Gun cleaning
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Gun cleaning Author: longwalkerLocation: Bethel, AK PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:40 am
    ----
I have experimented with just about everything to clean guns, and still have not found a good subsitute to stripping them down and using conventional cleaners.

My pistols which get used much more than my rifles see 8 - 9 thousand of rounds every year. I tried the aerosol cleaners and found I just used up more cleaner more often. In the end all I did was move the dirt from one place to an other.

For over a year now I have used Simple Green cleaner. I came to this by an other shooter who recomended I try it. Cleaning chemical cost went way down. My fingers don't dry out and the house doesn't smell like a brake shop. By using the simple green on all parts including the barrel I get all the powder residue and old lubricant off all the parts. The barrel will need copper or lead cleaning solution but not as much as before.

Before assembly I touch all the the small parts with gun oil and lightly grease the slides and frames. Then reassemble.

I have not experimented with long term soaking. or long term exposure to simple green. Just use it and wipe it clean.

longwalker

#2: Re: Gun cleaning Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:04 am
    ----
Longwalker...Did you ever tried any of the gun dips?

#3: Re: Gun cleaning Author: longwalkerLocation: Bethel, AK PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:01 pm
    ----
I don't know what a gun dip is?

longwalker

#4: Re: Gun cleaning Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:08 pm
    ----
Someone, and I can't find it, made a bucket of solvent that you removed the grips and dunked the whole gun, minus the grips, in it and the gun came out clean. Who the he++ made that stuff...Must be CRS or a brain fa++.

#5: Re: Gun cleaning Author: shootistLocation: Lackawaxen,PA PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:56 pm
    ----
Hi there Bushmaster...I think you are talking about " Bill Laughridge's Dunk-Kit "....10/4?

I use Mineral spirits/ Kroil/ Liquid Wrench/Dextron ATF/Marvel Mystery oil.

Shootist

#6: Re: Gun cleaning Author: shootistLocation: Lackawaxen,PA PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:59 pm
    ----
Hi there Bushmaster...I think you are talking about " Bill Laughridge's Dunk-Kit "....10/4?

I use Mineral spirits/ Kroil/ Liquid Wrench/Dextron ATF/Marvel Mystery oil.

Shootist

#7: Re: Gun cleaning Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:02 pm
    ----
Yup...That's one. There was onother one if memory serves me...

#8: Re: Gun cleaning Author: GroovyJackLocation: Bama PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:05 pm
    ----
There is another one , but I cant think of it either ..

Jack

#9: Re: Gun cleaning Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:39 pm
    ----
There is this artical about that if you'd like to read it Smile

www.findarticles.com/p...i_85472065

Bill Laughridge's Website showing the Dunk-It kits for pistols Smile

shop.cylinder-slide.co...=cat&ref=4

Dimitri

#10: Re: Gun cleaning Author: 515034s10ringLocation: Working my way back up and around PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:22 pm
    ----
One of my smith teachers came from C&S and swore by that stuff. Which it really does work but it takes all the fun out of cleaning and tinkering around with them Wink

#11: Re: Gun cleaning Author: Hutch PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:38 pm
    ----
I think the stuff you're thinking of is "Ed's Red"...

The formula is:

1 part Dexron II, IIe or III ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.
1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1
1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits, Fed. Spec. TT-T-2981F, CAS #64741-49-9,
or substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or equivalent, (aka "Varsol")
1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.
(Optional up to 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon,
OK to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)

The lanolin is not required if a separate lubricant/rust preventative is used. It's good stuff. I use it to "dunk" mil surp rifles all of the time.... Very Happy

#12: Re: Gun cleaning Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:59 pm
    ----
Howdy Hutch Welcome to the forums section of this site as you registered a while ago I see Very Happy

I posted Ed Reds in the Artical section in the complete form if anyone wants to see a week or so ago Wink

Dimitri

#13: Re: Gun cleaning Author: popgunLocation: Mitchell, GA, U.S.A. (2007 pop. 191) PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:26 am
    ----
The Acetone in Ed's Red will evaporate quickly from the solution. I recomend mixing up a batch of Ed's Red without the Acetone then mix a small batch with acetone that you can use up in a short time.
I have been using Ed's Red for several years now and found that it is a good every day cleaner. Not a copper remover but a great barrel crud removal solvent. I use Butch's Bore Shine for copper removal. I don't use ER for long term storage so the lanolyn is not required.
I have used Simple Green before but like the others I like the brake shop smell Very Happy

#14: Re: Gun cleaning Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:27 am
    ----
Interesting, but I still clean all my guns the "Old Fashioned Way" using Hoppe's 9 copper solvent and finish it up with Hoppe's 9 oil/Weatherguard. And the liberal use of brushes and patches (old "T" shirt cut to size). When I completely disassemble a firearm for extensive cleaning I use an automotive cleaning solvent/lanolin. Oil and re-assemble. This has served me very well over the last 50 years. I started using Hoppe's products at the very beginning and haven't looked back. The only change is the "Weatherguard"...

#15: Re: Gun cleaning Author: george20042007Location: Arizona PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:47 am
    ----
I use a number of different gun cleaning solvents that are readily available but was impressed with kroil like shootist mentions.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions