Watch those jacket "drawstrings" . . . ! ** SAFETY MESSAGE
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> General

#16: Re: Watch those jacket "drawstrings" . . . ! ** SAFETY MESSAGE Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:13 pm
    ----
The only real safety on any gun is the mental awareness of the operator.

Wardrobe malfunction or not it is still a negligent discharge. Operator error.

While it might be nearly impossible to circumvent all the safeties on a 1911 there is someone out there that can still manage to hurt themselves or another in a moment of negligence.

The only safety that really matters is the individual's awareness of the guns ability to fail.

#17: Re: Watch those jacket "drawstrings" . . . ! ** SAFETY MESSAGE Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:42 pm
    ----
No disagreement here weirsey.
The powers that be went to smaller calibers so the troops could carry more frontline ammo and the lower recoil ensured more rounds were actually hitting the target from male and females as opposed to armour where size matters and you guys are 5 km snipers with 62 ton of recoil suppression. Unfortunately the ole 1911 in .45 was pushed aside in general service as a result, over 100 years old and still a relevant design. Didnt one of your armed services bring it back for use in Afghanistan in .45?
They have chosen the glock as it requires minimum mental application to shoot under stress.
On that note I believe another log is called for and pass over another beer.

#18: Re: Watch those jacket "drawstrings" . . . ! ** SAFETY MESSAGE Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:58 am
    ----
I will only admit that gun safeties are a mechanical device invented by man designed to fail. But only that.

One of you young-uns get that log that dhc4ever asked for and while yer up , get me one of those beers.

#19: Re: Watch those jacket "drawstrings" . . . ! ** SAFETY MESSAGE Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:05 am
    ----
Rough morning I think I had a few to many of Vince's beers, or may be it was the whiskey. Either way I got the log for dhc4ever it's a big one, could someone take it off my head it's starting to hurt pretty bad.

Don't get me wrong the Glock is a good weapon, they just did not go far enough in my opinion. And for this reason I won't own one. I do like my son's XDm, same type of trigger plus the added feature of a beaver tail. To me it feels like the best of both world.

Th 1911 was retired due to the perceived necessity of needing a smaller grip frame and less recoil, as far as ammo weight is concerned I never carried more than three magazines. They succeeded in lower recoil, failed miserably with the smaller grip frame, and they managed to double the amount of ammo that can be carried. I guess two out of three isn't bad.

Time for another pot of coffee, my head still hurts.

#20: Re: Watch those jacket "drawstrings" . . . ! ** SAFETY MESSAGE Author: 44martyLocation: Cheshire, MA; USA PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:07 am
    ----
dhc4ever wrote:
I would postulate that putting your finger on the trigger as you begin to draw the firearm, especially as the safety is on the trigger is the major cause of UD's and glock leg. On the other hand how many have been saved by the draw point and shoot capability without fumbling with safetys?
Now we're back full circle to training and competency, which would need to be monthly for everyone that carries not just the ones on the street all the time, not a 1/2 day every year.

CARELESSNESS - INATTENTIVENESS (is that a word?)

Notice that this guy has shot himself before. If you watch to the end, he shot himself in the hand while cleaning an "unloaded" gun.

Why is he drawing and re-holstering a gun IN A GUN SHOP ? He should have brought that pistol in unloaded, with no mag, at slide lock - and preferably in a case.

Why is he NOT WATCHING what he is doing while holstering his pistol ???

THANKS to the station for airing this. Reminds me to reinforce safety training with the kids. One son in law has a trigger-safety S&W.

#21: Re: Watch those jacket "drawstrings" . . . ! ** SAFETY MESSAGE Author: 44martyLocation: Cheshire, MA; USA PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:19 am
    ----
PS- If I am not mistaken, the Glock has a stiff enough trigger pull that this shouldn't happen without extreme carelessness?? Don't know as I have never shot one. The S&W in Massachusetts has an ungodly special (Mass regulated) extra-heavy trigger pull. The result is that most shooters have a trigger job done and dial the trigger pull down to less than 3 pounds.

Hopefully they are very careful. Accidental discharges are extremely rare, so I guess most are.

#22: Re: Watch those jacket "drawstrings" . . . ! ** SAFETY MESSAGE Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:50 am
    ----
You are correct about "accidental discharges" being rare 44marty. There is no such thing as an AD. I will except acts of God and "negligent discharges" though.

#23: Re: Watch those jacket "drawstrings" . . . ! ** SAFETY MESSAGE Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:38 am
    ----
+1

-> General