Where to aim?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  :| |:
-> Big Game Hunting

#16: Re: Where to aim? Author: Deleted_User_2665 PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:39 pm
    ----
I never suffered tough meat shootin' critters in the lungs...my prefered point of aim....

Never lost a lung shot critter ........

A good blood trail is LOTS of blood and that comes from a good bullet put where it counts via a healthy dose of FPS.....

Trackin' an animal over 50 yards with the proper shot placement/animal stance/caliber choice/bullet construction/feasable range......is unheard of 'round here.

Seen my share of bang flops too by knockin' out hearts and lungs.........

#17: Re: Where to aim? Author: Flint54Location: North Carolina PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:50 pm
    ----
Cool This may not be a very technical but when I went on my very first deer hunting trip my Father told me to envision a basketball in the very front of the deer's chest cavity. If you aim for the center of the basketball you will hit lungs, heart, major arteries etc.. I have used his advice since that hunt in 1970, it has never failed me and I have taught this to many new hunters. The only thing I may add is that if you are going after a small whitetail or a blacktail you may want to use a soccer ball as a reference. Give it a try, it works! Cool

#18: Re: Where to aim? Author: Deleted_User_2665 PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:51 pm
    ----
Just re-read that post.........What the hell is the "gutless method of collecting meat"...!?!?

I hope the whole deer carcass is going home with ya.....but my visual of the scenario is less than promising........

There's some very tasty inner loins that can't be got unless you are field dressing the animal........

This whole thing stinks like a uninformed anti huntin' trouble maker.....................

Am thinkin' my perception is not askew here.........

#19: Re: Where to aim? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:24 pm
    ----
wildswalker wrote:
Just re-read that post.........What the hell is the "gutless method of collecting meat"...!?!?

I hope the whole deer carcass is going home with ya.....but my visual of the scenario is less than promising........

There's some very tasty inner loins that can't be got unless you are field dressing the animal........

This whole thing stinks like a uninformed anti huntin' trouble maker.....................

Am thinkin' my perception is not askew here.........

G'Day wildswalker. ha ha Laughing Laughing . Follow this link to the Gutless Field Dressing Method:

Gutless Field Dressing Method

The article can be found in the "Articles-Topics" section of HuntingNut.

Cheers, Vince

#20: Re: Where to aim? Author: Deleted_User_2665 PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:07 pm
    ----
Allrighty then.......I think I heard something about that a while back but passed it off as kinda silly for my own practicality......

I could see it when in need of cooling the meat, in hot weather and the truck is less than an easy walk away....

We do a hairless skin after field dressing and the whole carcass is left to cool and age for a day or two hangin' in the barn.....

Hot weather ain't a problem here in November.......Keepin' 'em from freezing solid..........now that's our problem.

#21: Re: Where to aim? Author: george20042007Location: Arizona PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:43 pm
    ----
Well there you have it. Seems like we all agree on shot placement.
Keep it coming...

#22: Re: Where to aim? Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:05 pm
    ----
I don't understand. I admit that I do not have any mentor (father, friend, teacher, uncle or grandpa) that tought me what to shoot and how to shoot. Everything I know cames from a book or magazine. And they do not tell you what to aim for (well not very clearly anyhow).
It seems that there are a lot of you that think I made this up. That is fine.

But, let me ask you this.
If where you grow up, firearms are NOT allowed (no legal firearms except for the police or military), how are you supposed to learn? I grow up in Indonesia which do not allow private ownership of firearms. I migrated to Australia when I was 30 yr. I get some caurage to apply for my gun license and trying to hunt about 7 years ago while I camp in a friend's farm.

I know my knowledge is not up to Sh*t compared to what most of you have. BUt I WANT to learn. Thus I asked. If that is unbelieveale, then it is catch 22 for me here. I cannot ask because I do not have enough knowledge?! Strewth!! If I got knowledge, I wouldn't ask would I?

#23: Re: Where to aim? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:21 pm
    ----
gelandangan,

Ask as many questions as you need Smile

Tell me are their any good magazines for hunting you can pick up in Australia ?? Confused If so they will help you alot to learn more and quite possibly give you more questions to ask here Wink

Dimitri

#24: Re: Where to aim? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:26 pm
    ----
gelandangan wrote:
I don't understand. I admit that I do not have any mentor (father, friend, teacher, uncle or grandpa) that tought me what to shoot and how to shoot. Everything I know cames from a book or magazine. And they do not tell you what to aim for (well not very clearly anyhow).
It seems that there are a lot of you that think I made this up. That is fine.

