LOL! This thing real or homebrew? What is it?
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: LOL! This thing real or homebrew? What is it? Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:07 pm
    ----

This thing real or homebrew? What is it?

Haha

-DallanC

#2: Re: LOL! This thing real or homebrew? What is it? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:18 pm
    ----
That is real Smile

Its the L-39 20mm Lahti rifle, It was the "child" of Finnish arms designer Aimo Lahti. Over 1900 were produced. The Finish used it in the Winter War and the Continuation War agisnt Russian tanks. Shooting a 2,345 grains 20mm round it was capable of about 2600fps! At 300 meters (328 yards) it could penitrate 20mm (0.787") of tank armour! That big funny muzzle break you see is the reason why it was effective without ALOT of recoil. Lahti developed it to elimate as much of the recoil as possible. Shocked

It weights 110 POUNDS! And the barrel was over 51 inches long! Shocked Its nickname was "Norsupyssy" or "Elephant Gun" Very Happy

The rifle was good for the Winter War tanks used by the Russians, in the Contiuation War the Russians had more heavily armoured tanks so it couldnt penitrate the armour but they were used as Anti-implacement rifles instead to penitrate fortifications etc. But because of their weight instead of retreating with them they normally were left behind (mind you the Finish fought pretty hard in both wars so I dont think they retreated much Wink )

Its perfectly legal to own in Canada and in the US its a Distructive device unless its one of the ones that were converted to 50BMG as far as I know. Smile

Dimitri

Edit: My mistake I confused the Boyds Anti-Tank rifle with the Lathi rifle so I dont actually know if its legal in Australia. Sad

Last edited by Dimitri on Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:27 am; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: LOL! This thing real or homebrew? What is it? Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:36 pm
    ----
cool info dmitri, thanks. now my question is, what's that dude in the pic hunting with it? Laughing

#4: Re: LOL! This thing real or homebrew? What is it? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:43 pm
    ----
Not sure, I think deer. Shocked

Dimitri

#5: Re: LOL! This thing real or homebrew? What is it? Author: A17ShooterLocation: California Foothills (Gold Country) PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:12 am
    ----
I remember seeing them advertised in mail order when I was growing up. Obviously pre '68.

#6: Re: LOL! This thing real or homebrew? What is it? Author: sniperLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:45 am
    ----
Dimitri wrote:
Not sure, I think deer. Shocked Dimitri

ROFL

Didja notice the size of the ear protectors on the truck hood? I don't think I would shoot it, even to get bragging rights.

#7: Re: LOL! This thing real or homebrew? What is it? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:46 am
    ----
Only in the land of "Buh-buh"... Hiding

#8: Re: LOL! This thing real or homebrew? What is it? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:02 am
    ----
Bushmaster,

Not sure where it is Bushmaster, this is a blown up of his license if anyone can recongize it. Smile

Dimitri

#9: Re: LOL! This thing real or homebrew? What is it? Author: ShipsterLocation: Oregon PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:26 pm
    ----
tracker wrote:
cool info dmitri, thanks. now my question is, what's that dude in the pic hunting with it? Laughing

ANY THING he wants. That's obvious isn't it.

The Plates look to be Oregon

#10: Re: LOL! This thing real or homebrew? What is it? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:46 pm
    ----
Oregon,

Humm, Grizzly bear perhaps ?? Shocked

Dimitri

#11: Re: LOL! This thing real or homebrew? What is it? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:01 pm
    ----
Griz?!!? In Oregon? Hell no. Hippies (Eugene/Springfield) left over from the '60's maybe, but not Grizzly bears.

#12: Re: LOL! This thing real or homebrew? What is it? Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:17 pm
    ----
Dimitri wrote:
Not sure, I think deer. Shocked

Dimitri

Very Happy

A deer shot with that would be similar to a rabbit shot with a 308 I recond.
YOu shot it, skin it, cooked it, chew it, swallow it, process it and sh!t it out all in the same time. would be quite effective that..

gelan

#13: Re: LOL! This thing real or homebrew? What is it? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:53 pm
    ----
By the way check this link out:

www.thegunzone.com/peo...lahti.html

And this one is the guys photo gallery:

www.obscure-reference....index.html

Apparently the guys name is Gordon Greene, and they had a shoot in West Virgina Smile

Dimitri

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions