Why Hunt Africa ??
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Big Game Hunting

#1: Why Hunt Africa ?? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:41 pm
    ----
I got to ask whats with hunters in general wanting to go hunt Africa more then any other place when it comes to going on a longer international hunt ?? Confused

Anyways with that being said the place some of the forum members (most noticably Vince) got me interested in is Australia. It isnt on the cover of hunting magazines much (if ever) but its HUGE and has a large population of animals both native there without related specis on other contries and introduced ones. Cool

What would it take to get a hunt there ?? Are there outfitters etc there ?? Confused

I wouldnt be able to do it for a long time (college + needed to make something of myself) but the moment I get the money I'm gonna be booking a flight Very Happy

Vince and other people from Oz what are the legal limits, hunting requirements, etc ?? Confused

I dont care about "bringing back" any part of a animal myself (if there is export restrictions etc) just want to have a good meal while I'm there Laughing

Dimitri

#2: Re: Why Hunt Africa ?? Author: BLASERMANLocation: Baltimore PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:22 pm
    ----
Many people dream when they are young to hunt a far away place.
They see a movie or video of hunting.They think Africa as dangerous
It is to a point . It does'nt matter if you are hunting Plains game or Dangerous game.
There is so many diffrent kinds of animals in Africa.Believe it or not it is Cheaper than going to Alaska.You can Take 5-6 animals in Africa and only on animal in Alaska for the same price.
A good meal . I went 2 yrs ago , we stayed at a 5 star place , Trained Cook . Super Profesional Hunters , The acomidations were like a hotel.
We were awakened to Good morning here is your coffie at your bed side.
Everything included about $5600 I shot 5 animals of my choise.There are package deals that are less money but you take what they on the package,
usally low cost animals.

#3: Re: Why Hunt Africa ?? Author: GroovyJackLocation: Bama PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:32 pm
    ----
Yep Blaserman is correct Africa is cheeper , much cheeper to hunt than Alaska .. We did a drop hunt in Alaska unguided for ten days and it was $5000 each person , plus tags for the critters you want to take ..
Africa is basically pay as you pull the trigger .. You pay a fee for the hunt which includes X number of animals .. You dont pay the fee on the animal unless you take it ..
Everyone should hunt Africa at least once . I have done one PG ( Plains Game ) hunt twenty years ago , and three DG ( Dangerous Game ) hunts since then .. I may never go again , but I will never forget it as long as I am on this earth ..
I know many who have no desire to go to Africa .. I know some who have no desire to go to Alaska , I also know some who have no desire , but whitetail deer .. I dont understand , but we're all different ..
I have some " good mates " down unda .. They have lotsa game , some of the most screwed up gun laws you have ever seen , and guided hunts for foreigners .. Very Expensive to live there , and shoot and hunt as well ..
Jack

#4: Re: Why Hunt Africa ?? Author: delboyLocation: London England PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:33 pm
    ----
Blazer, yes - Africa (South Africa) can be VERY dangerous to the visitor who is not used to it's ways. You are, however, in far more danger in places like Johannesburg than you are out on the veldt, hunting. I speak with authority on this matter, having been there about 15 times now - we go every year on holiday. There are a lot of places that are very safe but in the big cities I would never go out without my CZ75, which is loaded with Black Talons. One of the most dangerous of species out there is the common or garden Kaffir, usually found loitering on any city corner grooming his plumage and fluttering it in an effort to conceal the AK47 that is stowed beneath. In Jo'burg it is the accepted thing after dark to go through a red light without stopping (carefully, of course) as to stop would fairly certainly mean the loss of your car and wallet - or worse! Capetown is starting to go that way as well now, certain parts are becoming a no-go area to whites - and indeed blacks too if they appear wealthy, and wealthy out there means matching shoes to some people! I have had 15/16 year old girls offer me their "services" for the equivalent of $8 (and NO, before you ask, I didn't - I've got more respect for the family jewels)!
Having said all this, I love the place and am off there again this November - which is the beginning of summer out there. One of the more rediculous laws out there was a notice I saw on the entrance to the Addo Elephant Park, which stated quite clearly that "Anyone bringing explosives into this park is liable to a fine of up to 1000 Rand" as poachers are not averse to bringing down an elephant with a stick of dynamite for it's tusks! A thousand rand, incidentally, is the equivalent of around $160 US! Like that is going to be a serious deterrent if you want some ivory - how much would a set of tusks cost you to buy (if you could get them) in the States? Sad, isn't it?
Del.

#5: Re: Why Hunt Africa ?? Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:36 pm
    ----
I've hunted Alaska too... I love the look of african plains game... its something different, unique and i'd love to do it some day.