But, let me ask you this.
If where you grow up, firearms are NOT allowed (no legal firearms except for the police or military), how are you supposed to learn? I grow up in Indonesia which do not allow private ownership of firearms. I migrated to Australia when I was 30 yr. I get some caurage to apply for my gun license and trying to hunt about 7 years ago while I camp in a friend's farm.

I know my knowledge is not up to Sh*t compared to what most of you have. BUt I WANT to learn. Thus I asked. If that is unbelieveale, then it is catch 22 for me here. I cannot ask because I do not have enough knowledge?! Strewth!! If I got knowledge, I wouldn't ask would I?

G'Day gelandangan,

Mate, the guys on the forums aren't putting you down, however I understand where you are coming from.

I live in Brisbane and know the problems you face. Have you considered joining the SSAA in your area? Have a look at this link for them:

Sporting Shooters Associat Australia

There is a hunting section in the link and they will look after you.

In the meantime, check HuntingNut regularly and take in everything you read. The info here is good and the members are awesome and happy to assist, even if they like poking a little fun occasionally. Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers, Vince

#25: Re: Where to aim? Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:03 pm
    ----
Thanks Dimitri, Vince and all the other members. Very Happy

No offense were taken with any of the comments, just bewilderment. Shocked
I have been lurking in the forum a few days now and I can see that there are a lot of informations floating about. A fellow can learn a lot here.

Vince, I am a member of SSAA. However, I get my license under "hunting and rec shooting" as genuine reason. It is silly, because of the reason supplied, I am not allowed to shoot in the range Sad . Mad
Imagine, I am allowed to roam free in a farm, shooting at live animals without any supervision, Yet not allowed to shoot in a range under supervision and strict rule!! Mad

Gelan

#26: Re: Where to aim? Author: Deleted_User_2665 PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:26 pm
    ----
Dont worry about it Gelan......some of us frequent a lot of hunting/shooting sites and your initial range of questions put us in the "beware of troll" mode......

Sometimes Anti-hunters/gunners show up just to stir the pot and make everyone mad.

I'm new here too.......but I knew how things might go.

Ask away as most, if not all, will gladly help ya out.......I don't know much about Down Under so maybe ya can teach me sumthin'..........<grin>

#27: Re: Where to aim? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:36 pm
    ----
gelandangan,

Sorry to hear about your problem Sad

Maybe get a few 2 by 4's and make your own target to shoot at the farms/crown land (assuming you call goverment there the same way we do here) that you hunt and practice ?? Confused

Dimitri

#28: Re: Where to aim? Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:46 pm
    ----
gelandangan wrote:
No offense were taken with any of the comments, just bewilderment. Shocked
I have been lurking in the forum a few days now and I can see that there are a lot of informations floating about. A fellow can learn a lot here.

We truely do want you to feel comfortable here and to ask as many questions as you need to feel good about where to aim etc etc. I think its great to have these kinds of questions because some of us have been doing it so long its good to stop and think things over from a different perspective.

Different critters have slightly different anatomy but generally, they are layed out about the same. The heart between the lungs, located low between the front legs in the front part of the animal. Here is a useful image I found once:

A couple of things to note about it. Notice where the heart is (the bright red blob under the circulation system heading). Also notice the lung area. Finally study how that front shoulder system works... its a bit backwards as to how people think it might work.

Different hunters like different points of impact. I like the double lung shot with as much of the heart as I can take out. Animals hit this way do not go very far.

Here is another topdown view that I really like, OutDoorLife ran this originally 8 years ago or so:

[img]http://www.houstonsafariclub.org/Bear%20&%20Deer%20Aiming%20Points_files/image003.jpg[/img]

Here is another interesting web link designed for archery hunting but the theory still applys. Its a good interactive practive.

www.bowsite.com/BOWSIT...RGEOMETRY/

-DallanC

#29: Re: Where to aim? Author: Deleted_User_2665 PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:35 pm
    ----
Dallan, excellent info for the learning............

Your right........I don't even think anymore on WHERE to hit 'em.......and I'm finding little concern over what range they at.......

Been at this for a while........<grin>

#30: Re: Where to aim? Author: george20042007Location: Arizona PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:09 am
    ----
Just aim for the shoulder like I said before, it's not that hard to do and they drop where they stand.
Keep it coming...

-> Big Game Hunting