AR Feeling the need
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: AR Feeling the need Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:27 am
    ----
OK, so I am thinking it might be fun to put together an AR style rifle, I would want a .308 but I am totally ignorant on what I need. Buying the component parts, ie, upper and lower. Does that make a complete system/rifle? What else would I need beside optics and other goodies, I want at least a 20 inch barrel. Could ya'll recommend a parts list and while I'm sure there are personal preferences on the manufacturer I would be happy to listen to those recommendations also. I am not trying to gain an expert level of knowledge on building these, just don't feel like doing all that research and am looking to you for your expertise. On the other hand, do I really want to do this or should I just go buy a an AR.

#2: Re: AR Feeling the need Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:08 am
    ----
Maybe wait another week till Stovey's shoulder hurts enough?
And for an AR I cannot give you any advice for I'm that old that I'm still hooked on my SAFN and my (para-)FAL, I'm not so into that modern stuff... but if our stupid laws didn't keep me away from building such a thing, I would join you in your work immediatly.

#3: Re: AR Feeling the need Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:08 pm
    ----
Lester - The lower receiver is the "gun " part and has the SN and will need an FFL to get it to you. The parts that go in the lower and the upper are just machine parts and all of that can come in the mail to your door.

There are a ton of videos on you tube about gun plumbing and AR. the AR-10 you want to build is a bit bigger and more costly than the AR-15's but the assembly and parts are all similar. Watch as many of those as you can stand until the process of building up a lower from a parts kit seems as simple as it is to you. (I can build one up in about 15 minutes.)

You will need a few tools to do the job right. An armorers wrench for sure and some sort of vise blocks to hold the receivers in place while you are putting them together.

I have built several AR's and modified several others. They are about as modular a weapon as it gets. That said....

You will not save any money building your own. The cost of the parts is about equal to what you will spend to buy one now.

I would suggest that for your first AR... buy one shoot it and get familiar with it.....then customize that one as you see fit.... then think about building one.

#4: Re: AR Feeling the need Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:00 pm
    ----
I'm with Dawgdad on that idea. I've built two ARs and the second one cost more than the first one and it was around $1500 for the first one. I didn't count up the cost of the second one but the parts were more expensive. Yes I also think modifying the ready-built gun is just really the way to go. A 308 is a longer cartridge so it's an AR-10 configuration. Never built one of those but it's cost will be even more. I'll send you a few links via PM. My pleasure!

Suz

#5: Re: AR Feeling the need Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:42 pm
    ----
Lester, they now have Gen 2 AR10s and there isn't the standardization like there is for the AR15. Suggest building a 6.8mm SPC. It will be 2/3 the weight and cost of an AR10. So it will be easier on your wallet, easier to carryin the field. Better for varmints, good for deer out to 300 yards. You could build a budget 5.56mm first to get some experience under your belt then do just a 6.8mm upper and have 2 guns for the price of one.

#6: Re: AR Feeling the need Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:44 pm
    ----
I can give you lots of tips on building on the AR15 platform. Visit 68forums.com

#7: Re: AR Feeling the need Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:11 am
    ----
Here's a great start, $39.99 for a quality stripped lower.
www.kygunco.com/Anders...Year%20End

#8: Re: AR Feeling the need Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:16 am
    ----
DPMS Oracle .308 LR 10 (AR 10)

#9: Re: AR Feeling the need Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:13 pm
    ----
A friend of mine told me years ago that the ARs were "the LEGO sets of firearms". As far as building or buying; would you really enjoy building your own or are you just wanting something new to shoot?

#10: Re: AR Feeling the need Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:03 am
    ----
OK, well it appears that building one is not as simple as I thought. I want to thank everyone for their input, Suz as expected you went far and above, thank you. I think I'll take Bushy's advice. I really don't have the time and I especially don't have the patience. The only difference is I want a t least a 20 inch barrel. DPMS makes them just haven't found one yet.

#11: Re: AR Feeling the need Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:59 am
    ----
Lester...Please note that you will still have to do a little work on some DPMS'. My Oracle didn't have sights and needed a butt pad. So you still get to do a tinny bit of building to fit your needs.

#12: Re: AR Feeling the need Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:56 pm
    ----
Les, I like my DPMS AR-15 and if its any indication of their quality I think you'll like one too.

#13: Re: AR Feeling the need Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:34 am
    ----
www.80percentarms.com/...r-receiver

www.midwayusa.com/uppe...?cid=16073

Then: buffer, DPMS small parts kit that comes with a grip, go shoot.

I used a DEWALT large soft-jaw clamp to pin my lower to the table for pin driving (with LOTS of e-tape) and detent/spring setting. If you go easy it's rock solid and non-marring.

#14: Re: AR Feeling the need Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:45 am
    ----
Get a quality lower, then you can pin any upper you want to it. You can own 1 lower and multiple uppers in various configs. 2 pins that slide out hold the upper to the lower.

-DallanC

#15: Re: AR Feeling the need Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:04 pm
    ----
Yup! What he said. There's some nice S#'d ones complete with stocks, buffers etc... pay a little more, and plus DROS, but you have a nicer gun and it's one you can sell if you want.

I can't sell Thumper....not that I'd wana. HEHEHEHEHE....

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions