reusing handloads
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#1: reusing handloads Author: tercc PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:24 pm
    ----
Guys -
I was given 60rds of handloaded 30-06 to which they will not chamber in my Remmington 760 ( I think they may have been sized for a bolt gun). I have pulled the bullets and dumped the powder. Now I'm wondering if I can safetly resize those cases with my s.b. dies so they can be used in the 760.I think this is the safest way to handle handloads of unknown origin. I also need to try and match the bullets wit my known bullet charts.

#2: Re: reusing handloads Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:02 pm
    ----
Take out your decapping pin before resize.

#3: Re: reusing handloads Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:23 pm
    ----
good call Gel..... better still is find another 06 they will fit in and fire the primers..bit of a bang but no biggie...turn the stereo up and do it in town and neighbours wont even notice.

#4: Re: reusing handloads Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:23 pm
    ----
Sounds like you have a plan, and some good advice. I tried someone else's reloads once, MANY years ago. The fireball at the muzzle was incredible! I trashed the rest.

#5: Re: reusing handloads Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:42 pm
    ----
Has anyone actually had a primer go bang when decapping one? I haven't. Would removing the decapping pin, which includes the expander, result in tight necks? Not a problem with boat tail bullets but flat based may be another matter.

#6: Re: reusing handloads Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:11 pm
    ----
MacD wrote:
Has anyone actually had a primer go bang when decapping one? I haven't. Would removing the decapping pin, which includes the expander, result in tight necks? Not a problem with boat tail bullets but flat based may be another matter.

you know this question about removing live primers got really heated on another forum
my take on it is this...the warnings tell you not too so I dont do it Scratch
bit like pissing on an electric fence ,no Ive never done it and only heard that its not a good idea...not keen to risk my luck on either anytime soon,primers are dirt cheap...new eyeballs are not.

#7: Re: reusing handloads Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:40 pm
    ----
The dies I have (Hornady and RCBS) allow you to remove the decapping pin and leave the expander in place.

#8: Re: reusing handloads Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:00 am
    ----
I would try to save the primers (leaving them seated in the case) but decapping them is not that difficult and I have even deprimed live primers from military cartridges without them going off. Even if you cannot remove just the pin you can remove the assembly and then put it back in to expand the necks or you could just back the decapper out a few turns and do the resizing and neck expansion in one motion while leaving the primer in place and untouched.

#9: Re: reusing handloads Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:48 am
    ----
I have decapped many live primers with no problem, but once when I tried to decap a crimped primer it does go bang and ruin my decapping pin.
If it is an unknown brass, I rather shoot it off or leave it there when reload.
Better safe than sorry..

#10: Re: reusing handloads Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:17 am
    ----
I also have decapped many live primers and never had anything go wrong. When I think something could go wrong when doing so, I just hang and old towel over the press before lowering the handle. I think when it's difficult to shoot trough a hanging blanket with a handgun round, a simple towel should protect me against a primer. But I cannot give any affirmation because till now, these primers were all still acting as friends.

#11: Re: reusing handloads Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:27 am
    ----
I'm a bit with each and every one's comments. By and largem the easiest way is to fire them off...but the Scotsman comes out in me when I think about that, so I do what I can to reuse them.

If you are able to remove your decapping pin, do so and leave the primers in situ to be used when you reload. Something to consider is how you lube your cases for resizing. If the lube you use needs to be 'washed' off, then you will no doubt find problems with the primers being left in situ. I use resizing wax and find that it wipes off easily using a cloth with a little solvent.

If you elect to decap the live primers, do so carefully...don't go at it like a 'bull at a gate', and you shouldn't have any problems...I do it when necessary and I've never had a primer go off...yet. When I ease the case into the resizing/decapping die, I just go slowly so I can feel the pin push the primer out..no problems.

#12: Re: reusing handloads Author: res45Location: China Grove North Carolina PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:48 am
    ----
MacD wrote:
Has anyone actually had a primer go bang when decapping one? I haven't.

So far after 40 years of handloading I've never had one to pop,I've even smashed a few in sideways using my hand primer in some tight pocket 357 Mag. cases and never had one go off,had to decap those as well.

The key is a slow steady push,often times just the internal pressure will pop the primer before the pin ever touch the primer.

#13: Re: reusing handloads Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:06 am
    ----
Decapped hundreds of live primers. None went pop. If one does...The most that will happen is you may fill your pants.

#14: Re: reusing handloads Author: TremblayLocation: Malta, Montana PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:34 am
    ----
I don't accept hand loads from individuals I did once had trouble with them chambering no powder and case problems.

#15: Re: reusing handloads Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:39 am
    ----
I'll except other's reloads. Disassemble them. Save the brass and bullets. Powder will end up in my yard.

-> Reloading Ammunition