Model 70 Serial Number Question
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Model 70 Serial Number Question Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:37 pm
    ----
I have a question for you gentlemen, because I am a little confused.
2yrs. ago I purchased a used Model 70 Classic Sporter 300win mag from Gander Mountain.
The gun is in perfect shape.
Whoever owned it before me, had the barrel ported, the bolt fixed so it is glass smooth, and the trigger set so it is light and smooth.
The barrel twist is 1-10.
At the range it drives tacks.
Today, on the site that has serial numbers for various firearms, my serial number showed that the Model 70 was manufactured in 1954, which doesn't make sense to me, being that it is a Classic Sporter.
The Serial # is G313000.
Now my question: Did the previous owner have the barrel replaced with one from an older firearm??
Anybody have any other ideas???
Thanks for any help.
Eric

#2: Re: Model 70 Serial Number Question Author: shootistLocation: Lackawaxen,PA PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:56 pm
    ----
Hi Elyboy...I believe your rifle was made by USRAC after around 1994 when the pre-64 action type was re-introduced. The .300 Win Mag was introduced in 1963 being necked-down from the .458 Mag introduced in 1958. I don't believe Winchester had alpha characters in serial numbers in the 1950's.

Maybe others can help.......Regards

SHOOTIST

#3: Re: Model 70 Serial Number Question Author: freedyfLocation: Idaho Falls, Idaho PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:48 am
    ----
Hi Everyone: Earlier this year I purchased a Savage Model 99, Serial # 143431 from a friend. It is a takedown model, 250-3000. Alot of the bluing is worn off around the carry area, the barrel is about 90-% blue, everything on the gun works well and it is tight. I can get 1 1/2 groups with it with various loads. Can anyone give me info on it's worth, age, etc. Thanks freedyf

#4: Re: Model 70 Serial Number Question Author: popgunLocation: Mitchell, GA, U.S.A. (2007 pop. 191) PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:17 am
    ----
Elyboy,
The G prefix started in 64 when the actions were changed and the prefix continues through the latest production. Recheck the number to make sure you have all of the digits and enter the number again at oldguns.net/sn_php/win...lookup.php

Freedyf,
I am not familiar with a website that has the dates of Manf. for Savage Arms. Try emailing Savage Arms and see if they can provide you with a date code marking system on your rifle. Looking in the BlueBook of Gun Values 22nd. ed. I found a couple of take down models and one chambered in 250-3000. Is there a letter prefix after Model 99 i.e 99B or 99G on the receiver? The G model was chambered in 250-3000 and manufactured between 1922-1941 valued at $660 for 100% condition down to $200 for 60% Then add 10% for the 250-3000 chambering. Blue Book Values are what you could sell the rifle to a collector for but not what a dealer would offer on trade or straight sale.

#5: Re: Model 70 Serial Number Question Author: dontstrokemeLocation: Port Angeles, WA PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:51 am
    ----
armscollectors.com/sn/windates.htm

I looked up my pre-64 on this site, if I remember right I think that it is #'s under 700,000 are the pre-64 type

Joe Oakes

#6: Re: Model 70 Serial Number Question Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:00 am
    ----
Thanks for the info guys,
Using the site that you gave me, the year of manufacture is 1954.
The only thing that I can figure on this, is that the previous owner put an older barrel on the gun.
Eric

#7: Re: Model 70 Serial Number Question Author: popgunLocation: Mitchell, GA, U.S.A. (2007 pop. 191) PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:15 pm
    ----
ElyBoy,
I just checked some serial number information in the Blue Book of Gun Values 13th and 22nd editions. The first year that a 'G' prefix was used on the Model 70 Winchester was 1969. So if your serial number has the 'G' prefix it was manufactured after 1969. Did you recheck the serial number to make sure you had all of the didgits listed in the serial number? If not recheck and PM me with the number and I will look it up in the Blue Book for you. The 'G' prefix started with serial number G925909 and continued up. Production of the Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter with Controled Round Feed (large claw extractor) started in 1994 and the 300 Win Mag was a standard caliber.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions