I finally finished my new toy!
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#1: I finally finished my new toy! Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:45 pm
    ----
I built a single motor powered case annealer. It uses an o-ring (rubber) as a belt between the motor pulley and the drum and feed spool. It anneals 100 cases in 11 minutes. I annealed 400 3006 cases, 350 257 Roberts and I have another 200 3006, and about 500 308/358 cases to go. It cost me just under $10 to build but I machined my pulleys. The only parts I spent money on was the AC synchronous motor - $3.00, the 2x2 light angle iron, and a $0.79 light switch. All the rest was from the scrap bin.

The motor is like this:
It turns at 12 RPM and it is about half the size of the picture. I wasn't sure it would do the job... but it does!

#2: Re: I finally finished my new toy! Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:29 pm
    ----
OK...how much to build me one and ship it to Billings?

J/k. Looking forward to more pic

#3: Re: I finally finished my new toy! Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:37 pm
    ----
Great work Paul...as HJ said mate...more pics...I’d love to see your setup.

#4: Re: I finally finished my new toy! Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:18 pm
    ----
From the front it looks just like almost every $250 home made annealer. The big difference is that mine doesn't use a power supply, two DC motors and two speed controllers. I also don't have a digital readout for the speed because I don't need to control the speed. That is controlled by the 60 hertz power coming out of the wall.

I'll see if I can get some pictures to post. Smile

#5: Re: I finally finished my new toy! Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:34 pm
    ----
PaulS wrote:
From the front it looks just like almost every $250 home made annealer.

Yep more picture required. No real evidence presented at this time.

#6: Re: I finally finished my new toy! Author: pete4dLocation: Dixie , Alabama , & Louisiana PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:59 am
    ----
Paul , would like to see your's

Made mine similar to this;

Annealer

youtu.be/nvuHR7b_Nks

#7: Re: I finally finished my new toy! Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:01 pm
    ----
Well I finally got some pictures so I thought I should share them:
I am going to have to resize the pics. The forum says max size is 768??
back later

#8: Re: I finally finished my new toy! Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:35 pm
    ----
Well, I'll try it again:

#9: Re: I finally finished my new toy! Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:06 am
    ----
The first picture shows a cartridge in the heating drum rotating in the flame. The pick-up spool is collecting another piece of brass.
If you look closely at the bottom of the wood frame just below the torch support the motor pulley is visible. The bolt just left of the switch is the pivot for the motor adjustment arm. The only o-ring I had was larger than optimum but it works.

The second picture shows a cartridge dropping out of the drum with the next one waing to drop in.

The third picture was supposed to show the annealed brass but it doesn't show it off very well. If you look close you can see discoloration but not the color.

The pictures were taken with just the shop lights. No need for a flash as I designed the ceiling lights to be bright enough that I could walk into the shop on a bright sunny day and not have to wait for my eyes to adjust. You can't get a tan but if you were sensitive to UV you would have a reaction. There are 22 two tube four foot fluorescent fixtures in the 22 x 28 foot building.

#10: Re: I finally finished my new toy! Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:40 am
    ----
Paul,
You sure your names not Heath Robinson?
Also now add another project to my list.
Cheers

#11: Re: I finally finished my new toy! Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:10 am
    ----
That looks damn fine Paul...you done good mate. Those cases look like they are annealed perfectly mate.

#12: Re: I finally finished my new toy! Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:48 pm
    ----
Thanks guys. The temp of the necks reaches750F but not 800F.

#13: Re: I finally finished my new toy! Author: pete4dLocation: Dixie , Alabama , & Louisiana PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:10 am
    ----
Paul , I like it , looks to be doing a good job ,
.. you tried any rimed cases yet ?
..... I've had to adjust my hopper out for the rim thickness and for some of the smaller cases ( 5.7x28mm) I add a small piece of foam weather stripping to the pickup drum

#14: Re: I finally finished my new toy! Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:21 pm
    ----
Pete,I have run over 600 3006 cases, 300 308/358 cases, 300 257 Roberts cases, 50 223/556 cases but I haven't run any rimmed cases yet. I do have some 303 and 30-30 cases I could try but I just haven't gotten there yet.
I don't think the rimmed cases will stack as well so I may have to run reduced numbers at a time. Twenty layers of 3006 are sloping but not enough to slide out of the rack yet. Maybe I should have tilted the frame back 30 degrees instead of 15. I think it will serve me well even if I have to stand there and feed it ten or fifteen rounds at a time.

#15: Re: I finally finished my new toy! Author: pete4dLocation: Dixie , Alabama , & Louisiana PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:03 pm
    ----
Paul , I did tilt mine back some , it helped, used adjustable screw-tips for a table legs

I've run 303-British but haven't tried the 45-70 or the 30-30 cases yet . Just don't shot them as much.

For the 223 , 5.7x28 and some of the larger calibers I may only put 25 to 50 at a time in the bin . Only takes a few seconds to add more

The 303 I've used the anneal-er a couple times on the same cases and I'm on my 8th or 9th reload with them just neck sizing. Normally I'd start seeing a split neck on a few after the 4th or 5th reload. Of-course I've gotten away from the Remington cases ,because of the separation at the base . I've gone to using the Prvi Partizan Brass 303 British from www.grafs.com/

-> Reloading Ammunition