Where to aim?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  :| |:
-> Big Game Hunting

#76: Re: Where to aim? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:49 pm
    ----
Gelan The Impotent wrote:

1. Where is considered the right aiming area for a four legged animal if they have their buttock facing you square on?

2. Where to aim if they are squarely facing you with their head on the way?

3. Is it true that ultra slow caliber like the .300 whisper would kill better than a fast 308 win? If it is, could I load my 308 to be ultra slow as well? would it bother the accuracy? or would it be dangeorous (due to the large empty space in the cartridge shell)?

4. why does the sun rises from the East?

Thank you in advance.

Gelan.

Where is the best area to aim? Well I start off by aiming in the general direction of the critter I wanna shoot. Very Happy Very Happy

1. A Texas Heart Shot is not nice...not nice at all. I have always been taught that that particular area is for EXIT...not ENTRY !! Seriously though, if you are close enough, and if your rifle and load...and YOU...are good enough, then tap the critter in the back of the head at about 3500 fps. Apart from that, wait for a better more humane shot.

2. Centre of the seen mass mate. I would hit it at the base of the neck where the neck joins the chest.

3. Can't won't comment...don't own either.

4. The Sun does not rise from the East....it is first noticeable when I throw the covers back and roll over in bed, then as I get up, so does the Sun. Laughing

Cheers, Vince

#77: Re: Where to aim? Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:13 am
    ----
Did you not meant Gelan The Omnipotent?

I sort of worry when people mention potency..
I meant, I am sure you are not questioning the straightness of my rifle barrel? Laughing

#78: Re: Where to aim? Author: phill21Location: Western Australia PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:08 pm
    ----
Gelan old son i think he was refering to the loosness of your barrel Very Happy

I gotta agree with vince the sun is never up until i am Bonk

this has been a very interresting post as i was always taught to shoot behind the point of the front shoulder when the leg is in its forward position havent lost any animals to this yet. If they run off i just start the stalk again i think for me its the stalk more than shooting the animal?????? Sniper

#79: Re: Where to aim? Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:32 pm
    ----
phill21 wrote:
. If they run off i just start the stalk again i think for me its the stalk more than shooting the animal?????? Sniper

My sentiment exactly.. most of my shots are close up shots..
I like to stalk as close as possible before I shoot, that leave a lot less chance of wounding.
I love to stalk up a goat herd and scream at them.. Yeah Very Happy (and vince is worried about that too.. Very Happy

Philly - lets not talk about my barrel Laughing it made me feel a bit nervous and unsure.
I don't want to try it here where it doesn't belong Very Happy

#80: Re: Where to aim? Author: phill21Location: Western Australia PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:36 pm
    ----
gelandangan probably a very wise choice my friend Very Happy ROFL

phil

#81: Re: Where to aim? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:02 pm
    ----
But Gelan....hasn't your barrel got a blockage?? No wait up....you cleared that didn't you. Very Happy Laughing

Its very interesting to read where everyone feels the best aimpoint on an animal is. I've heard and read of just about every conceivable point on a critter from the head down to behind the shoulder.

I think that a well placed shot at any point between the head and just behind the shoulder should....SHOULD...do the job. One of the guys (Foreign I think) said that if you leave the heart alone then you will have it pumping out a nice blood trail that is easy to follow...well I reckon it behoves us as good hunters to be better than that. We should be "aiming" to do the humane thing and that is one shot...one instant kill.

Cheers, Vince

#82: Re: Where to aim? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:50 am
    ----
I must be able to get the heart and at least one lung or I will pass unless I'm close enough for a good head shot...

Try this. This works for rifle and bow hunters too...

www.rubsnscrapes.com

Click on "Shot placement and anatomy of a White Tail deer"

#83: Re: Where to aim? Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:04 am
    ----
I always figured that you wanted to bust the heart or the vessels leading to/from it to help prevent adrenaline from being pumped through the body, possibly affecting the flavor and tenderness of the meat. What are the opinions on this?

#84: Re: Where to aim? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:10 am
    ----
Agreed...Hence my preference for heart/lung shot...

#85: Re: Where to aim? Author: whittlingLocation: Texas (home state is Mass) PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:27 am
    ----
Heart / Lung . Neck is best , but to easy to miss

#86: Re: Where to aim? Author: MagnumManiac PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:06 am
    ----
DallanC wrote:
I immediately cancelled a magazine subscription where they advocated the "Texas heart shot" as a good shot when the animal is facing directly away.

-DallanC
I will always take the 'texas heart shot' over any other shot on a running deer. Period.
If my 375 Weatherby can't get the bullet into the vitals from the rear, then something is majorly wrong!
Cheers.
MagnumManiac.
Laughing

#87: Re: Where to aim? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:07 am
    ----
Hi Magnummaniac...Welcome to this fine site, where we discuss in a most friendly, way our views (well most of the time anyway)...Get a beer and grab a stump...Join right in...

With that said...I will never take a "texas heart shot"...I've seen what it does to deer by other hunters that have made this shot. I really do not want to field dress a rear gut shot or gut shot deer. Not to mention what it does to the meat. I will pass on any deer that is going directly away from me. Quartering away? Not a problem...

#88: Re: Where to aim? Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:00 am
    ----
The only shots to take on a deer with it back to me are head and neck. I hunt for food and I rarely eat sh!t.
(yes sometimes I say things from memory and then find out how good my memory is - then I eat it)

#89: Re: Where to aim? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:34 am
    ----
Don't we all, Paul... Embarassed

#90: Re: Where to aim? Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:53 pm
    ----
Bushy, I have too much trouble keeping track of my mistakes - I don't worry about the rest of you..... Embarassed
I figure if we all do that the world will eventually improve.

-> Big Game Hunting