Gear hauling on atv for ice fishing
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> General

#16: Re: Gear hauling on atv for ice fishing Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:02 pm
    ----
Nice setup for ice fishing Dallan. Growing up and living in the Dakota's, driving out on the ice was the norm for ice fishing trips. Very Happy

#17: Re: Gear hauling on atv for ice fishing Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:41 pm
    ----
Here's a few......

#18: Re: Gear hauling on atv for ice fishing Author: radarLocation: North Island New Zealand PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:49 pm
    ----
I don't mind the cold, but fishing on ice, down a hole just doesn't make sense to me. I guess different strokes for different folk. As for the quad it looks well decked out and I'm making a bold assumption that theres not many hills around so you won't have issues grounding the back or as Vince suggested lightening the front steering.
Anyhoo have fun whilst you're fishing, thats whats most important.A fish pic or two might be one way of silencing us nay sayers.

#19: Re: Gear hauling on atv for ice fishing Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:44 pm
    ----
Here's a few pics of past years.

#20: Re: Gear hauling on atv for ice fishing Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:52 pm
    ----
Yea, you can't get near most of our lakes in the winter with a rig. They don't plow to them, or they have gates so its just not possible. Snowmobiles are used when snow is over what an ATV can get through. We haven't had much snow this year at all so atv's can get about anywhere still.

I had a green eskimo clam style shack like your final picture. We outgrew it so I sold it and picked up a 6man popout, those seem to be the rage in these parts. Oddly I sold the old green 3man for more than I paid for the new 6man.

Anywho, truck is all loaded up with the atv and gear, heading out in the AM to our favorite lake about 2 hours away. Hope we have a good time and get some nice ones.

-DallanC

#21: Re: Gear hauling on atv for ice fishing Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:54 pm
    ----
Good luck Dallan...be careful on the ice mate and get some fish...with pics of course mate.

#22: Re: Gear hauling on atv for ice fishing Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:54 pm
    ----
radar wrote:
I don't mind the cold, but fishing on ice, down a hole just doesn't make sense to me.

You just need to try it I guess. Some species of fish, this is the only time of year you can get'em.

Quote::
As for the quad it looks well decked out and I'm making a bold assumption that theres not many hills around so you won't have issues grounding the back or as Vince suggested lightening the front steering.

Oh its hilly, we're fishing at 8500ft, but there are mild slopes to get onto the ice, and once on the ice, its all flat. Besides, its one pin to remove the rear cargo rack if I actually did have to go up /down something steep.

-DallanC

#23: Re: Gear hauling on atv for ice fishing Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:26 pm
    ----
DallanC wrote:
radar wrote:
I don't mind the cold, but fishing on ice, down a hole just doesn't make sense to me.

You just need to try it I guess. Some species of fish, this is the only time of year you can get'em.

Quote::
As for the quad it looks well decked out and I'm making a bold assumption that theres not many hills around so you won't have issues grounding the back or as Vince suggested lightening the front steering.

Oh its hilly, we're fishing at 8500ft, but there are mild slopes to get onto the ice, and once on the ice, its all flat. Besides, its one pin to remove the rear cargo rack if I actually did have to go up /down something steep.

-DallanC

Still can't help but think that a single wheeled trailer would be a real asset mate...but having said that, it looks very capable as it is now.

Go get some fish mate, and give your your young fella a great fishing trip to remember.

#24: Re: Gear hauling on atv for ice fishing Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:27 pm
    ----
Good luck Dallan and be safe.

#25: Re: Gear hauling on atv for ice fishing Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:32 pm
    ----
Dallan The Boss Man wrote:
...Some species of fish, this is the only time of year you can get'em.

What species do you chase under the ice mate? Don't these fish species bite during the warmer months?

#26: Re: Gear hauling on atv for ice fishing Author: radarLocation: North Island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:01 pm
    ----
Im pretty sure that was a Pike that was speared with the pitch fork. They're a pretty good sports fish aren't they?

#27: Re: Gear hauling on atv for ice fishing Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:36 pm
    ----
Worked great! I need to strengthen the hitch mount a bit but otherwise it worked great. We had all our gear on the ATV plus my wife and boy. The ole' tank musta been packing close to 1000lbs yet again Very Happy

Great day out trying it... we got to access a remote part of the lake I'd never consider walking to and hauling gear.

Everything loaded on the honda, heading down to the lake.

The view at 8500ft. Beautiful day, warmed up to nearly 50. Ice was over 11" thick

Wife scored two quick ones right out of the gate. Big Rainbow trout, the larger went 3lbs.

My boy caught the biggest fish of the day, a really nice Cutthroat trout.

The two biggest, the top one was the heaviest, the bottom the longest.

Iced 7, had two break off at the holes. Countless strikes and thrown hooks. Plenty of action! The small 14" one on the right is a hybrid my state is stocking now called a Tiger trout.

Obligatory "Cookie sheet" picture, 4 biggest. Gave one to parents, eating one tonight, smoking the rest.

All in all a fun day to get out and break the cabin fever going on.

-DallanC

#28: Re: Gear hauling on atv for ice fishing Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:17 pm
    ----
WOW, great catch!

Awesome!

#29: Re: Gear hauling on atv for ice fishing Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:57 pm
    ----
Nice catch Dallan!!!!! I don't get the chance to catch trout very often. I love to spear Northern Pike mainly. some guys are fanatics about Walleye Pike but I get to bored fishing them and end up drinking a bit to much waiting for a bite. As in the other pics I also fish for Crappies during the winter but again I get bored waiting for them also. At least when I am spearing I am looking down a 2 foot by 4 foot hole in the ice watching my like decoy minnow and jigging a wooden decoy. I get to see the fish and how they react before they strike. It is like looking at down at a large screen tv.

#30: Re: Gear hauling on atv for ice fishing Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:19 pm
    ----
Wow!!! Congrats to both DallanC and wiersy111! Thanks for the pictures. Anyone heard from stovey lately?

-> General