Odd (to me) & humbling experience.
-> General

#1: Odd (to me) & humbling experience. Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:07 pm
    ----
I'm currently in the US & just back from a road trip from Albuquerque to the far north east of Alabama & back, via New Orleans, where I visited the WW2 Museum on Monday.
When I came to buy the entry ticket, the lady behind the counter asked if I was former military & I answered "yes but a long time ago & in the wrong air force" (I'm ex RAF), more as a humerous comment than anything else.
She then said "excuse me a moment" & had a short conversation with someone, presumably her supervisor, before coming back & saying I & my companion were eligible for free entry on Veterans' Day & thanked me for my service.

I guess the bond between the UK & the US is, at least on the level of ordinary citizens, still far stronger than the divisive "liberals" on both sides of the Pond would have us believe.

It's something I'll not forget.

#2: Re: Odd (to me) & humbling experience. Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:10 am
    ----
plurry good to hear that....its made my day Mate.

#3: Re: Odd (to me) & humbling experience. Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:08 pm
    ----
Yes, I experienced similar when visiting the US last year mate. It seems that respect for military service is alive and well between the allied countries.

#4: Re: Odd (to me) & humbling experience. Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:29 pm
    ----
That is reassuring to hear. I am glad that you were recognized for your service!

-> General