought were over 2700 fps and showed 2500fps - I am sure that they walked away thinking I should have my chrono calibrated. Funny thing is both of my chronos give the same or nearly the same (within 1%) velocity for the same ammo.

#24: Re: Computing velocity Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:25 pm
    ----
Hi guys,

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas.

Just came back from goat hunting at Cobar..Got a few of them critters and ...
err better start another thread there..

Oh yeah, back to topic.

There is a program called QuickLoad from www.neconos.com/details3.htm
It does the estimation of pressure and velocity based on weight of projectiles, powder, case capacity etc.
Been thinking to get one if it works okay. Must be great for testing new powder etc.

Gelan

#25: Re: Computing velocity Author: MoraxLocation: Pittsburgh Pa PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:57 pm
    ----
i d/led the demo for it, didnt do me no good as it only showed me a couple calibers, and none i use Sad

#26: Re: Computing velocity Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:40 am
    ----
ya demo only shows a few calibers.

But the yap sheets does says that the bought version have a file for over 200 powders !!!
that is sure attractive !!

Gelan

#27: Re: Computing velocity Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:26 am
    ----
You can estimate just as closely what the velocity of a given load will be by subtracting 100 or 200 fps from whats in your reloading manual. No software - no matter how good it is can provide an accurate figure for velocity of any load fired in any two guns. There is a lot more to that equation than weght and pressure. If you could add in the finish and exact size (to within .00001") of your barrel for each inch the bullet travels it and the amount of resistance that particular bullet has to being forced into the grooves (or over the lands) of your weapon then it might have enough information to come close to what your bullets velocity might be. You can probably get a chronograph for less than any commercial software and then you would know exactly what the speed was.

#28: Re: Computing velocity Author: Northern CanuckLocation: Alberta, Canada PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:37 pm
    ----
Grant
I just had to buy a different chrony when I moved to Alberta. I had a basic model which worked fine out on my fathers farm when it was just me shooting. If there was a problem I just quit shooting walked up and reset it. Now I have to test my loads at a range that has lots of people and one has to wait until a cease fire has been called to do any resets. Hence I bought a chrony with the cable remote readout and buttons. Just a consideration you may want to look at if you are stuck to a fairly busy range like I am.
Northern Canuck

-> Reloading Ammunition