I was shot!
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> General

#1: I was shot! Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:31 pm
    ----
Well, My brother and I have been building that new shop out back and we got the framing inspection taken care of and hung all but the last bit of trim before installing the roofing when my ladder slipped a bit and jarred me just a bit. I am now back on muscle relaxers and pain meds because I seem to have strained my back. No, I didn't fall I just reacted to the movement of the ladder and have been down for three days. I went to the doctor today and got a shot (pretty little nurse gave it to me in the..........hip! and then got new drugs to keep me from whining like a little girl. Doc says it will likely take at least a month to get back to "normal" whatever that means. I am going to be putting the roofing on without ladders because I can just float up there.
I am hoping to be able to work but tomorrow will tell.

#2: Re: I was shot! Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:43 pm
    ----
Shocked Paul-I've been thru some of what you are going thru now and the best advice is -just take it easy for a while longer-sit back and sip on "something and be the "sidewalk superintendant"!I had one of those spinal fusions done back in 93,all went well until 97 when a car wreck bulged a couple more discs above and below the original fusion.Needless to say-pain was a way of life for a while-not F'n fun!Let your joints,and muscles relax,and then start some mild exercise-don't over do it or you will suffer!And a ladder is not a real good idear!BTDT-got the xrays to prove it! Embarassed

#3: Re: I was shot! Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:35 am
    ----
Sage words Troubles. Paul, I agree wholeheartedly with the comments Troubles posted. Take it easy and let things settle down before you put any stress on your back.

#4: Re: I was shot! Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:02 am
    ----
Paul, there comes a time when every man should hang up the ladder and pass it on to the younger generation that still bounce and don't do damage when flinching.
You have reached that time.
Get well soon.

#5: Re: I was shot! Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:32 pm
    ----
I was back up on a ladder today though I didn't do much work I did help. I plan on building my garage after I get this shop built. I'm not "superman" or 30 years old but I refuse to be too old to live life!
I am taking it easy, but I also want to be engaged. I will be careful and let myself heal but I am going to push all the way.

I know you guys care and I thank you for that. I can be semi active and stll heal quickly - I know I can.

#6: Re: I was shot! Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:50 pm
    ----
I think there is a point in life that day to day pains are part of living. I've done heavy railroad construction work for the last 38 years and it's telling. As I sit here writing this my lower back pain is shooting down my left leg, my hands hurt and my elbows ache. Advil has become a new best friend. If I just gave up I think it would only get worse so I go to work each day and learned to live with it.

#7: Re: I was shot! Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:48 am
    ----
Sciatic pain is terrible BB. I have an impinged sciatic nerve in my lower back and I also get pains down my leg...downright nasty and most annoying.

#8: Re: I was shot! Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:33 pm
    ----
Take a few days off Paul.
I first hurt my back 30 yrs ago running a D-8 Brush Cat.
Once in a while it will act up, and the only thing that I can do for it is rest.
I ran heavy equipment for most of my life, along with running snowmachines, now pay for it with day to day pain. Right now I'm nursing a stress fracture of my left knee. [I'd do it all over again though]

Just take a couple of days off.

Eric

#9: Re: I was shot! Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:31 am
    ----
good excuse for a nice deep hot bath!!!!
a spa would be either better.

#10: Re: I was shot! Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:32 am
    ----
Sucks to get Old.. But I agree with you on not living your life too. I'm 58, lived with a bad back for 30+ yrs.. I'm trying to learn how to roller blade.. Confused
Rock On Paul.. Very Happy

#11: Re: I was shot! Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:34 pm
    ----
I knew it!!
Bunch of old fart all of you!!
well.. me included..

#12: Re: I was shot! Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:15 pm
    ----
I am already feeling better. Stopped taking the meds to see how it would go with the spasms and pain - The spasms are a let less frequent and I can almost manage to control them on my own. The pain level is down to a manageable level so I am taking aspirin as an anti-inflamatory and a placebo for the tylenol-codeine. I am starting work on the second garage - got to get four walls up in three days - that is when the trusses are coming in.
The real test on my condition begins...

#13: Re: I was shot! Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:17 am
    ----
gelandangan wrote:
I knew it!!
Bunch of old fart all of you!!
well.. me included..

I resemble that remark mate. Haha Haha Haha

#14: Re: I was shot! Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:40 pm
    ----
me three!!!!! Embarassed
off work today and going to see the doctor, have twisted??? my leg and are sore from hip to ankle but cant fathum it at all??? plurry painfull it woke me at 02;00 just about in tears!!!!

I blame you Gel the suggestion of being an old fart did it!! Haha Haha

#15: Re: I was shot! Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:12 pm
    ----
It always amazes me when these sit at the desk politicians suggest raising the retirement age. They never worked a solid day in their lives let alone had to deal with working outside in all kinds of weather. It's hard to wear out your back when you've never had to use it. Biggest threat they face is falling off a bar stool.

-> General