Heading to Pearl Harbor in a few weeks
-> General

#1: Heading to Pearl Harbor in a few weeks Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:34 pm
    ----
Its been my wifes lifelong dream to visit Hawaii so for our 20th anniversary and alot of saving, it's going to happen.

While there are lots of cool things to see and do there, I made it a priority we take a day and spend it in Pearl Harbor, viewing the displays and tributes to the fallen. I look forward to standing on the "Mighty Mo" again, something I got to do when I was 13 and it was stationed in Seattle.

If anyone has been there and has any "dont miss" recommendations of things to see, let me know.

-DallanC

#2: Re: Heading to Pearl Harbor in a few weeks Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:40 pm
    ----
Good on you Dallan, enjoy mate.
I never been to Hawaii, but it has also been listed in the bucket list.

#3: Re: Heading to Pearl Harbor in a few weeks Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:16 pm
    ----
The Arizona memorial is a must.
USS BOWFIN is also worth a look.
Theres now a naval air museam out at the old Barbers Point NAS.
The drive around Oahu is very worthwhile absolutley stunning scenery.
Those are my memories from my visit during RIMPAC 82.
If you get the chance get out to some of the other islands as well.
And asyou are generally landlocked dont forget the beaches, ours are better Smile but still quite nice.
You will have a good time, enjoy yourselves and happy anniversary.

#4: Re: Heading to Pearl Harbor in a few weeks Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:18 pm
    ----
That is going to be a magnificent holiday for both you and SWMBO mate...I'm green with envy.

Have a mate who visited Hawaii and he said he could have spent a week at the various memorials around Pearl Harbour.

Things to do...relax, go to the beach, relax, catch a wave, relax, visit the various memorials, relax, if there is one happening watch an internment ceremony on the Arizona. Most importantly, you and the family enjoy the break mate.

#5: Re: Heading to Pearl Harbor in a few weeks Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:20 pm
    ----
Yup The Arizona memorial is a must! Went there in 1998.

#6: Re: Heading to Pearl Harbor in a few weeks Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:30 am
    ----
Why yes...Might I recommend renting a car and drive around the island coast. A short, but nice hike (used to be a dirt trail) up to Waimea Falls. A neat beach to snorkle at is Hanauma Bay up by KoKo Head where Blue Hawaii was filmed (elvis presley). Sandy Beach if you like to "body serf".

There are so many things to see when circumnavigating the parimeter of the island of Oahu. One day should do it.

Take a swim suit and a camera...

One warning. The sun is very intense (no air pollution) and will burn you in a matter of minutes. Get the best UV lotion you can find and wear light cotton and cover what skin you can.

Have a ball. I did...Spent 4 years there in the mid to late '60s and off and on up to 1996.

#7: Re: Heading to Pearl Harbor in a few weeks Author: AzarLocation: Utah PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:35 pm
    ----
Snorkeling in Hanauma Bay is one thing I didn't get to do but really wanted to while there many years back. They bay was full of box jellyfish and they weren't allowing snorkelers in it (as if I'd want to swim in a bay full of jellyfish anyway...). Apparently, the jellyfish come and go with the monthly lunar cycle but sometimes come in much greater numbers. We weren't lucky.

#8: Re: Heading to Pearl Harbor in a few weeks Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:29 pm
    ----
Box jelly fish...nasty buggers. They close our northern beaches every year during summer...they are one of the deadliest beasties in the ocean. Don't take any chances with them, just stay well clear.

#9: Re: Heading to Pearl Harbor in a few weeks Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:32 pm
    ----
Don't forget to take some time to put your feet up and relax on the beach with a few of those fancy umbrella drinks. Maybe take in a luau, but don't forget to bring some dark sunglasses so nobody can see where your staring.

#10: Re: Heading to Pearl Harbor in a few weeks Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:59 pm
    ----
I hope Mrs. Dallan isn't reading this site...She might go to Hawaii and send him to G.U.A.M.

#11: Re: Heading to Pearl Harbor in a few weeks Author: inthedarkLocation: Ontario PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:24 am
    ----
BigBlue wrote:
Don't forget to take some time to put your feet up and relax on the beach with a few of those fancy umbrella drinks. Maybe take in a luau, but don't forget to bring some dark sunglasses so nobody can see where your staring.

Thanks Blue for the photo of them jelly fishes. They do Look Dangerous! Haha

#12: Re: Heading to Pearl Harbor in a few weeks Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:54 am
    ----
inthedark wrote:
They do Look Dangerous! Haha

Especially when they swarm!

-> General