.30 Remington AR
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  :| |:
-> Spam-O-Rama

#31: Re: .30 Remington AR Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:35 pm
    ----
Pkslinger, I need to apologize for being over-energenic about the 6.8 and referring to the 30 RAR as a "dude" at the beginning of the thread. Every AR set-up for deer hunting that is brought into service is a good one.

Thought I read that Remington might be making a minor chamber change but can't find it again.

I did find the Rifle AR Special Edition at a Barnes & Noble. Will start reading tonight.

#32: Re: .30 Remington AR Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:40 pm
    ----
No problem Slim! Besides, after finding some major plumbing problems with the house today I won't be buying any gun for a LONG time!

#33: Re: .30 Remington AR Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:33 am
    ----
Pkslinger, sorry to hear about he house problems. I thought the author was knowlegable and wrote a good article on the .30 RAR from the cartridge's potential down to the difficulties of getting components and why the cartridge didn’t go anywhere (for now). I thought it was interesting that the 30 RAR has a unique magazines that feed from the left side. Looking at the ballistics of the .30 RAR, I think 130-135gr bullets are the sweet spot, e.g., Barnes 130TSX BT, 135gr Sierra SMK (Nosler 125gr BT will do well because of its high BC for that weight bullet). Because their BCs are well above 0.3 and they have higher mv compared to the 150gr bullets, they carrier their energy well and have flatter trajectories, almost 20 inches at 500 yards. .30-30 and round nose bullets will work but will be far from optimum. The bullets will be too far from the lands and have too low a BC to bring out the potential for this rifle-bullet combination. The case length of the .30 RAR is designed for long-nosed bullets. How often do you see people reloading their .30-06 with .30-30 bullets?

The other articles were interesting too. The .300 Blackout and 6.5 Grendel were very informative though in reality, the Blackout is fading.

The 6.8 SPC article was the worst article I’ve ever seen written in any gun magazine. The author only demonstrated his lack of knowledge regarding the subject and inability to do any research. He didn’t cover the fact the original 6.8 mm chamber and rifling twist have gone through an evolution resulting in the SPC II which has resulted in a significant step up in performance. He didn’t use powders that work well in the 6.8 and was achieving reloading velocities that were averaging 200 to 500 fps less than what I’ve experienced with 16" barrels. His article was a real disservice. I do not understand why the magazine every printed or paid him for this article. The 6.8 is basically a .270 minus 300 yards but there are a bunch of great purpose-built bullets that maximize its performance potential, e.g. 95gr TTSX, 100gr AccuBond, Barnes 110gr TSX, Hornady 120gr SST, Federal 90gr Gold Dot and 115gr Fusion. It is being used to slay feral hogs with efficiency. Here is a link that shows you why the 6.8 has turned into the most used AR hunting rifle. There are plenty more like it on the forum.

68forums.com/forums/sh...Long-Read)

#34: Re: .30 Remington AR Author: radarLocation: North Island New Zealand PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:02 pm
    ----
Slim, Not that I know F all about ARs and 308 v 6.8 etc but the photographs on that storm front in the article you linked are AWESOME! + its a good story too.

#35: Re: .30 Remington AR Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:34 pm
    ----
Radar, glad you enjoyed it. The weather he hunted in at night would have kept all most all of us away (certainly me). He certainly racked up the hogs with his 6.8!

#36: Re: .30 Remington AR Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:59 pm
    ----
slim I hear ya.....I really do.
I get red in face reading about how great the .28 ga is with a 3/4oz payload and how much better than a .410 it is as thats just a toy Mad Mad that will wound birds all day Mad Mad

#37: Re: .30 Remington AR Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:05 pm
    ----
He didnt say what load/rifle he was using but man that reads like a great time!!

#38: Re: .30 Remington AR Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:26 am
    ----
Elvis wrote:
He didnt say what load/rifle he was using

6.8mm SPC II, 16" barrel 1:11.25 twist, Hornady 120gr SST, 27.2gr AA2200, 2525fps mv

Did you see in his sig that he has taken more than 1000 feral hogs?

#39: Re: .30 Remington AR Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:24 am
    ----
That was a great read...he really knows how to set the stage and tell a story. The tractor and its ghostly inhabitant was pretty freaky as well.

Radar is right...that storm looks downright mean.

That 6.8 he is using looks awesome...damn I wish we could have a set-up like that out here in Oz. Come to think of it, I just wish I could afford a set-up like that. Laughing

#40: Re: .30 Remington AR Author: radarLocation: North Island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:18 am
    ----
Im like you vince, can't afford it! But I checked out the site for those TrackingPoint rifle systems $27K USD.....but hell they would be fun to play with.

#41: Re: .30 Remington AR Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:13 pm
    ----
ta for update Slim. 120grain aye......hmmmm

#42: Re: .30 Remington AR Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:29 pm
    ----
radar wrote:
Im like you vince, can't afford it! But I checked out the site for those TrackingPoint rifle systems $27K USD.....but hell they would be fun to play with.

Yup...be more funner than a fart in an elevator mate. Oh well...the Law, plus $ and c are all against me so I will have to resort to the other fun option. Very Happy Wink Fart Laughing Laughing

#43: Re: .30 Remington AR Author: XcountryRiderLocation: Pine Valley Ca PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:40 pm
    ----
Man some of the 6.8SPC guys can't leave well enough along. Anyone in there right mind would hunt medium to large game with a 30AR over a 6.8SPC. Nothing wrong with the 6.8SPC for medium to small game but its out leagued by the 30AR. 30AR is the all around best hunting caliber in the AR15 platform hands down. Problem is getting one and lack of options. Also you can't build it.

#44: Re: .30 Remington AR Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:13 pm
    ----
hmmm????
well not anyone really
I own and use a 7.62x39mm and a .270 either of which will do the biz given the chance.and I believe the guys with .308s or .243s would take um bridge with that comment too!!!!

#45: Re: .30 Remington AR Author: XcountryRiderLocation: Pine Valley Ca PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:48 pm
    ----
Elvis wrote:
hmmm????
well not anyone really
I own and use a 7.62x39mm and a .270 either of which will do the biz given the chance.and I believe the guys with .308s or .243s would take um bridge with that comment too!!!!

Your 7.62X39 has silly ballistics compared to the 30AR. Fine as a short range hog rifle for sure but seriously don't compare it to a 30AR. As far as 270's, 308's and 243 they don't exist in a AR15. I'm a 6.5mm Grendel guy and don't own a 30AR but ballistics are ballistics and the 30AR has it where it counts.

-> Spam-O-Rama