Pellet Rifles
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#31: Re: Pellet Rifles Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:55 pm
    ----
13.125gr(that's grains, not grammes...) pellet at 637fps MV.

Non metric calculation

637x637x13.125รท450,240=11.82ft/lbs energy.

450,240 is twice gravitational acceleration in fps multiplied by the number of grains in a pound.
Don't ask me why it's used but it produces the result needed.

#32: Re: Pellet Rifles Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:34 pm
    ----
2 x 32.17 x 7000 = 450380 (if you round the numbers differently you get slight variations in the value - the difference is very small.

You want foot pounds so you need to convert from grains to pounds (7000)
You have to divide by g (32.17) to convert from feet per second to the foot pound desired
the 2 is needed to get the correct energy value when working with non-relativistic speeds.

Energy = Mass x Velocity x Velocity / 2

At relativistic speeds it can be E= Mass x velocity x velocity as in E=MC^2 (No division by 2)

#33: Re: Pellet Rifles Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:22 am
    ----
Aloysius wrote:
SJ, a rubber band (a piece of innertube) with little holes that hold pellets can shorten your reloading time. You can put this band on your left wrist or on the stock of your rifle.

Aloys, like this?

#34: Re: Pellet Rifles Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:36 am
    ----
Did you already try it out? Next time punch your holes instead of cutting them with a knife as you did now (I think). Small things can make life easy Smile

#35: Re: Pellet Rifles Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:35 pm
    ----
I think I've found the answer to the night time rat problem... Very Happy

#36: Re: Pellet Rifles Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:38 pm
    ----
And no, my bench isn't usually in that much of a mess. Been clearing other things up & used it as somewhere convenient to use as a sorting table. Razz

#37: Re: Pellet Rifles Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:41 pm
    ----
English Mike wrote:
And no, my bench isn't usually in that much of a mess.

The thought never crossed my mind. Really. That night scope captures your focus.

#38: Re: Pellet Rifles Author: Deer Sniper PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:48 pm
    ----
slimjim wrote:
English Mike wrote:
And no, my bench isn't usually in that much of a mess.

The thought never crossed my mind. Really. That night scope captures your focus.

Ain't that the truth!

#39: Re: Pellet Rifles Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:05 pm
    ----
Aloysius wrote:
Next time punch your holes instead of cutting them with a knife as you did now (I think). Small things can make life easy

Aloys, you may be right but the punch I have is too big for a .177 pellet. I'll live with this for now. Thanks.

#40: Re: Pellet Rifles Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:50 am
    ----
SJ, a hot nail or needle could also do the trick...
and I think you used a tube of a bicycle, I always use a piece of a cartube, 1 layer is a little ticker then. (maybe you only have tubeless wheels?

#41: Re: Pellet Rifles Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:27 am
    ----
English Mike wrote:
I think I've found the answer to the night time rat problem... Very Happy

I've watched quite a few night-time rat shoots from people over in europe. ITs oddly satisfying to watch them rack up 80-100 kills per night.

Other fun videos to watch is farmers digging through manure piles to scatter the rats and packs of rat terriers chasing them down killing them.

-DallanC

#42: Re: Pellet Rifles Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:28 pm
    ----
Aloysius wrote:
SJ, a hot nail or needle could also do the trick...
and I think you used a tube of a bicycle, I always use a piece of a cartube, 1 layer is a little ticker then. (maybe you only have tubeless wheels?

Aloys, I've tried it out a couple of times and it is working fine. Not to thick to interfere with insertion into the bore. Yes, I have some car tubes for my 1960 MGA with wire wheels.

#43: Re: Pellet Rifles Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:58 pm
    ----
It's heading towards 02:00 here & I'm loath to go to bed as I'm having so much fun.
Put up a piece if fibreboard in the back yard earlier today & zeroed the NV onto a sharpie cross on it.
Smeared the cross with peanut butter & set the rifle up on the breakfast bar after moving my PC monitor out the way.
Trigger's horrible so I'm going for centre of mass rather than head shots but I know I've clobbered four of the buggers so far tonight.
Not particularly ethical I know but for rats I make an exception & two at least are lying in view through the NV.
I need to find out what leads I need for the video outlet from the scope...

I need to dismantle the dismal trigger too.

The view from over my desk (dark rectangle's the open door... Very Happy ).

#44: Re: Pellet Rifles Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:25 pm
    ----
Yes, that feeling of satisfaction when you connect. I've gotten 3 so far today and two were hiding showing just one eye watching me. Off-hand weak side to boot. One was by the bird feeder in front of the kitchen window. I ended up having to clean the window. Rats with tails!

#45: Re: Pellet Rifles Author: OldSchoolRanger PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:06 pm
    ----
[/quote]

An air rifle is classified as a firearm in Australia mate, and it's illegal to discharge a firearm in a residential area. You even need to have a firearms licence to own one and then the firearm (air rifle) also has to be registered with the Police...and that's after getting a Permit to Acquire approved by the Police to actually purchase one.

I could give it a real good workout around here on Indian Minors etc...if I could get away with it.[/quote]

LOL! Oh Yeah! Me too!

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions