Not every day thing
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Not every day thing Author: TremblayLocation: Malta, Montana PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:46 pm
    ----
Found on a battlefield from 1915 odds are astronomical two bullets collided

#2: Re: Not every day thing Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:46 pm
    ----
I'm seeing one bullet with rifling marks and one without? I'm thinking one round hit an ammo pouch.

#3: Re: Not every day thing Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:01 pm
    ----
I've seen old lead balls from a cavalry fort in Az. and other places and they're always powdery white, but I suppose these bullets were metal jacketed? I agree with Pumpkin about the ammo pouch idea, also there's no deformation on the tip of that unrifled one.

forensic
Suz

#4: Re: Not every day thing Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:37 pm
    ----
Pumpkinslinger wrote:
I'm seeing one bullet with rifling marks and one without? I'm thinking one round hit an ammo pouch.

I noticed the rifling marks as well. I'd also expect more "tearing" in one of the bullets if they were both in motion. Seems a likely scenario that one impacted another in a pouch or ammo box.

Still, a really cool find!

This is a youtube video of bullets striking things in slow motion... skip to the 2:00 mark to see bullets hitting bullets. I cant imagine how many times they had to try that to get impacts.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDoQwIAaXg

-DallanC

#5: Re: Not every day thing Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:01 am
    ----
Watch out! The video Dallan posted can hypnotize you!

#6: Re: Not every day thing Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:24 am
    ----
we are all detectives...the rifling and lack thereof was first thing I noticed as well.
now get the calipers out and tell us the calibre and weights????
1915 would make it what???? 8mm with a .30 cal hitting it?????
or 7mm with a .311-.312 or vice versa??????

#7: Re: Not every day thing Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:03 am
    ----
It actually looks like an 8mm has hit a 303 round

#8: Re: Not every day thing Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:42 am
    ----
That would be Mr Maxim introducing himself to Mr Lee Enfield.
Probably had 2 or 3 others behind him to finish the job.........

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions