Gun cleaning
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#46: Re: Gun cleaning Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:24 pm
    ----
wildswalker wrote:
Three uses I have for WD.....
3. pain reliever...re: smashed digits via misplaced hammers, car doors ect.

Not a good idea, cause it contains petroleum distilate which is harmful to your health. I have heard of other people sprying themselves with WD-40. Not meant for the human body to absorb............

Last edited by 1895ss on Mon May 08, 2006 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

#47: Re: Gun cleaning Author: Deleted_User_2665 PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:26 pm
    ----
Figured that would raise an eyebrow or two........

You see I'm from back in the sticks where we make do with what ya got....

A long while back I saw a little Amish boy get his whole hand mashed in the tailgate of a truck........little guy didn't know what he was doing, not being familiar with the painful mis-use of some vehicle parts........actually he just had his hand in the wrong place when my pard slammed the gate.....

The boy wailed and hollered as if ya just cut his hand off.....it hurt me just being there. His hand was mashed good.

His Mamma went in their house and got a cup full of WD-40 and stuck the boys hand right in it. Wasn't but half a minute and the boy settled right down and seemed fine other than having a badly cut hand......His Pa explained they had used it for years to relieve pain around the farm. I've since used it myself for such purposes and it works.......

Now, I'm no doctor and if yer gonna try it, it's at your own risk. But it is only basically a petroleum product of sorts and it does relieve pain. I've even rubbed it into sore muscles and such. You smell like a car but the pain goes away........

#48: Re: Gun cleaning Author: Deleted_User_2665 PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:33 pm
    ----
"Not a good idea, cause it contains petroleum distilate whitch is harmful to your health. I have heard of other people sprying themselves with WD-40. Not meant for the human body to absorb............"

Not gonna argue much on this point....but isn't Vasaline a petroleum product absorbed into the human body for medicinal purposes......

One more point......I've been around a car mechanic or three over the years, been known to turn a few wrenches myself.......grease monkeys got oily hands.....NEVER known one to get infections from cuts or pokes.........

#49: Re: Gun cleaning Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:48 pm
    ----
I'm not going to argue the fact either, as the saying goes "to each their own".

#50: Re: Gun cleaning Author: jezzicaz789 PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:35 am
    ----
longwalker wrote:
I have experimented with just about everything to clean guns, and still have not found a good subsitute to stripping them down and using conventional cleaners.

My pistols which get used much more than my rifles see 8 - 9 thousand of rounds every year. I tried the aerosol cleaners and found I just used up more cleaner more often. In the end all I did was move the dirt from one place to an other.

For over a year now I have used Simple Green cleaner. I came to this by an other shooter who recomended I try it. Cleaning chemical cost went way down. My fingers don't dry out and the house doesn't smell like a brake shop. By using the simple green on all parts including the barrel I get all the powder residue and old lubricant off all the parts. The barrel will need copper or lead cleaning solution but not as much as before.

Before assembly I touch all the the small parts with gun oil and lightly grease the slides and frames. Then reassemble.

I have not experimented with long term soaking. or long term exposure to simple green. Just use it and wipe it clean.

longwalker

Thank you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

#51: Re: Gun cleaning Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:27 am
    ----
This is a good tip. I will try it this weekend. I also have started using the Break Free CLP. CLP stands for cleans, lubricates, and protects. It seems to be a good cleaner that provides a good layer of protection on metal surfaces. I really like using it on my AR.

#52: Re: Gun cleaning Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:53 am
    ----
Holy jumpin' geehosafats...!! This thread started in April of 2006.

Sense then I have experimented with several ideas, new and old. It seems at present that I have settled on this method of cleaning and preserving my firearms.

1...Run a clean patch to remove the loose crud from the barrel. Wipe the gun with a dry rag to remove all external loose crud.
2...Run a bronze brush saturated with Hoppe's #9 Copper solvent through the barrel and let set for a time. Usually 10 minutes or so.
3...Run clean patches through the barrel until they come out clean.
4...Run a bronze brush saturated with Hoppe's #9 Copper solvent through the barrel and let set for a time. Usually 10 minutes or so.
5...Run clean patches through the barrel until they come out clean.
6...Run a patch saturated with ATF followed by a dry patch.
7...Lubricate with ATF exposed moving parts and grease slides and bolts with a thin coat of Artillary grease.
8...Wipe the gun down with a gun (old T-shirt) rag lightly saturated with ATF.

