Scopes, sights, zeros...
-> Spam-O-Rama

#1: Scopes, sights, zeros... Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:11 pm
    ----
Well, I picked up a Burris TAC-30 scope w/ P.E.P.R. mount and Fastfire III and put it on my Ruger AR-556 today. I took the Bushnell TRS-32 that was on the AR and put it on a Ruger PC4. I took the Fastfire off of the AR and put it on a Ruger 22/45. The old Millett red dot that was on the 22/45 went over to a Mossberg 835 turkey gun.

My wife asked what I was doing. I answered "Making a headache."

Any suggestions for zeroing the turkey gun? Think I'll start with light loads to get close and then move up to the thumpers.

#2: Re: Scopes, sights, zeros... Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:17 am
    ----
Running out of things to do? Bored? Or you just like a change of scenery...

#3: Re: Scopes, sights, zeros... Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:23 pm
    ----
Get a really big piece of cardboard and I would think just center the dot at the center of the spread of bb's. Start close and back it up and see what you get. I'm not a shottie person and that's because I don't have a good teacher and bird hunting here is so danged expensive combined with hunting a fishing licenses you can really ramp up the dollars. Fun to shoot tho. I bet the dot sight would be a good idea for me too.

Suz

#4: Re: Scopes, sights, zeros... Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:16 pm
    ----
Bushy, needed some more magnification for the AR to do it justice. The TAC-30 is a 1 to 4x while the TRS-32 was just a 1x. I figure 1x won't be a problem on a .40 S&W carbine and its an improvement over the iron sights. The Fastfire is lighter for the pistol and the turkey gun will be more effective with a red dot.

Suz, smart lady! I should have thought of that!

#5: Re: Scopes, sights, zeros... Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:04 pm
    ----
I use a roll of 36" paper to do my shotgun patterning clamped to some 2 by 4s. The pattern is pretty impressive when you hold it up to the light. I was surprised at the difference in chokes and even ammo type/manufacturers. You can cut and save the patterns to refresh your memory if you want.

#6: Re: Scopes, sights, zeros... Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:39 pm
    ----
I could explain the process of patterning a shotgun to ya Punkin, but I figure a video is much more gooderer mate. This video explains it perfectly.

How to Pattern Your Turkey Gun

I especially like his final "test of objectives" using a water bottle because it is very similar in size and shape of a turkey head. Works for me.

#7: Re: Scopes, sights, zeros... Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:01 pm
    ----
Old bed sheets for pattering (easy to fold and stuff). Try different loads and ranges. Elvira LOVED the Fiocchi 20g, 1oz #6. Clays disapeared, birds dropped dead if you hit them- CLEAN kills, no runners. Different shotty loads make all the difference, even more so than chokes!

#8: Re: Scopes, sights, zeros... Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:10 am
    ----
Mike..... Here's how I've done it !!!

Start at 25 yards using your rifle rest.
Use a light load with your standard full choke, I use 1oz clay target loads.
Pattern will be small enough that centering bulk of BB's to point of aim will be easy enough without needing a large piece of paper or cardboard.
Switch to turkey choke and load, verify POA at 25 yards. More than likely it will be on.
I then move to 40 yards and use a turkey target that's printed on a standard piece of paper.
I shoot at least 2 shots for each load I'm trying and count the number of BB's that hit the head and neck.
The only adjustments I've ever had to make at 40 yards was for elevation.

I've only done this with conventional copper plated loads. Have no idea if heavy shot, or unconventional loads will differ.

#9: Re: Scopes, sights, zeros... Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:15 pm
    ----
Sounds like a plan Chambered. Found out that I'm off this weekend so maybe...

-> Spam-O-Rama