Some blues
-> Small Game Hunting

#1: Some blues Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:05 pm
    ----
My son Chris came up today. We headed up toward the British Columbia border looking for a bear. We didn't find any bears, but did find a few grouse. Chris made a very nice double on a pair of blue grouse. You mostly find these at the highest elevations, which we were at. They are nice big bird and fine eating. He also bagged a Spruce grouse, which also is found mostly at higher elevations. Was a great day to be out with him, and he did some nice shooting with the old 20 ga. Very Happy

#2: Re: Some blues Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:35 pm
    ----
nice looking birds. well done .

#3: Re: Some blues Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:39 pm
    ----
Nice.

#4: Re: Some blues Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:59 pm
    ----
Anytime you can spend a day in the field is wonderful. Bringing home some food for the pot is all the better.

#5: Re: Some blues Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:39 pm
    ----
Your boy done good mate. I hope he shared the feed with you later that night.

#6: Re: Some blues Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:58 am
    ----
Eye sight and reflex's does it every time......
20g big enough for bears?

#7: Re: Some blues Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:51 am
    ----
dhc4ever wrote:
Eye sight and reflex's does it every time......
20g big enough for bears?
Yep, the 20 ga. is big enough to really pee off a bear. The 300 WSM back in the truck takes care of them permanently. Very Happy

#8: Re: Some blues Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:40 am
    ----
Are spruce grouse as stuuned there as they are here? I watched my BIL actually catch one by the leg as it sat on a low branch in a larch tree.

#9: Re: Some blues Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:29 pm
    ----
MacD wrote:
Are spruce grouse as stuuned there as they are here? I watched my BIL actually catch one by the leg as it sat on a low branch in a larch tree.
Yes Mac, about the same here. Finding one is the hardest part. I have killed them with rocks in the past.

#10: Re: Some blues Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:44 am
    ----
Wait a minute!?!? I count three birds in the first picture but only two barrels, is that where the rocks come in?

#11: Re: Some blues Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:32 pm
    ----
slimjim wrote:
Wait a minute!?!? I count three birds in the first picture but only two barrels, is that where the rocks come in?

SJ, none of the grouse in these photos were harmed by any rocks. Laughing

-> Small Game Hunting