FFFG in flintlocks
-> Primitive Weapons Hunting

#1: FFFG in flintlocks Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:16 pm
    ----
I have several flintlocks in .45, .50 and .54 and enjoy shooting them. My go to black powder for many years was FFG for the main charge and FFFFG for priming. A number of my friends swear by FFFG so I finally starting using it. Most of my flintlocks seem to prefer triple F and that is what I am going to use. In a pinch, triple F can be used as a priming charge. Anyone else using triple F? All the best...
Gil

#2: Re: FFFG in flintlocks Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:26 pm
    ----
Yep, and I use the Pyrodex equivalent as well: "P". It has a faster burn rate so people need to be careful of pressure.

-DallanC

#3: Re: FFFG in flintlocks Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:19 pm
    ----
there is a fella on forum over here who makes his own......man after my own heart...he even uses caps from the $2 shop intended for cap cuns to set the charge off...talk about cheap shooting.

#4: FFFG in flintlocks Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:42 am
    ----
I shot a Lyman Great Plains Rifler in .54 flintlock today using FFFG powder. I used to feed it FFG black powder and was not pleased with the accuracy at 50 yards. The triple F powder was amazing and at 50 yards it shot bullseye groups. I just called Graf & Sons and ordered eight pounds of FFFG powder. I had called my local gunshop and they wanted $31.00 a pound plus 6 percent state sales tax. The folks at Graf and Son charge $17.99 a pound plus s modest shipping charge and a hazmat fee. IAll the best...
Gil

#5: Re: FFFG in flintlocks Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:21 pm
    ----
Good for you Gil! I have heard it was hard to find black powder in my area but there is a distributor that comes around twice a year and will sell it to club members. I don't remember the price but I don't use much black powder since I lost my canon. I am going to have to build another one.

-> Primitive Weapons Hunting