Vetrans Day best wishes
-> General

#1: Vetrans Day best wishes Author: SwampFoxLocation: Destin, Florida PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:11 am
    ----
Thanks to all of our Vetrans, best wishes for a great Vetrans Day tomorrow and a very good year to come.
Ed

Wave

#2: Re: Vetrans Day best wishes Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:21 pm
    ----
We call it Remembrance Day up here, but I'd sure like to second the sentiment.

#3: Re: Vetrans Day best wishes Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:35 pm
    ----
Yup its Remembrance day here Smile

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Smile

Hope All the Veterns in all the countries that served have a good day tommorrow and as always I'm thankful to thouse that faught and lost there lives. Smile

Remember if your in Canada wear your poppies. Smile (I dont know if the US or other countries does that :?)

And remember to give a moment (2 minutes) of silence at 11:11am tommorrow even if you cant get to a service tommorrow Smile

Dimitri

#4: Re: Vetrans Day best wishes Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:28 am
    ----
Thanks Dimitri. In Flanders Fields, what a beautiful poem....the story behind it is just as good.

We celebrate (is that really the right word to use) Armistice Day or Remembrance Day here in Australia as well. I attended a service as a Piper and played the lament while wreaths and other floral tributes were laid to our fallen comrades. A very moving service.

To all our veterans, regardless of the conflict.....I SALUTE YOU.

Cheers, Vince

#5: Re: Vetrans Day best wishes Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:46 pm
    ----
Dmitri,

Thanks for posting the poem, nice reminder. I believe the poppy wearing is specifically us Canuckistanians. I also think it's great that we on a forum can all agree that the important thing is to honour those who serve.

#6: Re: Vetrans Day best wishes Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:08 pm
    ----
Tracker,

I dont know about this board but alot of other boards I visit get up in arms when a fellow Canadian calls Canada by that nickname because its anti-Canadian type people who created it. Shocked

Just a friendly tip. Smile

Dimitri

#7: Re: Vetrans Day best wishes Author: ogreLocation: Melbourne PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:57 pm
    ----
we wear a red poppy to from flanders fields- where the blood spilit by aussies have turned the poppies red

later
P

#8: Re: Vetrans Day best wishes Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:00 pm
    ----
Ogre,

So Australia uses it too. I didnt know that Smile

Dimitri

#9: Re: Vetrans Day best wishes Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:15 pm
    ----
Yo Dmitri, I use that particular appelation to laugh at whoever the guy was that first slapped it at us, so...no offense meant. I just get a chuckle out of it. And yo our aussie brothers, thanks for sharing the info. Vince you're a piper? awesome, it's becoming a lost art.

#10: Re: Vetrans Day best wishes Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:19 pm
    ----
Tracker,

Not a problem, I'm just passing along some advice I've found when people call Canada that it doesnt go too well with alot of Canadians. Smile

Dimitri

#11: Re: Vetrans Day best wishes Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:52 pm
    ----
how upset are they all gonna be when I go out hunting wearing my blaze orang "keffiyeh" Laughing Laughing Laughing

#12: Re: Vetrans Day best wishes Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:00 pm
    ----
Tracker,

I dont think they'd get upset at all, especially if they are from around here many people wear them every day here! Wink

Dimitri

#13: Re: Vetrans Day best wishes Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:14 am
    ----
Darn!! Embarassed

-> General