What is the WORST gun you ever bought?
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: What is the WORST gun you ever bought? Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:54 pm
    ----
While on the topic of most favorite guns and such, I was wondering what if any, was the WORST gun you've ever owned and why? Me personally I've had great luck with my guns but I'd have to say my "potmetal" HiPoint 9mm would be my ummmm most "questionable" gun I own LOL! I'm actually kinda embarrassed to admit I have one expecially after seeing the pict in the photoalbum of one someone actually shot up Razz

-DallanC

#2: Re: What is the WORST gun you ever bought? Author: BillPLocation: West/Ctrl MN PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:03 pm
    ----
Ruger 77 in 22-250: Tried and tried to find an accurate load for it but never did. I also had more trouble trying to reload the brass. I have had a lot of experience reloading but this one beat me. Neck cracks by the third reload.

#3: Re: What is the WORST gun you ever bought? Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:47 am
    ----
Howdy. Not thats it s a bad gun mind you but the one i shot the worst would be the ruger gp100 357 i would have had better luck throwing the gun at the target, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I can shoot the smith 686 all day long guess it fits me better. The ruger was a nice pistol for lookin at though !! Confused

#4: Re: What is the WORST gun you ever bought? Author: greenjeansLocation: Greenville, SC PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:49 am
    ----
Smith & Wesson Model SW9M. Compact 9mm. Stayed broke more than fixed. Fail to fire about 50% of the time. Made for concealed carry, but didn't keep mine long. Sad

#5: Re: What is the WORST gun you ever bought? Author: bradking1 PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:59 am
    ----
weatherby accumark in 30-378...the thing would not print groups better than 3" at 100. i poured about $400 worth of bullets, powder and factory ammo down the barrel and still had no luck...sold it.

my brother however, has an accumark in 338-378 and it will shoot 1/4 moa Shocked think about that.

i guess every maker has lemons.

#6: Re: What is the WORST gun you ever bought? Author: calsibley PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:27 am
    ----
The worse gun I've ever owned (I thought) was my first one, a Savage 99 in .308Win. Try as I might I couldn't find a load that would do better than 1 1/2" (5 at 100yds.). In disgust, I sold it. Then, older and wiser, I realized that's pretty good grouping for a lever action, and started kicking myself. Oh how I wish I had that rifle back again. Well, live and learn I guess. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal Crying or Very sad

#7: Re: What is the WORST gun you ever bought? Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:11 pm
    ----
An Italian Model 1891 6.5mm Carcano rifle for $20. It had been sporterized, the bore was black with no trace of rifling. The gun was part of an estate purchase and I was obligated to take it along with some very nice guns. Never shot it, just sold it to my brother for $20 as a parts gun. All the best...
Gil

#8: Re: What is the WORST gun you ever bought? Author: huntwvLocation: West Virginia PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:15 am
    ----
I baught a Remington 710 in 270 caliber for my daughter to deer hunt with. The bolt was and still is very hard to work when it gets cold. Sometimes the bolt wont even open. She has missed a few deer on the run because of this. I tried fileing the lugs on the bolt down very slightly and this seemed to help a little. I am a big Remington fan but I wouldnt recomend this gun to anyone.
Huntwv

#9: Re: What is the WORST gun you ever bought? Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:23 am
    ----
Worst gun I ever bought was an Iver Johnson 22 cal. pistol. Bought in way back when I was in high school. It didn't have adjustable sites and maybe fired every 3rd round or so. Terrible gun. Was happy when I found a sucker to buy it.

#10: Re: What is the WORST gun you ever bought? Author: Coyote_Hunter_Location: Franktown, CO PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:02 pm
    ----
That's easy - a "rebuilt" Sears 12 gauge I paid $95 for back in 1978. Bought it at Sears, but I think it was a Mossberg, not sure.

Shot it a fair amount until it decided to open the action every time it fired. Traded it for a Mec 650 reloader and bought a Rem 870 3" Mag.

#11: Re: What is the WORST gun you ever bought? Author: Happy PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:08 pm
    ----
Worst gun
Marlin 45/70 guide. First it had the wrong front site. (two high )

Bore was one and a half over sized.

Speed bumps under the dove tails and were the barrel was imprinted

Best groups were around five to six inches @ 100 yards .
That was with any one's bullet and powder, using different shooter.

Embarassed Of course being a new rifle I tried the bullets and power types out first , trying to find "the load"
Happy

#12: Re: What is the WORST gun you ever bought? Author: mejeepnut PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:23 am
    ----
Ruger Mini-14 ranch rifle.My old marlin 22 with open sights will group tighter at 50 yards than than this thing will at 25 yards with a 3x9 scope!I allways wanted one and bought this one new for $400,should have bought another Savage or a pile of old 22's

#13: Re: What is the WORST gun you ever bought? Author: BlaineLocation: Maine PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:56 pm
    ----
I bought a used S&W model 28 "Highway Patrolman" in 357 mag. It only had a 4 1/2" barrel so i didn't expect much. I mainly bought it because I didn't have one. The best I could ever get it to shoot was about a 4" group @ 50 yards. It had open sights and mounting a scope would have cost more than I paid for the gun.

Blaine

#14: Re: What is the WORST gun you ever bought? Author: Flint54Location: North Carolina PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:47 pm
    ----
The worst firearm I ever purchased was a Remington 700 in .308 Win. The rifle would never group better than 4" with even 3 shot groups. I tried every trick in the book that I could from Bedding to recrowning the barrel. I even had the barrel shortened from 24" to 20" and then again to 16.5" for a light brush gun. Still no luck or progress. I then was at a Gunshow and there was someone that had a borescope. Well we found out what the problem was, the lands were uneven and in places they were actually torn on the edges, there were tool marks all through the barrel and it even looked like it was threaded in the middle. I was fortunate that day, after I left the table about an hour later another dealer offered me $400 for the rifle/scope. It was sold without question and I went and picked up 2 barrels for my Contender.

#15: Re: What is the WORST gun you ever bought? Author: calsibley PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:11 am
    ----
I once purchased a German 8x57 mauser. It was a very nice looking rifle
after I refinished the stock and metal. It made a great wall hanger and reminded me that beauty is only skin deep, because it never shot worth a hoot. It was made in 1916 and likely saw action in both wars. I scrubbed the barrel for weeks, and it still didn't come clean. I never could bring myself to part with something so attractive, but I was really disappointed with its lack of accuracy. Maybe some rifles are beyond hope after all. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions