Christmas Tree
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> General

#1: Christmas Tree Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:31 pm
    ----
Got out to the woods this morning and cut a fir tree for Christmas. This one has the potential to be a nice tree. Hopefully when it is put up and decorated, it won't prove to be just another Charlie Brown tree, like so many that I have brought home in the past. Anyone else cut their own Christmas trees? Hope you all have a Merry Christmas. Very Happy Very Happy

#2: Re: Christmas Tree Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:35 pm
    ----
Merry Christmas!

#3: Re: Christmas Tree Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:48 pm
    ----
Killing baby trees... you ought to be ashamed!

That tree could live to be a couple thousand years old but you have to kill it when it is just a babe....... poor little tree.

OK gentlemen AS YOU WERE!

#4: Re: Christmas Tree Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:36 pm
    ----
PaulS wrote:
Killing baby trees... you ought to be ashamed!

That tree could live to be a couple thousand years old but you have to kill it when it is just a babe....... poor little tree.

OK gentlemen AS YOU WERE!

On the contrary. trees in this part of the world are in dire need of thinning out. As thick as they are here, without thinning, they will never amount to much of a tree down the road. I did my part. Very Happy Very Happy

#5: Re: Christmas Tree Author: radarLocation: North Island New Zealand PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:43 pm
    ----
We got christmas tree farms here, you go and pay per foot in height, pick your tree and when you're ready at home you go out and they cut your tree down for you. Each tree is only 2-3 years old. The guy I buy from uses the money to pay his mortgage off with lump sums. $40 - $70 per tree by 900 trees is a nice little tax free bonus in anyones book. Pinus Radiata here.

#6: Re: Christmas Tree Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:48 am
    ----
radar wrote:
We got christmas tree farms here, you go and pay per foot in height, pick your tree and when you're ready at home you go out and they cut your tree down for you. Each tree is only 2-3 years old. The guy I buy from uses the money to pay his mortgage off with lump sums. $40 - $70 per tree by 900 trees is a nice little tax free bonus in anyones book. Pinus Radiata here.

Similar thing here...the pine plantations do a little thinning out and there are a few Christmas Tree farms about as well.

I have an artificial one now...loved the smell of the pine needles at Christmas, but it worked out easier to get the artificial one when moving around with the Army...no pine trees in the tropics.

#7: Re: Christmas Tree Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:18 am
    ----
after watching a doco on how fast a semi dry pine can burn...we have an artificial job now.

#8: Re: Christmas Tree Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:53 am
    ----
One of my relatives has Christmas tree farms all over the valley here and they cut and ship them all over the world. Helicopters pick up the bundled trees and load them on double trailer trucks, you should see those things maneuver, it's quite a sight. They work really fast too, getting their money's worth out of aviation fuel.

Suz

#9: Re: Christmas Tree Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:58 am
    ----
Why didn't your relatif ask Rudolf & C° to help him out, or did he already?
With the fuelprices of these days it's worth a try. He already has a "no", but he might get a "yes" Smile

#10: Re: Christmas Tree Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:32 pm
    ----
Whatchoo drinkin Aloys? Is that apple juice getting ripe again?

Suz

#11: Re: Christmas Tree Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:06 am
    ----
Yup...Aloys is on the sauce again. Laughing

#12: Re: Christmas Tree Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:47 am
    ----
Suz, try this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slivovitz

you can use it to clean your paintbrushes, maybe even to start your car...
it sure will get Rudolf started.

1 advice: the moment you begin to like the taste, it's time to check if your legs are still working as expected...

#13: Re: Christmas Tree Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:50 am
    ----
Aloys you were going to give me a recipe for that stuff. I don't have a lovely state-of-the-art still in my back yard though.

This is a cool rig. You could tow it around to farms for the freshest ingredients.

Suz

#14: Re: Christmas Tree Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:49 pm
    ----
Laughing NICE! Laughing

#15: Re: Christmas Tree Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:09 am
    ----
Hey I made some good stuff for Christmas presents this year. I went out and picked a gallon of blackberries, put them in a gallon pickle jar and poured enough vodka on top of them to cover (and then some). Let them sit in my pantry for about 4 months, then I strained the berries and juice and vodka and it's a wonderful wine colored hard smackin butt kicker. Well i also added some sugar. I boiled some water and added sugar to dissolve, let it cool and then put some in to taste.

Suz

-> General