-DallanC

#6: Re: Why Hunt Africa ?? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:19 am
    ----
I'm with you Dallan, although I've never hunted outside Australia (well animals anyway).

Don't know about hunting Alaska.....the only thing to hunt there would be Polar Bears wouldn't it? Couldn't shoot one, they are too endangered.
But Africa is another thing. Kudu, Zebra or any of the antelope range....yeah.

Cheers, Vince

#7: Re: Why Hunt Africa ?? Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:32 am
    ----
Vince wrote:
Don't know about hunting Alaska.....the only thing to hunt there would be Polar Bears wouldn't it? Couldn't shoot one, they are too endangered.

Blacktail deer, Sika Deer, Caribou, Moose, Muskox, elk, bison, black bear, coastal grizzly, interior grizzly, wolves, wolverines, polar bears. Thats all I can think off off the top of my head for Alaska big game.

Quote::
But Africa is another thing. Kudu, Zebra or any of the antelope range....yeah.

Cheers, Vince

Kudu would be my absolute, #1 animal to take in Africa. I've wanted to hunt one for a very long time now.

-DallanC

#8: Re: Why Hunt Africa ?? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:30 pm
    ----
Gidday Dallan, I suppose I have shown my ignorance about the beautiful Alaska. The only thing we ever seem to see or hear about Alaska over here in Oz is Polar Bears. There was a big stink in the news over here about a month ago because of hunters paying BIG $ to hunt a single Polar Bear. My understanding is that they are very severely endangered and that their environment is shrinking fast with global warming and human encroachment. Never even considered that all of these other critters would live in the ice and snow.

Hm, Alaska may have just found itself onto my dream list of places I'd love to hunt.

Cheers, Vince

#9: Re: Why Hunt Africa ?? Author: roklokLocation: Fairbanks, Alaska PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:44 pm
    ----
Dont forget Dall Sheep and Mountain Goat for Alaska!!

#10: Re: Why Hunt Africa ?? Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:35 pm
    ----
roklok wrote:
Dont forget Dall Sheep and Mountain Goat for Alaska!!

Ah! I knew i was missing something.

-DallanC

#11: Re: Why Hunt Africa ?? Author: grizzlybeardavid PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:49 pm
    ----
Hi Dallan;

How can you forget Kodiak Island and Big Browines. I got my Brownie
at Stepovak Bay, a gorgeous nine footer!

As for Africa I'm with you, Kudu would be a must.

#12: Re: Why Hunt Africa ?? Author: roklokLocation: Fairbanks, Alaska PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:22 pm
    ----
If I understand correctly a brown bear and a coastal grizzly are one and the same.Habitat and diet are the only things that make them different from an interior grizzly.

#13: Re: Why Hunt Africa ?? Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:03 pm
    ----
As I understand it, the brown bear on Kodiak have been separated from the rest of the population long enough that they are considered a separate sub-species. The Kodiak bear is generally larger, more aggressive and more terretorial than its cousins on the mainland.
Just what my memory serves me - I will probably wish I had checked my facts before this is finished.

#14: Re: Why Hunt Africa ?? Author: grizzlybeardavid PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:31 pm
    ----
Hi Roklok;

you are correct in that they are the same species. However Grizzlies
roam over a greater range than Coastal Bears, have much harsher
climate, far less protein. Their claws are more worn down from digging
and are generally smaller. in 1991 I took a silvertip North of Hundred Mile House that squared just over 7 feet, at an altitude of 4000 feet. He had a phenomenal coat with long silvertip hairs. my Coastal brownie
was a good 9 feet square. I've heard that coastal grizzlies on the BC
coast have gone over 8 feet. At the end of the day it's what one is looking for in a hunt that counts. Prices have also gone up a heck of alot over the last 15 years, my BC hunt cost me at the time $5500 US for 10 days. I see today's prices are nearly triple that.

#15: Re: Why Hunt Africa ?? Author: sniperLocation: Utah PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:42 am
    ----
Dimitri wrote:
I got to ask whats with hunters in general wanting to go hunt Africa more then any other place when it comes to going on a longer international hunt ?? Confused Dimitri

Dimitri: ANYONE who has read Capstick, or Ruark, or Kingsley-Heath, or Corbett, (India) or even the minor lights of the genre, Hemingway or Ross Seyfried KNOWS why it is something that just needs to be done!

Of course, I'll never make it, but I can read "Death in the Long Grass" again, and dream...

Of course, Australia also has some intriguing critters, like wild porker and salt water Croc., and VINCE! Very Happy

-> Big Game Hunting