Case Trimmer
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#46: Re: Case Trimmer Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:53 pm
    ----
I use a Lyman trimmer have had it for years and does a fine job.....
Joe

#47: Re: Case Trimmer Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:45 pm
    ----
The Sinclair trimmer your talking about is a Wilson case trimmer sold through Sinclair.
It is highly ranked by the benchrest shooting community.
The only drawback is you have to buy a cartridge holder for each cartridge you are going to trim.
If you buy it I'd suggest getting the whole package with trimmer,mount,clamping attachment,and micrometer. You can also get a power adapter if you want to speed things up.

#48: Re: Case Trimmer Author: dakota1Location: Mesa, Arizona PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:55 am
    ----
rrogacki wrote:
PaulS is right. I never get my brass trimed to the exact specification, always plus or minus a .010 (or so), but they are all trimed to a consistent length. They still shoot accurately, safely and most of all, they still hunt good.

Isn't .010" a bit extreme for tolerance? On .270 Win. trim length is 2.530, and max length is 2.540. If you have a variability of .010", how do you keep it in the tolerance window?

Am I over thinking this?

Last edited by dakota1 on Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

#49: Re: Case Trimmer Author: fireball 3Location: northern calif PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:54 pm
    ----
I use a lyman case trimmer w/ different shaft w/ preset case lengths. All I do then is swap out from one to the other for diff cases. Works great. Dave

#50: Re: Case Trimmer Author: wncchester PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:27 pm
    ----
The Lyman Universal and Wilson trimmers both index off the head of the case as it's held against a solid stop so both trim to consistant lengths.

I think case length consistancy to a gnat's azz is largely irrelivant. Trim all your cases to a thousant or less, load and shoot them. Then measure them again, your precision lengths will have some signifiant variation but the targets won't show it. Sad

#51: Re: Case Trimmer Author: GUTSLocation: South Dakota PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:08 am
    ----
I use the Redding micrometer trim(lathe) tool. I think it works fantastic. It's very easy to use and you don't need different collets because the stepped collet it comes with holds all the cases. I have found it to trim to very exacting specs, measured with my dial calipers. It takes me less than ten seconds to trim a case with this tool. The only thing I thought was bad was the price, I think it is a little spendy.

-> Reloading Ammunition