If I deem it necessary to do a complete cleaning I will completely disassemble the firearm and use a good solvent with lanolin. Lube with ATF and Artillary grease as needed.

#53: Re: Gun cleaning Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:37 pm
    ----
Yup !!! Seems as if a lot of old stuff has been dug up lately !!!

I've been using a liquid orange cleaner on the handguns for a while now.
Works great without the smell. The barrels still get the smelly stuff though.
After I'm done cleaning all the parts I rinse them with hot water, dry them and then give everything a good spray down with Tri-Flow.
I re-assemble using Break-Free in the critical areas.

#54: Re: Gun cleaning Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:39 pm
    ----
I use a 50/50 mix of kerosine and Dexron ATF to clean and lube all my guns. Cheap and very effective cleaner and lube that penetrates and leaves only a thin film. I do use Hoppes #9 to clean the bore but I always run a patch of the lube after cleaning and then dry patches.

#55: Re: Gun cleaning Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:40 pm
    ----
I am cleaning a bit different as well since '06. I use boresnakes a lot more now than before. For normal cleaning they do a nice job. For lube I still use Eezox.

#56: Re: Gun cleaning Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:41 pm
    ----
For the external parts of my rifles...not moving bits...if wet, I dry thoroughly, even use a little of Bushy least favourite spray (water displacer) if caught in the rain and it's necessary, then I wipe down with a Kleenbore Silicone Cloth.

On all moving parts I am now using TriFlow. My future son-in-law is a bicycle mechanic and he put me onto this stuff. If it is good enough to lube off-road bicycle chains and keep them in good condition, then I reckon it is OK to lube a rifle bolt. He uses it on his road bikes and he was doing a minimum of 50km a day and his chains lasted extremely well.

For cleaning the barrel after shooting I:

1. run a Boresnake, then a clean patch to remove particles, crud etc
2. run a clean patch liberally coated with SWEETS barrel cleaner...leave for a minute or so
3. run clean patches until nothing more is showing on them
4. run a clean patch lightly oiled with TriFlow to protect the barrel
5. Lock the rifle away in a humidity controlled (Dessicant) gun cabinet
6. Revisit the rifle the next day and redo steps 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Never had a problem with rust in 30 years and my barrels have always been clean. I am interested though in the use of ATF as I see a couple of you guys use it. I used to make bullet lube for my cast bullets using a mix of ATF and beeswax with great success...never had a leading problem...that I could see.

Cheers, Vince

#57: Re: Gun cleaning Author: longwalkerLocation: Bethel, AK PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:08 pm
    ----
I still use simple green for all the above mentioned reasons. I am somewhat more careful now regarding the amount of lubricant I use. The colder it gets the more things seem to get hung up. Especially the Ruger Mark II pistol.

Suggestions on "real" cold weather lubricants would be helpful.

longwalker

#58: Re: Gun cleaning Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:05 am
    ----
I use Break Free CLP on my pistols and have had no issue shooting in 20 degree weather !!!

I tried finding the data but couldn't.........If memory serves me correctly this stuff will work to something like -50 or 60 !!!

#59: Re: Gun cleaning Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:39 am
    ----
Yep....Break Free was chosen by the military for that reason...well it was one of the reasons...it's ability to withstand extremes of temperature.

www.imsplus.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=30220 wrote:
BREAK-FREE CLP GUN CLEANER Current GI issue wonder cleaner -- it does it all! cleans, lubricates, and protects all in one application. Break-Free CLP Performance Gun Care Products meet the U.S. Military specifications for use on weapons and weapon systems. The U.S. Military, NATO, and over 30 militaries around the world choose to use this all-in-one cleaner, lubricant, and preservative to keep their weapons combat ready and dependable in battle under any conditions. Break-Free CLP passes over 14 U.S. Army and NATO performance tests that include baking to 150 degrees Fahrenheit and freezing to minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit, sea-water immersion tests, and intensive, extended firing tests. NEW.

Cheers, Vince

#60: Re: Gun cleaning Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:34 am
    ----
I use Break Free on the .45 and the AR. Have not had any issues

Joe

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions