Question for you all
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> General

#1: Question for you all Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:17 pm
    ----
What kind of internet connection do you use to connect to the internet? Is it broadband / moderately fast?

I was approached by the advertiser to put some video based advertising on the website in place of a few existing banner ads. These of course take longer to load on slower connections, and I'm not wanting to make the side too slow for people here.

The flip side is it pays more than standard banner ads, and as our click-through's have been dropping (with the exception of Slim who seems to click on most things and then buy stuff heheh), so have revenues and this might be a way to bring them back up a little.

Its as much you all's site as anyone else, so I want to make sure I involve you all here in the decisions going forward.

-DallanC

#2: Re: Question for you all Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:43 pm
    ----
Broadband, I guess fast enough to watch internet movies.

#3: Re: Question for you all Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:46 pm
    ----
I am running Verizon DSL and it is pretty fast so the updates should not be a problem for me. All the best...
Gil

#4: Re: Question for you all Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:09 pm
    ----
ADSL here

#5: Re: Question for you all Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:22 pm
    ----
ADSL here also.

#6: Re: Question for you all Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:09 pm
    ----
ATT U-verse. It started out at 57mbps and has dropped to 18 mbps while the price has doubled. Upload is only 2 mbps. Very slow. Any recommendations for an alternative?

#7: Re: Question for you all Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:21 pm
    ----
My Charter started out at 40Mb/s and now runs close to 65Mb/s. You can spend a bit more and they have an 80Mb/s service. My upload in only around 5Mb/s.

Most companies throttle (limit) the upload speeds to prevent you from running a group or forum from your home without paying the business rates.

#8: Re: Question for you all Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:56 pm
    ----
One for Charter. Other suggestions?

#9: Re: Question for you all Author: TremblayLocation: Malta, Montana PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:22 pm
    ----
DSL here

#10: Re: Question for you all Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:18 pm
    ----
broadband...and I havent clicked on anything lately as its just the same 5 option surveys over and over and over again......

#11: Re: Question for you all Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:19 pm
    ----
I'm working on Broadband Cable...Download speed 35.94 mbps and Upload speed 1.19 mbps (as of 10 seconds ago).

I'll go with the flow Dallan. Whatever suits yourself and the rest of The Nuts works for me mate.

#12: Re: Question for you all Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:44 am
    ----
I'm sadly running on a system that is shutting down in November, Verison bought them out.....don't know my future route.

Suz

#13: Re: Question for you all Author: GrumulkinLocation: Central Ohio PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:37 am
    ----
DallanC wrote:
What kind of internet connection do you use to connect to the internet? Is it broadband / moderately fast?

I was approached by the advertiser to put some video based advertising on the website in place of a few existing banner ads. These of course take longer to load on slower connections, and I'm not wanting to make the side too slow for people here.

The flip side is it pays more than standard banner ads, and as our click-through's have been dropping (with the exception of Slim who seems to click on most things and then buy stuff heheh), so have revenues and this might be a way to bring them back up a little.

Its as much you all's site as anyone else, so I want to make sure I involve you all here in the decisions going forward.

-DallanC

I have a broadband connection that's fairly fast using an iMac and also use a Windows machine that's a bit slower. In spite of this, a couple of sites I go to freeze the computer on occasion and are very annoying with gratis video and noise. A couple are so annoying I hardly ever visit them any longer.

#14: Re: Question for you all Author: RePeteLocation: Gods Country PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:50 am
    ----
DSL.

I would rather not have video based ads.

Thanks.

#15: Re: Question for you all Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:41 am
    ----
Dallan, Does this mean a shift to video adds eliminates the great banners we have today and the only choice will be video? Hmmm, The banners have been working out well for me. Generator arrives today! Come on everyone, it only takes a few clicks. Just yesterday I learned how expensive 4-wheeler were!

Oh, the Kabota ad is in the right place today.

-> General