Round 4: Turkey Day!
-> Small Game Hunting

#1: Round 4: Turkey Day! Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:06 pm
    ----
Got to my secret spot with uncle and his brother in law. etc. in tow. Kinda cool and windy, grounds is moist so I'm thinking the birds are sleeping in and coming off roost late- it's quite. I start high and go low with wind at my back, birds usually run against it, but it's not panning out. I hop back in the truck to change spots and the elders are grumbling something about my bird magnet being busted. So that tears it.

I park it. Tell 'em back in 30 mins, be ready cuz they are flying at your head. I taped up and laced up my game foot and haul ass in a big loop down wind about a mile. I find two small bunches of quail and manage to push one and call a few stragglers into it. Then get about 50y from the old poops and start tossing rocks in the bushes in the ravine fulla thorns I am working while they are on the pan by the truck...

They are hop-scotching and not taking wing. So I pop one in the air from Elvira and boom! We have targets and they are up on the pan and out of the ravine.

This caught everyone flatfooted and then the shooting starts, after one was ducking the perfect pair I sent right at his head! Hahahah it was a hoot- "look out man, two at 12 o'clock low"!. ZOOM! Then a couple Hail Mary's from his 20g OU. Excuses as follows: "I didn't see him!" I didnt' wana shoot the truck!". I thought you were in the line of fire!" That one caught the wind!". Some things never change.

We had some fun with these bunches missing and laughing and carrying on...I knew where they went and was ready to go get them after a few mins wait and call them back in for another push but it was time to get back for one of us so...a short hunt, empty bags but some of us got to shoot that aint seen live ones in over 10 years, and, my bird magnet still works Very Happy ....for all this I am thankful.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

(A lil pic of the San Francisco peaks on the way to Kingman)

-stovey.

#2: Re: Round 4: Turkey Day! Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:18 pm
    ----
stovey, glad you had a good Thanksgiving. However, another story where the only thing you have to show is the hood of your truck. When will it in" (Bushy, tag your it)

-> Small Game Hunting