Max AR15 Hunting Ranges
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Spam-O-Rama

#16: Re: Max AR15 Hunting Ranges Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:03 pm
    ----
Very interesting and provocative discussion.

My typical soapbox for any hunter of game is to know your maximum lethal range for each weapon and load you intend to use on a live target. Just because the table says you have enough energy to take game at 425 yards witha 6.5 Grendel does not mean that you possess the skill to take that shot and make a lethal hit on a cold bore shot.

Until a hunter can demonstrate on inanimate targets the ability to make the shot at distance in hunting conditions you need to spend more time on the range and less time behind the keyboard.

I will set up gallon milk jugs with water at random distances from 25 to 350 yards in the range where i shoot and have a new hunter shoot from a hunting position (like sitting with shooting sticks or a bipod) and go from close to far until they miss the same target twice. The last jug they hit is as far as they should be shooting at live game. You would be surprised how many guys who thought they had the perfect 500 yard coyote rig could not hit a milk jug at 175 yards.....

Shot placement beats bullet performance,or stated another way, a good shot with a poor bullet will be more effective than a marginal shot with an excellent bullet.

#17: Re: Max AR15 Hunting Ranges Author: XcountryRiderLocation: Pine Valley Ca PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:27 pm
    ----
Dawgdad wrote:
Very interesting and provocative discussion.

My typical soapbox for any hunter of game is to know your maximum lethal range for each weapon and load you intend to use on a live target. Just because the table says you have enough energy to take game at 425 yards witha 6.5 Grendel does not mean that you possess the skill to take that shot and make a lethal hit on a cold bore shot.

Until a hunter can demonstrate on inanimate targets the ability to make the shot at distance in hunting conditions you need to spend more time on the range and less time behind the keyboard.

I will set up gallon milk jugs with water at random distances from 25 to 350 yards in the range where i shoot and have a new hunter shoot from a hunting position (like sitting with shooting sticks or a bipod) and go from close to far until they miss the same target twice. The last jug they hit is as far as they should be shooting at live game. You would be surprised how many guys who thought they had the perfect 500 yard coyote rig could not hit a milk jug at 175 yards.....

Shot placement beats bullet performance,or stated another way, a good shot with a poor bullet will be more effective than a marginal shot with an excellent bullet.

Right know your weapons capability and more importantly your own capability.

#18: Re: Max AR15 Hunting Ranges Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:29 pm
    ----
XcountryRider wrote:
Hmm I think its important to check the manufacturers website for recommendations.

XR, not sure how to respond or if its even worth responding. The manufactures list generalized information and often slant it to meet their marketing objectives. The data has been laid out for you. Keep believing the earth is flat.

I'm on the side line with Suz. Popcorn

#19: Re: Max AR15 Hunting Ranges Author: XcountryRiderLocation: Pine Valley Ca PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:54 pm
    ----
From a Hornady inquiring about the .308 125gr SST.

"This bullet was built for the 30 Rem A/R and still expands at around 1700-1800 feet per second impact.
As long as you do not drop below this velocity you will be fine."

#20: Re: Max AR15 Hunting Ranges Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:18 am
    ----
for what????
paper/rabbits/foxes/roe deer/ fallow deer/ red deer/ wapity-elk/moose/ black bear/brown-grizzlies/cape buffalo/ elephant/panza tank!!!!!
you have to hit an animal in the right place with enough penetration to get bullet to get into vitals BEFORE expansion even becomes an important issue if even then.

-> Spam-O-Rama