Copper Solvents Worth It ??
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> General

#1: Copper Solvents Worth It ?? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:43 pm
    ----
What is your take on copper solvents ?? Confused

I've never used one as far as I know. I've only ever used the plain old Hoppes No. 9 and thats a powder solvent. So I'm interested since there is disscusion on copper solvents. Smile

Now how bad would copper solvent eat up my copper brush ?? Confused And also if you run a patch over full with No. 9, run a brush through 10 times and then use 2-3 patchs to pick up the flowing and solvent do you think a copper solvent is nessisary ?? Confused

Just wondering. Cool

Dimitri

#2: Re: Copper Solvents Worth It ?? Author: BlaineLocation: Maine PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:10 pm
    ----
Dimitri wrote:
What is your take on copper solvents ?? Confused

I've never used one as far as I know. I've only ever used the plain old Hoppes No. 9 and thats a powder solvent. So I'm interested since there is disscusion on copper solvents. Smile

Now how bad would copper solvent eat up my copper brush ?? Confused And also if you run a patch over full with No. 9, run a brush through 10 times and then use 2-3 patchs to pick up the flowing and solvent do you think a copper solvent is nessisary ?? Confused

Just wondering. Cool

Dimitri

In a word....YES. The copper that stays in the grooves with a "powder solvent" only cleaning is an accuracy robber. See this thread about my recommendation for a copper solvent that is completely safe for all barrels. It was developed for the military's BIG guns. It works....period.
www.huntingnut.com/ind...amp;t=1642

Blaine

#3: Re: Copper Solvents Worth It ?? Author: Jack PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:33 pm
    ----
A copper solvent will eat your copper brush, if you don't rinse the brush off after you use it.
As to whether you'll find copper in your bore if you try a copper solvent after using Hoppe's #9...yes, you'll get quite a bit of copper out of your bore, if you've shot it much.
I think you may be in for a shock at how much copper will come out of your bore.

#4: Re: Copper Solvents Worth It ?? Author: sniperLocation: Utah PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:56 am
    ----
Definitely worth it. Hoppe's will get out powder and copper solvent, if you clean long enough. It ill also attack brass, if not rinsed off.

My question is: do nylon brushes work all that well?

I'm going to have to try the Montana Extreme. It sounds good.

I admit it, I am lazy. I hate cleaning enough to get all the copper fouling out of my barrels It used to be: shoot, then clean for 3-4 days. Sad

I have been using WIPE OUT foaming bore cleaner with good results lately. I have used Barnes CR 10, Shooter's Choice, Sweet's, Butch's, and Accubore, and got some samples of HOPPE's Copper Eradicator. They all work but not as well as Wipe-Out.

I clean the bore to get rid of the powder fouling, dry patch a couple of times, then stick my pinkie in the chamber to keep the foam from getting all in the action, and spray. I let it sit 3 hours to overnight. The company says that will not harm the bore, then run a patch through the bore. It will be blue. I do a second treatment, letting the stuff sit 2-6 hours, and that ususally does it. They have recently come up with something called "accellerator", which is supposed to speed things up. But, that's two solutions to buy. I would imagine that the other foaming bore cleaners will work as well. There is one "natural" bore cleaner that is made of horse manure. Shocked I don't think I'll try that any time soon, thank you very much! Confused

#5: Re: Copper Solvents Worth It ?? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:16 am
    ----
sniper wrote:
There is one "natural" bore cleaner that is made of horse manure. Shocked I don't think I'll try that any time soon, thank you very much! Confused

G'Day sniper, how are you mate? Tell me more about this "natural" bore cleaner? I know that horse urine reeks of ammonia when you clean out the stall, but as for manure, hm, be a bit hard squeezing it down the bore. Very Happy Very Happy Hey Bushy, you are a horseman, have you heard of this one mate? Maybe you could put a "new" product on the market....Cutter Bore Solvent. Laughing Laughing

Cheers, Vince

#6: Re: Copper Solvents Worth It ?? Author: shootistLocation: Lackawaxen,PA PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:05 am
    ----
Hi Dimitri....the value of using copper solvents is for the indicator of copper presence,since the patch turns a vivid blue/green in the presence of traces of copper fouling. If you swab with copper solvent and let sit for a few minutes,then put a clean dry patch through the bore,you'll know for sure if there's fouling. If no coloration then continue to clean with your normal technique.

SHOOTIST

#7: Re: Copper Solvents Worth It ?? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:37 am
    ----
Hoppe's "Benchrest" #9 is a copper solvent. I have been using it for around 15 years. When I first started using it it took me about 6 months to get all the years of copper out of my barrels. Now a few passes with a phosphorus bronze brush, a patch or three, then a patch saturated in Hoppe's #9 gun oil and done. Yes. In time it will weaken the brush, but they ARE cheap. Nylon brush? Waste of time except in a shotgun bore.

Look Vince!! I may have to shovel that stuff, but I'll be damned if I will stuff that sh++ down my barrels....Sounds like a business that would go down the "tube" in a hurry...

#8: Re: Copper Solvents Worth It ?? Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:13 am
    ----
YES! I use Sweets, its a great product and gets all the copper out of the bore in short order. Very Happy

#9: Re: Copper Solvents Worth It ?? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:25 am
    ----
So many things to learn and try and so little time Sad

Dimitri

#10: Re: Copper Solvents Worth It ?? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:41 am
    ----
Aaah. dimitri...You have plenty of time. Believe me...

#11: Re: Copper Solvents Worth It ?? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:15 am
    ----
Well cant argue with experiance Smile

I'm going to have to get some copper solvent but I'm scared of cleaning for the next year Shocked

Dimitri

#12: Re: Copper Solvents Worth It ?? Author: roklokLocation: Fairbanks, Alaska PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:50 pm
    ----
Anybody else out there use Outers foul out system?

#13: Re: Copper Solvents Worth It ?? Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:22 am
    ----
shootist wrote:
Hi Dimitri....the value of using copper solvents is for the indicator of copper presence,since the patch turns a vivid blue/green in the presence of traces of copper fouling. . . . .
SHOOTIST

Maybe . . . IMO, the mere presence of copper doesn't confirm fouling. A certain amount of copper is desireable, which is why new barrels/rifles often are broken in with a shoot and clean process. This allows the copper plasma created by the pressure and heat against the base of the bullet to begin a gradual coating of the bore and, in the process, filling the open pores of a new barrel. While it is important to get excess copper out of the rifle (determined by the point of accuracy deterioration), getting every trace of copper out is counterproductive. And unnecessary.

#14: Re: Copper Solvents Worth It ?? Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:44 am
    ----
roklok
I have an older version of the outers Foul Out. works well if you have the time. Mine is used mostly to get the lead out of some of my revolvers.

#15: Re: Copper Solvents Worth It ?? Author: sniperLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:48 am
    ----
Vince wrote:

G'Day sniper, how are you mate? Tell me more about this "natural" bore cleaner? ...but as for manure, hm, be a bit hard squeezing it down the bore. Very Happy Very Happy Cheers, Vince

Hey, Vince! I'm doing unbelievably well. And you?

It'd have to be a BIIIIG bore! Laughing Actually, I think they take the lumps out. Razz What the literature said was that somebody noticed that nails in horse barn floors didn't rust--they were nice and "clean".

Somebody isolated the ingredient (s) that preserved the metal, and voila! Ze NEW gun cleaner and rust remover was discovered. I wonder if it will open drains, too? Very Happy
Nevertheless, I get this image of being followed by horseflies at the range. Confused No, thank you.

Be well

-> General