The California Drought
-> General

#1: The California Drought Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:39 am
    ----
Here's what a drought looks like.

The Heeler is one of my [very missed] riding buddies.

#2: Re: The California Drought Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:56 am
    ----
Looks brown and parched indeed. Nice photo (as always Bushy). They just declared a drought here, if you can believe that, but it's not because of rain it's because of only a 12% snow-pack. At least they didn't say it was because of infrastructure..... We're going to be hard up for farm irrigation and stream-flow this summer. Fishing will probably be sparse for salmon and steelhead this year. I guess it's a declared drought for some-o-that Obama money that's always on the move here and there. I like to fish, maybe they'll send me some relief money!

Suz

#3: Re: The California Drought Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:06 pm
    ----
I feel for the people of California...if it's one thing we know about, and suffer, in Australia it's droughts. We are having problems with drought in a large number of areas in Australia too mate. The stock and crop losses are terrible for those on the land.

Suz, fishing in the inland rivers is almost non existent right now because of the drought.

#4: Re: The California Drought Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:24 pm
    ----
Vince...You have to understand that it is mostly their (the californians) fault.

They let one third of the water supply keep a small fish (delta smelt) alive and about one third just run into the ocean. They have not built a dam or water storage system in over 50 years. Where as the population has grown 5 fold. Their remedy is to run a pipeline from the Columbia River in Oregon and Washington to central california. The Great Northwest told them (the californians) to suck hind tit.

#5: Re: The California Drought Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:47 pm
    ----
WOW...I didn't realise this mate. Commonsense says you build dams to stockpile water and to help control floodwater when they come.

Why won't the CA Govt do something about water storage mate? They must have an agenda of some sort.

#6: Re: The California Drought Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:11 pm
    ----
Also the Colorado River (which borders Arizona and California) is mostly diverted to California, barely a dribble gets to the Mexican border and where it used to end up in Mexico is now salt flats as far as you can see. Arizona now imports it's own water from California. Figure that one out.

In 1968, Congress authorized construction of the Central Arizona Project, a massive aqueduct serving Phoenix and Tucson, by passing the Colorado River Basin Project Act. Arizona agreed to be last in line for water from the Colorado if a serious drought struck.

In order for California to get a step ahead and get more water they must declare an emergency such as federal aid for drought assistance. As they waste water on forage crops, alfalfa and pasture land (which accounts for as much as half the irrigated acreage in California) much of the harvest is shipped to China.

Brings to mind the recent climate change rhetoric and Chinese trade?????

Suz

#7: Re: The California Drought Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 3:43 am
    ----
Meanwhile, Flagstaff Arizona got 7" of snow this morning!

#8: Re: The California Drought Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:52 am
    ----
Liberals are the main problem in the USSR of C.

-> General